Ecoboost Owner Forums

Problems while returning to stock.

timbo

I have the SCT tuner and had the Livernois stage 4 tune on it last night at the strip. 13.1 btw. So I went to return my car to stock and all sorts of problems showed up. Has anyone experienced this? The car did not turn back to stock and was saying there was an error and couldn't do it. The car does not start anymore. The accessories turn on and the fuel pump primes, but nothing happens when I go to start it.

A little history about the car. 2 months after I got it (Feb '11) a tree was struck right by it and arced through the car. Had the main ECU and 5 or 6 sensors were replaced (over $3K for all that stuff). I'm hoping it is a problem that might stem from that. Since it's my only car, I had it towed to the Ford dealer by me. They are pretty "friendly" to my Modded SHO. Only has the magnaflow catback and the tuner. I usually run it stock for fuel economy, then put the tune in on the weekends/drag nights.

Any help is appreciated.

I didn't get the tunes from Livernois until after the computer was replaced, so everything was based on the replacement computer. I unplugged the battery to "reset" the computer, pulled different fuses to check if they were blown...even though that didn't make sense to me. Of course, I don't understand how a car can work almost all the way, except for starting. It then starts saying there's a problem with the BLIS, oil, check engine, etc. It will get looked at on Monday. Now I just have to figure out how to do my grocery shopping tomorrow. I was going to leave to do that when the car decided not to work.

It said the file install had failed. I tried numerous times, but it did not work. I really hope this gets fixed soon. It's my only car right now. Makes me want to get a motorcycle, but the Marine Corps makes that a pain in the ass. It makes sense why they do, but it's still a pain.

I believe he took it to the dealer to be fixed.

As an FYI. If something like this happens to anyone, get in touch with SCT or your tuner company of choice first. 9 out of 10 times, they can fix the issue for you and save you a trip to the dealer. If it is SCT, I know they have emergency tech support on weekends for vehicles that have a no start condition like this.

Yeah I learned the hard way on my Mustang... turned it stupid... before a big trip. Luckly I work at dealership so it wasnt a big deal, but the tuner had to be sent in and thats when they told me they could have fixed it...lol

I believe he took it to the dealer to be fixed.

As an FYI. If something like this happens to anyone, get in touch with SCT or your tuner company of choice first. 9 out of 10 times, they can fix the issue for you and save you a trip to the dealer. If it is SCT, I know they have emergency tech support on weekends for vehicles that have a no start condition like this.

These are the kind of issues that give me pause about ordering a tuner. I worry most about the dealership finding remnants of the tune if I had to go in for warranty work. That is to say.... Suppose I have to go in for warranty work, and I want to return the tune to original stock. Can this be done cleanly??? Back in the early 2000's, tuners used to leave some "remnants/fingerprints" behind after returning to stock and the dealerships could see that there had been a tune installed, and thus, void the warranty.

Do modern tuners of the day return a clean stock tune?? Totally invisible to the inspecting dealership?? And how easy is it for the average "joe" to remove a tune and return to stock.

I'm a pre OBDII laptop tuner that never had to worry about the complexities of trying to tune an OBDII vehicle and have to return it to stock when needed.

And what advice would you have for someone like me that would like a nice tune for my Lincoln MKT that has to be driven daily by the wife, but still would pep it up without making it obnoxious. I'll not be modifying the intake or exhaust, simply because I want to keep the incredible quietness of the MKT.

We want smooth quiet performance!! If either of us has a need for noisy, scary fast driving, we can each jump into our own Grand National.

Unfortunately problems loading tunes can happen for any reason. Bumping the cord with your leg or low voltage with the battery. SCT recommends hooking up a charge pack or battery charger while flashing, but not many follow their suggestion, myself included. I was loading a tune a few months ago and my battery died while in the process. I never would have thought my battery was low, but it turned out is was. Luckily it wasn't at a crucial point in loading the tune.

If you deal with a reputable tuner company like SCT or Livernois, they can usually get you back up and running no matter what goes wrong. Unfortunately, most panic and tow it to the dealer, which pretty much guarantees lots of questions and warranty issues.

"Back in the early 2000's, tuners used to leave some "remnants/fingerprints"

Not true unless the tune was left in while taken to the dealer. Darrell is correct. Number of flashes / key starts since flash. Most of the info out there is total crap.

Unfortunately problems loading tunes can happen for any reason. Bumping the cord with your leg or low voltage with the battery. SCT recommends hooking up a charge pack or battery charger while flashing, but not many follow their suggestion, myself included. I was loading a tune a few months ago and my battery died while in the process. I never would have thought my battery was low, but it turned out is was. Luckily it wasn't at a crucial point in loading the tune.

If you deal with a reputable tuner company like SCT or Livernois, they can usually get you back up and running no matter what goes wrong. Unfortunately, most panic and tow it to the dealer, which pretty much guarantees lots of questions and warranty issues.

"Back in the early 2000's, tuners used to leave some "remnants/fingerprints"

Not true unless the tune was left in while taken to the dealer. Darrell is correct. Number of flashes / key starts since flash. Most of the info out there is total crap.

Thanks for all the great info!! But like I quoted derreli, wouldn't a number of reflashes raise some eyebrows/suspicions?

Archived