Ecoboost Owner Forums

Just some pics of Headlight Tint by Rvinyl and Led upgrades.

Is there a how to on the headlight tint?

Actually it's not that bad to do. I got my tint from Lamin-X and they provide instructions. The only hint I would give you is to get a felt covered squeegee. It really makes installation go much smoother. I wish I would have had one when I did the tails. Also I have discovered that when using Lamin-X you do not have to get every little bubble out, they will work themselves out over the course of a few days or week.

@tss - I got the lightest tint available (since I really didn't want to lose any light) and I have not noticed any reduced output. The tint is dark enough that you can tell it is tinted but light enough that most people don't notice that the headlights are tinted.

Looks good. Stupid question potentially' date=' but doesn't your light output get negatively effected? Or is it deminimus?[/quote']

Not to steal any of Tom's fine looking work, but here is a picture of my headlights, I was disappointed with the photos because you can't really tell they are tinted, but since I was looking for a light tint and protection for the headlight bucket, I got exactly what I wanted, and after living with it for several months now, I am happy with the level of tint:

IMG_5508_1.jpg

The best how-to for the tint is to pay 50$ and leave it for a pro... It takes a lot of practice to have a perfect results...ayne the headlights aren't that baf' date=' but the tails are tricky for sure... I had mine done three times and watch the install every time...[/quote']

I agreee Steve doing the tails are tricky, but leaving them on the car makes it easier...I made the mistake of taking mine out to install the tint. Also the reason I did my own was that Lamin-X's installer wanted $90.00 for the installation and it was a 2 1/2 hour drive to the installer.

I like the protection idea....just called my local tint guy, who is awesome. He said 40 bucks for the headlights - for clear. I am going to get it done next week. He is going to try to talk me into doing the bumper, mirrors, fenders, partial hood as well. Undecided on that.

deminimus ?? WTF does that mean??

De minimis is a Latin expression meaning about minimal things, normally in the locutions de minimis non curat praetor ("The praetor does not concern himself with trifles") or de minimis non curat lex ("The law does not concern itself with trifles").[1][2]

I'm still confused.

Right ^^^ I hacked up the spelling a bit.... here is another definition that is easier to understand :

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/de%20minimis

Basically I was asking: Is the reduction in light output so small that nobody should be concerned about it.....

Guess I didn't pay enough attention during law school classes....but to answer your question with a much lengthier explanation: Since I do have a vision problem that has made it harder for me to see in low light situations this was a major concern and the reason I hesitated on doing any tinting of the headlights. However, Now having accumulated some driving time at dusk and night, I can report that my tint does not seem to have reduced the light enough to cause me problems. The one exception to this is driving on a road in the mountains with overhanging tree limbs on a night with little or no moon, I find myself now using high beams whereas before the tint I very rarely used them.

If my memory is good (and you can validate on lamin-x website), there are two tints available for head lights :6% or 12%. So, there is your answer. I have the 12% and it allows 88% of the light going through... Good enough for me. I also have a 6K HID upgrade, but I see well enough with it. That said, I look at Casper's and they look to be blocking at least 30%... that would be too much for me. The 12% were the perfect combo of look vs usefulness.

I am thinking I will go with the lowest tint they have. I want to be able to see as clearly as I do now, but also, SHOs look great with the tint - I started looking at some MKS' with the OEM factory dark tint headlights (Ecoboost Appearance Package), and I am not crazy about the look.

Thanks for the input mjhpadi and steve.

Looks great :thumb:

Did any of my "How-To" write ups help??

Yes thanks to you I wouldnt of never did this mod..I must have a later 2010 build because the spec chart says #168 for lic plate bulbs.. 6418 are the ones that go there and puddle lamps.

I like the protection idea....just called my local tint guy' date=' who is awesome. He said 40 bucks for the headlights - for clear. I am going to get it done next week. He is going to try to talk me into doing the bumper, mirrors, fenders, partial hood as well. Undecided on that.[/quote']

I don't know if they gravel roads in MI but up here they do. I had my entire front end, "A" pillar to 9" of roofline, front side of mirrors and had the headlights cleared. Also had them 30% my windows for 1425.00.

Archived