Ecoboost Owner Forums

Illuminated door sill

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just confirmed from the factory service manual that the scuff plate LEDs in the 2011 MKS are powered from the same circuit as the rest of the interior lights at splices S203 and S336. These splices appear to be located basically to the side of the footwells on each side of the car.

The gray/violet wire goes to the LED anode, the black/* goes to the cathode. It looks like the feed to most of the interior lights are gray/violet so hopefully the correct bundle of wires should be reasonably easy to locate. You could also tap in to Pin 9 of the Smart Junction Box. The same pin number and wire color applies to the SHO (at least the 2011).

-Rod

Recon makes illuminated door sills for the Super Duty pick ups. I don't know if they would be interested in making ours, but someone could give them a ring.

http://www.gorecon.com/product.php?pk=129&pname=Part-264121FDBK-Ford-SUPERDUTY-99-12-Black-Billet-Door-Sill-Blue-EL

^^^^Sent them an email to see if they would be interested.

I know I don't get to vote here, but I strongly suggest SHO. It's what makes your cars awesome - the SHO package. They are not cool because they are Taurus', they are cool because of the trim/package. If not SHO, then I would go for FORD myself. No offense, but Taurus conjures up vanilla rental car images in my head. Great cars, but still.......

... Taurus conjures up vanilla rental car images in my head. Great cars' date=' but still.......[/quote']

Hah! It does. So many people go "but it's a Taurus" it's the trim that does it. I don't go around poking fun at a Prius, although how could you not...

I dunno, I love how the hubby's Mustang says Mustang in the sill and there's Ponies everywhere on that thing. It does already say Taurus down there but it doesn't illuminate. It'd be nice to have the two options but I guess the first task is tracking down someone willing to make them and do a good job on the fabrication because I won't just put any thing in my car just because it lights up. Quality counts here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they use "SHO" then I'd want it to be the same font as the rest of the SHO logos. As we're aware, that font is rather difficult to come by and I'm not sure how well a mill would do with a converted bitmap or scan. At least if the Taurus logo doesn't match in text it won't necessarily stand out like a different "SHO" font would in my mind.

-Rod

Just my 2cents. I been gone for a while but, I've done this job in the plant and there's no possible way that the mks plate will fit on the Taurus. The metal is made different. U have to literally beat the Lincoln plate down with a mallet because of the way it's made. It's a different length and shape. The Taurus plate is wider and about 3 inches longer.

Just my 2cents. I been gone for a while but, I've done this job in the plant and there's no possible way that the mks plate will fit on the Taurus. The metal is made different.

U have to literally beat the Lincoln plate down with a mallet because of the way it's made.

It's a different length and shape.

The Taurus plate is wider and about 3 inches longer.

1st of all Greg..... nice to see you making an appearance every now and then. Hope all's going well for you down on the assembly line(s) in KY was it?

2nd.... Taurus's, like their owners, are probably 3in wider and longer than their respected Lincoln counterparts. :boink:

Also, all of you guys interested in these sills, may motivate me enough to get off my own arse and hit up a local outfit here in Chi-Town that I know has the capabilites of producing these.

Although, I fear they may be pricey to say the least.

I'm imagining some variant of re-purposing the sill plates currently installed into our SHO's (that simply read 'TAURUS')

And then completely fabricating a new piece for the rear doors that would read 'SHO' (which would be cool cuz it's a smaller area & more conducive to that verbage, in that location).

Mike, I agree I would love to see this get made, but like you I'm afraid it would be pricey, although they are available (aftermarket) for Mustangs...so I would think that making a Taurus sill plate would increase market demand.

Lastly, it was nice to see Greg (TaurusBuilder) posting, I had been wondering if Greg was still around. Would be great to see more of him here!

Archived