Ecoboost Owner Forums

Ford Focus ST - New exhaust!

yeah, yeah... i know... "i'm not modding the ST..." well, that failed miserably! LOL! But it really wasn't my fault! Scott from MRT twisted my arm to let me try out the new MRT Eco-Flow exhaust on the ST... This is the prototype!

[video=youtube;qO1p66JAVrk]

So far I'm very impressed with the the system! I had a 90 minute drive home... cruising home it was surprisingly quiet, but yet when you get on the throttle it's a whole other story! Hoping to get some in cabin video today... might even hit the track..

Night and day! I like it much better... LMS tune is just around the corner... We should start a side bet on the month you will pull the trigger. My bet is next May. Easier to behave well during winter but when next travk season will start and that you will want to see the Focus braking into the 13's, you will just do it... Lol

If it may help, you have our blessing from all of us... That gotta add weight in favor of tune John...

Night and day! I like it much better... LMS tune is just around the corner... We should start a side bet on the month you will pull the trigger. My bet is next May. Easier to behave well during winter but when next travk season will start and that you will want to see the Focus braking into the 13's, you will just do it... Lol

If it may help, you have our blessing from all of us... That gotta add weight in favor of tune John...

Hmmmmm.... a tune you say... hmmm....

Isn't this supposed to be your daughter's car?:confused:

Well, the daughters are 6 and 8 years old... i moved from the Mini to the 4 door Focus to give them more room in the back... ummm... oh, it just happened to be an EcoBoost! LOL

It's all in the name of safety. Like on a bike.... A loud exhaust is a safe exhaust.

I like the way you think! ;)

Ahh' date=' it all makes sense now, and what a great way to get another fun car! Kinda like when I got the SHO...told the wife I wanted a new Taurus...just left out the twin turbo, 365 hp stuff. Now back to topic, the exhaust looks and sounds great![/quote']

I got a Flex because I have two young girls too... But I personnaly chose not to go the Ecoboost route for that one, because of $... I know I couldn't have resisted the temptation of a tune... then springs, intake... meth... the heck, I would have wanted to compete with Scrming and 4DR... to be the fastest... Or even more, be the fastest SHO AND Flex at the same time... And that would have been another 10-15K$ right off the bat, plus more maintenance, etc.

So good luck again John to be able to resist the devil's temptation... I know I couldn't have done it... But you really have a shot at being the fastest Flex AND Focus at the same time... What do you say young man? lol

Will MRT build in a cutout for the exhaust? Does sound very quiet for a performance aftermarket exhaust!

In person, i think it's at about the right sound level... I'm just surprised how smooth the 4 cylinder sounds!!

Ahh' date=' it all makes sense now, and what a great way to get another fun car! Kinda like when I got the SHO...told the wife I wanted a new Taurus...just left out the twin turbo, 365 hp stuff. Now back to topic, the exhaust looks and sounds great![/quote']

Thanks! Only problem... i've noticed that the new performance sound is making me drive a tad more aggressively... :crazy:

I got a Flex because I have two young girls too... But I personnaly chose not to go the Ecoboost route for that one, because of $... I know I couldn't have resisted the temptation of a tune... then springs, intake... meth... the heck, I would have wanted to compete with Scrming and 4DR... to be the fastest... Or even more, be the fastest SHO AND Flex at the same time... And that would have been another 10-15K$ right off the bat, plus more maintenance, etc.

So good luck again John to be able to resist the devil's temptation... I know I couldn't have done it... But you really have a shot at being the fastest Flex AND Focus at the same time... What do you say young man? lol

I really had no intentions of modding... honest... LOL! No way I'm going to worry to much about making the ST fast... Going to be a LOT more folks modding their STs than Flexes! LOL! Best I've seen is a guy with a turbo back exhaust, motor mount and a tune who has run 13.7 @ 103 MPH. Also, i pretty much suck at a manual at the track! I thought about maybe trying autocross next spring... I just don't think i'll be able to... I have to really slouch down and turn my head to try and drive the ST with a helmet on... I can barely drive straight! Let alone make a bunch of turns! LOL

• 2 weeks later...
How does it do on fuel with you driving and how should it do under "normal" driving conditions? I like these a lot. As I type I am trying to figure out how I can sell my beater and get a newer Ecoboost DD by 2014 :)

It's hard to drive this thing in a gas conserving manner! LOL!

That being said... about 27 MPG cruising 75 MPH. Cruise at 65 MPH it's 30 MPG... Cruise at 55 MPH you can eek out 34 to 36 MPG... Around town it's more like 22 to 24 MPG...

• 3 weeks later...

MRT UPDATE..... Got the call from MRT. They are ready to go to production and wanted to do a fitment test of the final setup. Based on some feedback, they did make a slight change and separated the tips.... One thing though.. The sound seems to have changed quite a bit from the prototype! Not sure what is the root cause of the change, but I like it... The sound is deeper and has more volume! On the revs I hear what I believe is the turbo... That being said I grabbed some NEW video clips... I find that listen with a set of over the hear headphones give a pretty good representation of the sound... Oh, and the sound in the cabin is unchanged, maybe even improved a bit from the prototype.

ALSO, I did put the STOCK AIR FILTER back in for this video!

Here's the new clip of the MRT Eco-Flow Axle Back Exhaust:

[video=youtube;1KAmnN1w-GM]

MRT should start building these exhausts by the end of the week...

Yea, I'd definitely agree!

1K% improvement. Almost sounds like it should've been produced from the factory.

You can definitely hear the turbo's in that clip where the car was stationary & you revved the engine.

Kudos for posting, as well as to all the staff over @ MRT for it's production.

Nicely done :hail:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Nice' date=' really like the sound of that. Doesn't sound like a fartcan. Are they letting you keep the prototype?[/quote']

Thanks! Love the new sound! And yes, I get to keep the exhaust! WOOHOO! LOL

Yea, I'd definitely agree!

1K% improvement. Almost sounds like it should've been produced from the factory.

You can definitely hear the turbo's in that clip where the car was stationary & you revved the engine.

Kudos for posting, as well as to all the staff over @ MRT for it's production.

Nicely done :hail:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks! What's amazing is even though that extra long tube at the end is dorky looking, it does an amazing job killing drone! It's simply incredible how well it works! Science... who knew! LOL