Ecoboost Owner Forums

New Hawk Pads & Power Slot Rotors

Install some new Hawk Performance pads, PowerSlot rotors front & rear on my SHO yesterday. Also painted the calipers with some G2 Caliper paint while I had it apart. Will post some photos tomorrow, but the upgrade did it's job. The car stops much better now. Slight increase in noise when braking, but very minimal.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much did the entire set up set you back?

Who / What vendor did you purchase them from?

I have been recently checking out EBC's site for their brake products for our line of cars.

So besides your pics you will be posting, it'd be great for you to share with the community that additional 411 :thumb:

***This post sent from my DROID3 using the 'Tapatalk' App***

I ordered the brakes from AutoAnything.com.

Front & Rear Hawk Brake Pads

Front & Rear PowerSlot Rotors

$444.50 Shipped.

I ordered the G2 Caliper Paint from Stage 3 Motorsports. It is available all over, but they had the best price ($39).

If you go with the Hawk Pads, there is a small issue during installation. To be able to reinstall the retainer clips, you will need to drill a couple small holes in the pads. No biggie, just not something you will know until (nor do they tell you) after the fact. Not sure if EBC is the same or not.

AutoAnything usually runs email deals / discounts / promo codes, etc fairly often. So good deal on that stuff.

As far drilling holes in the pads, not sure where those holes (in relation to the pads) need to be drilled.

Do tell, do tell.

AutoAnything usually runs email deals / discounts / promo codes, etc fairly often. So good deal on that stuff.

As far drilling holes in the pads, not sure where those holes (in relation to the pads) need to be drilled.

Do tell, do tell.

There is two spring type clips that keep the pads away from the rotors, I assume to prevent squeal. The ends rest in some holes in the factory pads, the Hawk pads don't have the holes for the clips to sit in. I will get a photo of the factory pads tomorrow to show you what I mean.

I hope so, I guess we will see. Right now I am less impressed with the Hawk pads. Gonna call them tomorrow and have a chat about their pads. Not only do they not come with the holes drilled for the retainer / spreader clips, when looking at them compared to the stock pad, the surface of the pad is a different shape and has less contact with the rotor. We'll see what they say, but if I had to guess, they didn't look real close if at all to a stock pad when engineering them. Might be switching to EBC.

I upgraded my rotors/brakes on my Flex. Wanted EBC Red pads (ordered from AutoAnything - but order was cancelled 2 months later with no ship date).

Ended up with Stop Tech front pads, and aftermarket ceramic pads for rear. Have Powerslot front rotors and rear rotors from TireRack. MUCH improved stopping. NO noise difference. Only negative is a great deal of brake dust... Easily worth the trade-off..... Have somewhere between 6 & 7 K on them with no issues (Yet). Unfortunately, Hawk pads aren't available for the Flex, even though I thought our brakes were the same. (Guess Not...)

I hope so' date=' I guess we will see. Right now I am less impressed with the Hawk pads. Gonna call them tomorrow and have a chat about their pads. Not only do they not come with the holes drilled for the retainer / spreader clips, when looking at them compared to the stock pad, the surface of the pad is a different shape and has less contact with the rotor. We'll see what they say, but if I had to guess, they didn't look real close if at all to a stock pad when engineering them. Might be switching to EBC.[/quote']

I have no experience with Hawk, but I did have EBC pads and rotors after the Powerslots. I was very impressed with both the EBC pads and dimpled rotors. I do know the pads had more brake dust, but stopping was improved and the rotors outlasted the Powerslots and the stock rotors. Now this was on a 98 F-150 that had disc fronts and drum rears. But I would buy EBC again without hesitation.

• 4 weeks later...

Found out the issue with the Hawk pads. They only offer pads for Performance Package equipped Taurus's. They will fit, but don't seem to do a great job. I ended up buying a set of Stop Tech for the front. I still had to drill the holes for the spreader clips, but they matched the non-PP pads perfectly. They made a huge difference over stock and a difference over the Hawk pads. Only downside I have seen is the brake dust, but doesn't bother me much, the car gets washed at least once a week so no biggie.

Not available currently (at least as far as I am aware of).

The same vendor that has been taking months to complete my catless down pipes, had also proposed at one point doing these (steel braided brake lines).... but that was well over a year ago, if not longer.

So umm yea, wouldn't hold your breath.

When you install the hawk pads, you need to follow their break (brake) in guide. They are definatly my favorite in my Audi's in the mountains of Colorado. I hope that you have better luck with them. I will be moving towards those when my pads wear out. I was initially worried about them, like you, but the pads settled in and then they were awesome! Very strong and low dust.

• 4 weeks later...

I've always used Hawk pads(HPS & HP+) with great results on other cars. Initially for the SHO i was going to get a 14" brembo kit installed on the front, since i found the 6piston calipers for $600pr. Since then i've decided to go with EBC yellowstuff so i can be more warranty friendly.

I've always used Hawk pads(HPS & HP+) with great results on other cars. Initially for the SHO i was going to get a 14" brembo kit installed on the front' date=' since i found the 6piston calipers for $600pr. Since then i've decided to go with EBC yellowstuff so i can be more warranty friendly.[/quote']

Is there a Brembo kit that will bolt on without modification?

There is not direct fit kit but a custom mounting bracket can be made up with no problem. That is what was done with all the custom SHO's at SEMA and DUB. This year i'm going to run the EBC yellows with new blank rotors and see how it holds up at the track. If i run into any issues i'll look in to getting the brembo's for next year.

• 4 weeks later...

Autoanything prices on EBC Rotors & Pads for 2010-2012 SHO.

2 Front rotors - $208. 2-Rear Rotors - $144. Red Pads Front - $87.51 Red Pads Rear - $87.51 Green pads (Front only) $68.00 Yellow Pads (front only) $142.40 EBC RED & 4 ROTORS - $527.

There is a sale currently with 10% off these prices. Code is: EMR 1226P

Installation cost about $200.

Total about $700.

Archived