Ecoboost Owner Forums

Thoughts on 10k oil change

The owner's manual recommends a 10k oil change; which I tried and had Ford do the work. I asked how the oil looked and they said it still looked pretty good.

And the car has an oil life indicator which seems to coincide about w/ the 10k recommendation.

Are people getting changes sooner? Thoughts on a 10k oil change? As I'm thinking of sticking to 10k.

I use Royal Purple. My car, a 2010, states 5w-20, but the more recent ones are 5w-30. So, I use 5w-30 between April and November (drag season) and 5w-20 when it's cooler. I pay 10.99$ plus tax per pint and it fits 6 pints exactly. I usually bring my oil to Ford dealer and they charge me around 30$ plus tax for the time and the filter. So, a bit over 100$ per oil change and I do about 4 per year at every 4-6K miles.

I have been trying to go 5Kish but have changed early the last couple times. My personal opinion is that Royal Purple is the best you can get, but I am running Castrol Edge right now which is pretty good. I got sucked into a John Force diecast with every 5 qt last time I bought oil...

Ford probably says 10K because they use semi synthetic from the factory. Synthetic doesnt break down like conventional so you can go longer between changes. That said it still gets dirty so going 7-10 would make me nervous.

10K between changes!:faint2: It's completely up to you but I change every 3,000 miles both oil and filter. I use Royal Purple 5w-20 and Royal Purple oil filter. I agree with Scrming, it's really cheap insurance. And as far as the oil change reminder on the car, you can adjust that to just about any interval you want. I set mine at 40% which is 3000 miles, since recommended in my manual is 7500 miles. I also understand that synthetic is supposed to last longer, but I know when I change my oil, it is black. It's not very scientific since I haven't had it chemically checked, but to me black isn't good, it means the oil is suspending a lot of gunk and dirt.

My Honda Goldwing has a recommended 8K interval and I follow that rec with Amsoil MCY 10w-40. At 95K the engine was torn down to replace an alternator dampening device and it looked brand new.

The vehicle that preceeded my SHO was a Honda Odyssey with a Maintenance Minder that typically suggested a change at around 6500, which I followed using Mobil 1 5w-20.

I intend to follow Ford's recommendation at changing my oil to Motorcraft full syn in my SHO at 0% on its Oil Life display. Ford/Honda/GM/or whoever engineers are much smarter than me and I'm sure they are not trying to get me to destroy my engine by having the vehicle's Oil Life display tempt me to use worn out oil. Oil today is not your daddy's 3K/3 month oil.

I do not and probably won't drag race my SHO. If I did I more than likely would change it more frequently, but even then I would be strongly tempted to trust the Oil Life display.

JMO

T

Ford/Honda/GM/or whoever engineers are much smarter than me and I'm sure they are not trying to get me to destroy my engine by having the vehicle's Oil Life display tempt me to use worn out oil. Oil today is not your daddy's 3K/3 month oil.

JMO

Not to disagree with you, because after all, you can do the fluid changes at whatever interval you feel comfortable with doing. However, I know that most Ford vehicles recommend transmission fluid change at 100K miles. And I know that is not what most people that are knowledgeable about transmissions say that that is far too long to go without change. While Ford says it is OK, they really don't recommend for longest life, honestly, the sooner you replace a vehicle the better for Ford. So while I do agree the oils today are much better then those of years gone by, I just can not bring myself to go for a long oil change interval.

My Honda Goldwing has a recommended 8K interval and I follow that rec with Amsoil MCY 10w-40. At 95K the engine was torn down to replace an alternator dampening device and it looked brand new.

The vehicle that preceeded my SHO was a Honda Odyssey with a Maintenance Minder that typically suggested a change at around 6500, which I followed using Mobil 1 5w-20.

I intend to follow Ford's recommendation at changing my oil to Motorcraft full syn in my SHO at 0% on its Oil Life display. Ford/Honda/GM/or whoever engineers are much smarter than me and I'm sure they are not trying to get me to destroy my engine by having the vehicle's Oil Life display tempt me to use worn out oil. Oil today is not your daddy's 3K/3 month oil.

I do not and probably won't drag race my SHO. If I did I more than likely would change it more frequently, but even then I would be strongly tempted to trust the Oil Life display.

JMO

Well, i don't know about GM engineers... Go do some research on the timing chain stretch on the GM's 3.6L V6 engines! The wife followed the Oil Life Monitor, which was programmed by these supposedly "smart engineers"... The result... stretched timing chains at 32,000 miles! And then those had to be replaced again at 80,000 miles! And what did GM do? They issued a recall to reprogram the Oil Life Monitor so it would make the oil change interval shorter... So yeah, go google, "gm 3.6 timing chain problems" There are GM dealerships that have guys who do nothing but change timing chains all day! Luckily our Acadia was still under warranty... otherwise it's a $3000 repair! I guess I should be happy about it though... after it happened the 2nd time the wife told me to dump the Acadia and we ended up with the Flex!!!

I don't know about GM engineers either. I just threw that into my response as a general reference to automotive engineers. And while I am not an automotive engineer I would think that a timing chain stretching would have more to do with design and metallurgy as opposed to oil life.

I don't know about GM engineers either. I just threw that into my response as a general reference to automotive engineers. And while I am not an automotive engineer I would think that a timing chain stretching would have more to do with design and metallurgy as opposed to oil life.

Nope... basically dirty oil was wearing out the chains, causing them to stretch... I know a GM engineer that is very familiar with the issue, having actually worked on the engine. His advice to me was point blank, IGNORE THE Oil Life Monitor! My V6 Camaro had the same exact motor as the wife's Acadia. The only difference... the wife had her oil changed based on the Oil Life Monitor, where as, in my Camaro I changed it every 3,000 to 5,000 miles depending on how hard i was driving it (trips to the track). Like I said the Acadia went through 2 sets of timing chains where as my Camaro had no timing chain issues after 50,000.

I've met plenty of automotive engineers... and I've heard all about what goes on inside the automotive companies... yes, a few engineers do care about your car... but i'm afraid a lot of them could careless if you wear your car out prematurely...

I do 4-5 k only because I drive very little, so basically, that is about 6 months. Essentially every 6 months or 5 k miles, whichever comes first - always full synthetic - usually Mobil1. 5w-20, as the cap indicates.

http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/TechnologyDevelopment/OPPTD_FLY_High-Efficiency-Oil-Filters.cfm

This kind of correlates w/ what a buddy of mine was saying who has been a mechanic for many, many years. With all the technology into the new cars, they run effecient with the fuel injection. Remember the days when we had to choke a vehicle!

And obviously it's ultimately up to each person with what they are comfortable with.

Interesting website, I think it is of some importance to note that it states that one should have oil anaylsis performed to extend change intervals. Bob, I'm in the same boat as you, with the limited amount of miles I put on my car, I tend to change oil every 4 months, even if I have not put 3000 miles on the car - again, as you stated. it's what I am most comfortable doing.

I go about 5k I use royal purple during the summer and mobile 1 during the winter, reason being in the winter time I dont drive my car hard at all. I sold amsoil for years and its a excellent product, but very few places stock readily so I go with what available. But from my learning of oil is synthetic lasts pretty much for ever it never breaks down. where is mineral base oil can expire right in the bottle 12mos wether you drive on it or not. With synthetic's it all about keeping it clean and this where oil analysis comes into play while you can filter out dirt and other particles, you can filter out fuel, coolant and water. And this how synthetic's can offer such a extend drain interval, as in amsoil some oil can be used up to 30k but do require filter changes at a certain interval through out the 30k and the replenishment of new re introduces new corrosion inhibiters, detergents, and acid neutralizers. Amsoil even has systems that are better suited for semi's and trucks that can accommodate the use of larger remote filters and all you do is replace filters and replenish and many semi truck drive often put hundred of thousands of miles on there oil all way up a million miles. But ever commercial use these systems are not very practical or cost effective, but in the case of semis where they hold about 15 gallons oil the cost saving is enormous. But 5k twice a year it works out to for both me and my wife's car, if we drove more then I would employ some of these extended drain interval methods.

A lot of manufacturers seem to be going the 10k route. I guess it saves them some coin on vehicles that have factory covered maintenance. I think its going to bite them in the @$$ one day but thats just my opinion.

In the past I've had some pretty dirty looking oil at 7500 mile intervals so even with a good synthetic I try to keep it around 5k.

• 3 years later...

What oil are you guys running? I know it's expensive but I was thinking of springing for maybe royal purple? Also what weight? If I remember correctly the cap says 5w-30?

I useto use 0w 30 to help with -40 cold starts without plugging in but car leaks alot of oil with that so for every vehicle I'll stick with the recommended also change my oil in October and in may don't care about mileage

Archived