Ecoboost Owner Forums

Lets play guess Darreli's whp/wtq..

Livernois Motorsports

447hp/502lbs

If Mike and Darrell see a 11.7 and 120-122 mph, that is an increase of 0.4 and about 5-7 mph... So an extra 40-70 hp is required... I don t remember the previous numbers, but I think they were similar to mines if tenps were better. So from 407hp/430lbs.. So a bump of 40 hp and 70 lbs seems about right... Now let s put that power to the ground would you? My recommendation: try putting back the 20" heavy OEM wheels with Hankook tires... Go to the track and pay them an extra 200$ for glue, follow a muscle car that would have heated up the track and do 11.7 at 122mph!!!

Steve!! Did you say put "heavier" wheels on to go quicker??!??! Lol

Anyway, you're pretty warm on your guess...putting the power to the ground is definitely the struggle...I don't think the Hankooks would cut it...I'm running a 200 treadwear rated tire now with the NT05s...I agree though that the heavier wheels may help

This thread is actually kind of funny....... even funnier that Rick started it! :nod:

Anyhow, impressive #'s for sure :hail:

It was interesting to watch the transformations that Darrell was progressing through as the night went on over at the Milan Dragway.

Darrell (admittedly so) was rather timid starting out. Not sure what, if anything, would be the weak point during any of his runs.

Some of us joked at the starting line as Darrell was hurtling down the track, to playfully ask him if he heard a "clang" or "thud" or even better, if he saw that undescribable chunk of metal flying out from under his car when he returned after each run.

But we opted to spare him the added stress.

As he continued with each successful pass, the sense of relief was quite apparent. Not just on his face. But from head to toe.

One could see the grin growing on Darrell's face, the tension from his body leave as he became more agile and giddy, realizing that the car was holding up.

Not only holding up, but doing so quite well, each and every successive time.

A true testament not only to FMC for building such a stout car, but also to Dan Millen and his ability to program and/or work around all of the built in fail safes erected by FMC with the stock tune file.

Congrats to all involved. Darrell and LMS's feats will continue to turn heads well into the future of the EcoBoost platform.

Great job fella's :thumb:

Wow, these numbers are impressive by themselves and they are at the wheels!!! I had calculated a drivetrain loss of 21.4% when I had my car dynoed a bit more than a year ago when comparing Livernois' tunes with stock. So, let's say that the same loss applies to hp and torque that would give about 553hp/662lbs!!! From a V6!!! hahaha! These are similar numbers to the Bentley Continental GT Speed with its W12 6.0L Twin Turbos developping 616hp and 590lbs of torque. Or the Lambo Aventador with V12 6.5L of 700hp and a «poor» 509hp... The ZR1 Corvette: V8 6.2 L Supercharged 638hp/604lbs. hahaha! IMO it fits right with them!

Excellent job guys!

Thanks guys!!

They are good numbers!! Very happy...there's definitely more in there, it's now just about how much the stock engine/drivetrain will handle. I'm sure I'll find that out at some point...would like to make at least 1 11sec pass before we turn it up more. Again, big kudos to Dan, I know he spent ALOT of time trying to get around PCM limits. I saw just a few sections of parameters on this ECM and there are literally thousands of tables in just those couple section..my hats off to him..and much appreciation for taking the time

Steve I am with you but cores are the problem. This placed doesnt have them, and is upgraded the cores guys are sending in. I had planned on getting core turbos upgraded and selling mine after the swap. WELL junk yard turbos are going for more then new! Tasca is the cheapest place I have found new, emailed a couple of "discount" Ford parts places for their prices tonight.

The cores are definitely the problem, there is one set floating around but its not even a correct pair. The housing off one of the turbos is pre-production...the turbo itself was pre-production but it was fixed. The turbo upgrade that Mike and I have is a Livernois exclusive. Contact them if you're interested.

I'm probably totally going to get hammered by you guys for this but I have to admit I'm a little bit disappointed in that hp number. The torque is rock crushing for sure but I'd like to see it carry that powerband farther out. I haven't seen a dyno graph of this yet but I'm guessing it falls off similarly to the stock turbos on the high end. If the turbos are so darned efficient and running a good solid 20psi in their efficiency range there should be a lot more power up top. If they maintained 90% of their peak torque up to 6500rpm they'd be making 580whp!!!

Please don't take this as knocking what anyone has accomplished here. I'm grateful as heck that there are good people making good parts for our cars and pioneers willing to take the chances to test them out. I will certainly be following in your footsteps. The main point of my post is WHY IS THE POWER DYING OFF ON THE HIGH END? Is it the heads? Stock exhaust manifolds? Just curious if anyone has any ideas. I don't think our cars need any more torque. They need to hold on to that torque for a few more rpm is all I'm asking.

P.S.: Please no comments about "but this is at the WHEELS" etc. I do get it. I just thought there'd be more hp is all. Thanks! :)

Not going to "hammer" you at all but I will add my 2 cents for what it's worth..

The horsepower doesn't really fall off. It makes over 400hp from about 4600rpm peaks at 5500 and is 425 at 6500.

The torque peaks at 3000 and then falls off but boost drops too at the same time. Who knows how efficient the turbos are really at this point...I've personally never made claim. The exhaust side could probably use some work. The housing could use work. The exhaust outlet on the housing is only about 2 1/4" (I'll measure later and confirm) ....so can things be improved? I'm sure! Can we get more horsepower out of the current combination...definitely!

Now my point to this whole post..I have no type of "little man syndrome" the goal for me was never to see how much horsepower I could make...the goal from the beginning for me has been to put the first car in the 11s...for that to happen a couple things need to happen and Dan has always known my goal. The car has to make "enough" power to do it...it does...it has to hold together long enough to do it...which it seems like it will...it has to have the traction...IT DOES NOT...I could make 1000hp and if the car doesn't get down the track it doesn't matter to me. So right now, in MY opinion I don't need anymore horsepower..I need a suspension setup that will allow me to go down the track.

However, if you want to try to see how much horsepower you can make in the 3.5l I say do it!

Just a little incite that hasn't been mentioned yet, on finding this new found power. And I emphasize "new found power" the modded turbo and down pipes while gave the car ability to make more but due fail safes installed by ford Dan was running into wall at one point where nothing he could do to get more power. As if ford had put a cap on how much power they would allow the engine to make. But now that Dan has found his way passed this fail safe and with more development of the new tune there is no telling what kind of numbers we will see, but this new found power is just in its infancy.

Darreli, you are correct in everything you state...a lot of people don't realize the importance of suspension to overall performance at getting down the drag strip in the quickest time possible. Horsepower is important, but as you properly state, if you can't transfer that into forward momentum it doesn't mean a lot. Many, many years ago here in the Northeast there was a guy (John Troxell) who raced (at that time) in the stock class in an Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. That guy was a suspension genius! It was amazing to watch his suspension "work" as the car went down the track. I'm thinking that with our cars being AWD and new design, it may take some trial and error to get the suspension right. I'd bet that there has not been much work done in the suspension area, especially as it applies to drag racing with the SHO. Anyway, good luck with finding the combination.

Darrell......

I can shoot you the contact info for my friend over at H&R if you'd like?

Not sure if they'd be of any assistance, or not :noidea:

I would agree with Mark though, I think outside of lowering springs, and maybe spacers, I can't recall any other product offerings / upgrades that are, or would be Suspension related.