Ecoboost Owner Forums

Winter Tires for the Factory 20's

It's getting to be that time where I need to find a set of winter tires for my car and I am just wanting to get a set of tires to throw on my factory 20's. The problem is there aren't a lot of options in the 245/45R20 size. I can get the Blizzak LM-60's or a set of Pirelli's which I'm not too interested in. The set I am really wanting are technically a Light Truck & SUV tire, the Blizzak DM-V1's. The closest size they seem to come in is 245/50R20 which would throw my speedo off a little over 3% which is no big deal as I can compensate for that with my programmer. I am just uncertain if they will fit in the wheel well or not. Does anyone know if they would fit properly or how i can determine if a certain size tire will fit?

Unless your lowered you shouldn't have any issues with 245/50 fitting. For me atleast since the SHO is AWD a dedicated snow tire isn't needed so i typically would run a really good A/S tire. Since they last longer and perform better when the ground isn't covered in snow or ice. If it was just a FWD or RWD car i would do snow tires, which i've done in the past. Here in Ohio we get a lot of days without snow/ice on the roads and it doesn't get that cold here. I don't know what the weather is like in SD.

Have you thougth about getting a new set of rims? I put 18" wheels w/Blizzaks on last winter and they worked fine (okay we had very little snow but) two main advantages - quick install (I waited until the last minute and put them on the night before the first snow) and the 18" tires are MUCH cheaper.

I do agree that with AWD a good set of All Season tire will do the trick - once my factory summer tires wear out that will be the path I take. Then I can offload the rims/tires and be all set

Well we have snow packed roads for 4-5 months, so i would like something that is going to stick when I accelerate and, more importantly, when I stop. All seasons do not even compare to a quality ice and snow tire.

In regards to buying a new rim...that is where I have a dilemma. If I am going to spend the money to get a new set of wheels, I would get a summer set and run the stock ones in the winter. This leaves me in the same boat I'm currently in...looking for a set of 20" Ice and Snows : /

• 1 month later...

Well the 245/50R20 Blizzak DM-V1's were awaiting me when I got home from work tonight. I put them next to my car and they look bigger than i was expecting. Has anyone run this exact size on their car? I realize they wont sit as close to the top part of the fender-well when they are mounted, as the car will be raised half of that height, but I was looking more on the sides and I'm nervous about them rubbing when I turn.

Maybe they will be fine and It's just my nerves getting the best of me.

I ll have to go check but I think my winter tires (with OEM 20" mags) are Blizzak 245-45-20. If yours are 50, they are half an inch too high or 5%off specs...

Ok I went outside in tshirt in the snow to look and they are Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 245-45-R20 99H. They are a perfect fit, drive well and look great.

Good luck!

I would look at getting some cheap 18" alloys. Most stores have decent clarance prices right now. So if you grab a 18x8 rim and find a set for $100/rim then get some rubber 235/60/18 (I think this fits a 18x8 and your DMV1 has this size ;) ) your total cost will prob be close to what the 20" tires are running you alone.

Then next year you can find some nice summer rims/tires and sell your stock ones to someone with a non-SHO. ;)

Yeah, I'm pretty set on running winter tires on the factory rims and then getting a nice set of rims for the summer months with a high perf. summer tire. I'm just debating wether this 245/50r20 will fit or not. Everyone seemed to think it would when i ordered them so i guess I'll give them a shot. It's expensive to ship them back so I sure don't want to have to do that.

Oh, and thank you for going out in the snow to check Steve, much appreciated. It's been damn cold here lately. We had some good snow storms for a couple days last weekend and the wind chill was around -30 the one day. I'm actually quite surprised how these factory Michelins have handled in the snow/ice, but I can't wait to find out how these Blizzak's stick.

I was planning to just haul my Rims and Tires in a pickup to get them mounted instead of taking my car, that way I don't have to worry about some idiot screwing up my car, but I'm wondering if maybe it would be a smart idea to just take the whole car so they can check for rubbing before they get them all mounted.

Went out and took a few pictures. Most of them probably aren't going to do much good as it was hard to find a good angle to get a decent comparison.

This first one will probably be the best to determine things. That is the front drivers side tire with the wheel turned to the left. My hand is reaching around the side and I can almost touch the plastic in the fender with my knuckles. Not a good sign : /

20121212_210313.jpg

20121212_210247.jpg

20121212_205856.jpg

20121212_205758.jpg

20121212_205743.jpg

Well I'm fairly certain that they will rub so I'm going to have to send them back...there goes $200 down the drain. That was my only chance of getting a decent Ice and Snow tire as I can't get any closer in size. Yes, I could get the LM-60 which is a performance winter tire, but those are so close to a decent All Season that I have no desire to run two set's of rims/tires with something like that.

I do have one chance of coming out of this not quite as bad. My friends mom has a new Jeep Liberty Sport with the 20's and they just happen to take the same exact size tire, so he's going to get a hold of his dad tomorrow to see if they are interested. If so I will just sell him them at my cost, minus shipping which would save me 100 bucks and be a heck of a deal for them.

In either case, I am thinking I will just keep running these crappy Michelins through the winter and then get a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS's for either my factory rims or for http://www.vossenwheels.com/wheels/VVS084.aspx depending on how much extra cash I have laying around after the snow clears up.

Here in Quebec the all-season are not allowed (winter tires mandatory) between Dec 15 and Mar 15. When I bought the car last year in Februaru 2011, it was so close to March 15, that I drove with the all-season for two weeks. With AWD, it seems just fine but the problem is when braking, AWD has nothing to do and it is very dangerous when the road is very cold or has black ice. I purchased the Blizzak and it is night and days! Even if it wasn't mandatory, I wouldn't consider driving all-season during winter. The risk of accident is exponential. Please consider. Better prevent then be sorry.

; )

Steve, I am not surprised that you like the Blizzak tires. Seems that Bridgestone is making some nice tires. I know on my F-150 I had the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo tires and I could not have been happier with them. They were great handling and had great traction in rain, snow, and ice. Only downside was they weren't great in mud, but then again, they weren't off-road tires and I very rarely went off-road. Plus they lasted for over 50K miles.

Just to add on the importance of winter tires:

They remain softer when it is cold so it takes less disctance to brake. Could be the difference between an accident or not. It's true that the all-season are impressive, but they are mainly because of the AWD system, not necessarely because they are great tires. They are worth crap in the cold when it is time to brake or do a fast manoeuvre. Anywhere where it goes under freezing point for more than 2 months should not even consider keeping their all-season, they are imo more dangerous than the ones street racing! Think about it...

Well some more bad news today. I've been in contact with Vossen who hooked me up with WheelsPerformance.com, one of their resellers, who has informed that they are discontinuing the VVS084. Now i have been looking at rims for months debating what I was wanting to get, so this is very disappointing. I guess maybe I'm just destined to have the factory rims/Michelin's forever.

Just to add on the importance of winter tires:

They remain softer when it is cold so it takes less disctance to brake. Could be the difference between an accident or not. It's true that the all-season are impressive, but they are mainly because of the AWD system, not necessarely because they are great tires. They are worth crap in the cold when it is time to brake or do a fast manoeuvre. Anywhere where it goes under freezing point for more than 2 months should not even consider keeping their all-season, they are imo more dangerous than the ones street racing! Think about it...

I second this. The best all season will not compare to the cheapest winter on cold roads.

Well some more bad news today. I've been in contact with Vossen who hooked me up with WheelsPerformance.com' date=' one of their resellers, who has informed that they are discontinuing the VVS084. Now i have been looking at rims for months debating what I was wanting to get, so this is very disappointing. I guess maybe I'm just destined to have the factory rims/Michelin's forever.[/quote']

Maybe it is a sign to get dedicated 18" wheels for winter. ;)

Archived