Ecoboost Owner Forums

Do shifts end up getting less clunky?

Flak

I've been trying some tunes with the firmer shifting. I'm getting a lot of clunking into gear and lurching (the car clunks into first but doesn't go anywhere when you give it gas and then all of a sudden, bam and off you go). Is this because of the ecu re-learning my driving style? Because it's usually fine right after flashing the tune, but then the next day the trans seems to be having problems.

I'm getting a lot of clunking into gear and lurching (the car clunks into first but doesn't go anywhere when you give it gas and then all of a sudden' date=' bam and off you go).[/quote']

That sounds like what mine was doing stock before I had the TSB for the valve body/separator plate performed as well as the new ECU firmware per another transmission TSB. After the work outlined in both TSBs was performed, the car shifted MUCH better than it ever did before. My car is a 2011.

-Rod

Torrie's tune

I did not experience any issues with the trans before tunes

I bought the 2011 used a couple weeks ago, it only had 7k miles on it

I called Ford and a local dealer, was told there were no open TSBs on the car.

Are you switching tunes? From stock to tune and back? I would suggest leaving the tune installed for a longer period of time, and if the transmission still does the clunk, switch back to stock and leave it installed for a week and see if it still clunks or if it goes away. I have not experienced that with my car.

Flash it back to stock, take the car in and tell them your transmission problems, have them perform the TSB, drive it for a while, see of the TSB improves your shifting. If it only does it with the tune, don't know what to tell you. Maybe send you the files again and reload the new files into your car. Just make sure you call Torrie.

I called Ford and a local dealer' date=' was told there were no open TSBs on the car.[/quote']

There won't be any "open TSBs" on the car since TSBs are not like recalls, they are not mandatory to be performed. And I highly doubt that every TSB related to the 2011 Taurus SHO has been applied to your car. If you have symptoms that match the description from a TSB, and that particular TSB has not already been performed, the dealer should perform the steps outlined in the TSB to confirm the condition and perform the work described in the TSB. If your car is still within warranty, there should be no cost to you.

-Rod

There are ton's of these identical relative calibrations in the field for years without running into this specific problem. I have been on top of Nate every step of the way with revisions trying to find the root. What he is reporting and what I command are obviously two different things. Sometimes certain vehicles dislike calibration changes when the other 99% do. I'll obviously solve it.

There are ton's of these identical relative calibrations in the field for years without running into this specific problem. I have been on top of Nate every step of the way with revisions trying to find the root. What he is reporting and what I command are obviously two different things. Sometimes certain vehicles dislike calibration changes when the other 99% do. I'll obviously solve it.

You have been showing great patience with me, lol ;)

I'll flash it back to stock and try a different Ford dealer.

The transmission "issue" doesn't happen stock, nor does it happen with b3 Torrie. Though I just flashed it after work today and the others seemed fine the first day or two as well.

You have been showing great patience with me, lol ;)

I'll flash it back to stock and try a different Ford dealer.

The transmission "issue" doesn't happen stock, nor does it happen with b3 Torrie. Though I just flashed it after work today and the others seemed fine the first day or two as well.

No problem, not all vehicles are alike and I will follow through and do whatever is needed to meet and or exceed your expectations.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just as an update, loving torrie's tune. Got a crap load of work done on the car and have no complaints with the transmission now. And I'm also seeing higher gas mileage which is a bonus. Before getting the work done I was 17mpg, now I sit around 21-22mpg.

Just wanted to chime in and say that my 2012 is experiencing the same symptoms, but more intermittently. I am running the Livernois stage 4+ and have had it in to the dealer to address. They did one TSB on it, but admitted it was not intended to address that problem. They only said it was the latest update they had.

I left it stock for a week after and only once did I notice a similar "clunk", but it was much less noticeable. Once I put the tune back in, within a few days I started to notice again. I think it is likely a real issue even stock, but the tune makes it much more pronounced and frequent. I will probably put back stock again to do more testing before trying the dealer again, but I love the tune so much its hard to go back even for a week or two.

• 2 months later...

I noticed some clunking and the shifting from reverse to drive being a little slow which allowed the car to "hi"t so to say as I pulled away and after going back and forth ( tune or no tune ) I decided that these transmissions don't know how to behave without "torque management". I could be wrong, but it just seems like when it's off it "can be" but "is not always" sloppy. Sometimes the shift from 1-2 or 2-3 can be sloppy also and so I just let up a tiny bit and it shifts just fine but I also only had a few chances to try it. I know this much, when the time came and I got to SLAMM a Charger R/T my Taurus did more than I expected and beat the tar out of that car through 4-5 runs from 55 up, 70 up and so on as we slid through traffic and blasted up 294, so I have no fear of running, but it has shifted like shit sometimes.

Mine does it occasionally. Mines a 2010 with the Livernois stage 4+. When I reverse out and then shift to drive and hit the gas the car just revs like its in neutral, then bam! It goes into gear, lurches forward and makes a horrible clunking sound. Only happens every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone while I should be working.

Archived