Ecoboost Owner Forums

Flash to pass unmarked police car....oops.

So I'm driving home from the zoo today, and I'm in the fast lane of course, and there are 4 or five cars stacked up in front of me. One by one they all change lanes and I'm left behind a grey 2008 or 2009 impala. He's going like 65 in a 60 and the people are passing him on the right. I give him a minute riding on his bumper thinking he'll move and when he doesn't I flash my headlights so I can pass. Sure enough the second I flash him the back deck lights up red and blue and I'm like oh crap I'm gonna get a ticket. Now here's the weird part. He slams on his brakes down to about 50 mph, and I figure he's slowing me down to pull over. Then all of a sudden he floors it, veers over into the slow lane at about 70mph and exits the highway. I don't get it.

So I'm driving home from the zoo today' date=' and I'm in the fast lane of course, and there are 4 or five cars stacked up in front of me. One by one they all change lanes and I'm left behind a grey 2008 or 2009 impala. He's going like 65 in a 60 and the people are passing him on the right. I give him a minute riding on his bumper thinking he'll move and when he doesn't I flash my headlights so I can pass. Sure enough the second I flash him the back deck lights up red and blue and I'm like oh crap I'm gonna get a ticket. Now here's the weird part. He slams on his brakes down to about 50 mph, and I figure he's slowing me down to pull over. Then all of a sudden he floors it, veers over into the slow lane at about 70mph and exits the highway. I don't get it.[/quote']

Got a call and it's your lucky day!

I got pulled over once here in Saginaw... Cop was ready write me up... radio crackles, in comes a robbery in progress call.. cop growled at me... told me it was my lucky day and he was off!

?.. I'm in the fast lane of course' date=' .....l.l.l.veers over into the slow lane at about 70mph and exits the highway. .[/quote']

I may be acting like a jerk here, but I gotta call you out.

There is no "fast" or "slow" lane. The left lane is the "passing" lane. The lanes to the right, that are not entrance or exit ramps are "travel" lanes.

There is one rule to rule them all on the highways....KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS.....

I don't care if you are doing 100. Keep in the right anes and move left to pass. There is always someone faster, don't make them wait on you to move over. We need to end the "fast" lane mentality.

Fast lane and passing lane often mean the same thing. On a multilane highway if all traffic is moving left to pass you typically end up with a slow lane and a fast lane as all cars passing are moving "faster" than the cars on their right. What I don't get is why this guy was in the left lane. He's clearly not running speed traps as he was already speeding. He's not trying to deter speeding by pacing the traffic as he's in an unmarked car, hence no effect. A marked car going the speed limit in the left lane I get, clearly there to slow down traffic, but essentially all he was doing was obstructing the flow of traffic and making people pass him on the right, which multiple people had already done before me at high speed. Again clearly not there for speeding. As a police officer he should know that the flow of traffic has a large effect on how safe driving is, so why the attitude of lights and slammed brakes when he already knows he's in the wrong lane and I ask him to move. Like I said before I just don't get it.

I guess every state has there on take on the left lane, for me it has always been the fast lane. Either way whatever you want to call it is not used correctly. And there is no enforcement on, my biggest pet peeve is people pulling a trailer. The same rules apply to them as semi trucks, they are suppose to use the far right lane at 55mph.

The lights didn't happen to look like these, did they? For $30 anyone can pretend they drive a cop car.

sku_15751_6.jpg

Maybe he was toying with you, then noticed you were driving a Taurus and thought, "Oh, crap, I just flashed a cop!" and exited the highway quickly. He's probably telling all his buddies about how he out maneuvered a cop right now.

-Rod

I was just going to say ^^^^. I am a moderator on an Impala forum and there are loads of posers. We call them out all the time and admonish them. They buy a used stripped 2006+ Impala Police Spec 9c1 or unmarked detective Imapla 9c3 and then load them back up with spotlights, fake antennas, and illegal lights.

I see the same thing with Crown Vics around here and in a few yuears expect to see Ecoboost Interceptors rigged up the same way. I have many friends who serve and protect, and they hate them. Guaranteed ticket for even a minor violation if they get pulled over.

A few weeks ago I was driving on a two lane interstate in the right hand lane. A three car convoy passed me and just as the third car cleared me the middle car lit up like a cop car all red and blue. Poor guy in the first car was so shook he went off the road to the left in a cloud of dust and dirt. The third car ducked in front of me and the trucker in back of me was making some really weird braking noises. Faux cop car drove off like nothing special. No one got hurt but it could have been a lot worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Impersonating a police officer gets you a free ride in a real cop car. :thumb:

Don't want to go too OT, but the coolest time I ever got pulled over by an unmarked was in 1993 on the Massachussetts Turnpike at 7am...in my new black 1993 Cutlass Supreme Coupe, by a brand new black Lincoln LSC. It was just the two of us alone out there, with my wife heading back to MI from MA. Thankfully, I never "engaged" with him because I knew an LSC would demolish me , so I only got a ticket for 70 in a 55 (highway speed limit was 55 back then). In retrospect, he clearly was trying to bait me into going faster..... coolest unmarked ever! Back then we knew that the MA State Police were using 5.0 Mustang LX', but this was the first and only time I saw an unmarked Lincoln - and of course I got a ticket...LOL. I told him how much I liked his car, he did not care.

Funny you mention cool unmarked cars, our local PSP (Pennsylvania State Police) troop got an unmarked Mustang Cobra back when the Mustangs were still Fox bodies. It was metallic brown with the big Cobra decal on the hood, no one ever suspected it of being a police car. Only problem was that it didn't remain at one barracks for long, because once the word got out that it was in the area (after many stops), the car was moved into a different area. I can't tell you how many unsuspecting guys with performance cars had a meeting with that Cobra.

Archived