Ecoboost Owner Forums

Need help troubleshooting

I have a 2010 sho non PP, just turned over 25,000 miles. Still has the factory michelin primacy mxv4 20's on it.

I just started to hear and feel a vibration that only noticeable on the highway.

Sounds like a constant "drone" but can be felt slightly through the steering wheel and the flloor. Starts at 50 mph and seems to taper off around 80 mph. You cannot hear or feel it durning city driving.

It is not rpm related, it seems to be only speed related. I purchased this car about a month ago and the car fax report said the front wheel hub assemblies were replace at 23,000 miles.

Anyone experience this before. I've replaced many front hub assemblies, and all those we're pretty obvious. Possibly a wheel balance issue? Or a bad tire?

I do have an extended warrenty, and the remainder of the factory power train warrenty. I just want an idea what I might be getting into. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

Since you have the extended warranty I would take it back to the dealer and let them figure it out, if possible I would go to the dealer that replaced the hubs since it's only been 2K miles since that was done. Also I wouldn't try to figure out the problem, just explain it to the dealer and let them figure what's causing it.

Thx for the suggestions, I think I'm going to get wheels balanced first. Anyone ever have their wheels balanced with a road force wheel balancer?

It puts a load on the tire to check for flat spots / uneven tread

Yes, a Hunter road force balancer is a great machine. I had a vibration problem that began at around 20,000 miles. The dealer did a routine balance and it did not help. They finally sent me to a shop with a Hunter road force balancer and we found the problem - a tire that had a defect. Since the car is AWD, and I refused to have 1 new tire with 3 used ones, the dealer got authorization from Goodyear to replace all 4under warranty. My cost was only around $80.

Let us know what the dealer says. There have been wheel bearing failures with these cars. Also, do not rule out a tire defect - and a road force balance is a great diagnostic tool.

Yes, a Hunter road force balancer is a great machine. I had a vibration problem that began at around 20,000 miles. The dealer did a routine balance and it did not help. They finally sent me to a shop with a Hunter road force balancer and we found the problem - a tire that had a defect. Since the car is AWD, and I refused to have 1 new tire with 3 used ones, the dealer got authorization from Goodyear to replace all 4under warranty. My cost was only around $80.

Let us know what the dealer says. There have been wheel bearing failures with these cars. Also, do not rule out a tire defect - and a road force balance is a great diagnostic tool.

Agreed, Road Force balancing is a great tool.

Other things to look for:

Run you hands over the tire treads. Can you feel any cupping? Feathering of the tread?

Possibility of bad alignment...

maybe the didn't seat the hubs perfectly flush when they reassembled them.

Just a couple thoughts, HTH

Car went to the dealer today. They found the rear drivers side wheel is bent out of spec.

They want $436 for a used wheel and $786 for a new one. (20" hypersilver)

I checked my local wheel shops. They have a used one, good condition,

(grade B) for $194.00. Anyone have an idea if that's a good price.

Well I replaced the bent wheel, and the dealer road forced all 4 wheels again to the tune of

$360........

And the pulsing noise / vibration is STILL there!!!!!

I'm not very happy right now..... I wouldn't mine spending the money if it was fixed.

But to waste $360 with no results...... Guess that's what happens when you buy a used ford from a Honda dealership.

They said they're going to send it to ford for further troubleshooting

I'm not spend another dime unless this thing gets repaired properly.

Well I replaced the bent wheel, and the dealer road forced all 4 wheels again to the tune of

$360........

And the pulsing noise / vibration is STILL there!!!!!

I'm not very happy right now..... I wouldn't mine spending the money if it was fixed.

But to waste $360 with no results...... Guess that's what happens when you buy a used ford from a Honda dealership.

They said they're going to send it to ford for further troubleshooting

I'm not spend another dime unless this thing gets repaired properly.

I havent read the whole thread but have you checked the wheel bearings? I believe mine was replaced and im not sure but i think i might have the same issue.(ive replaced all 4 rotors/brakes/tires) Now after replacing the rotors and brakes the wobble from braking went away only thing now is that i feel it still alittle shaky around 60-75mph at times. Hopefully it gets fixed for you man.

Some folks have had trouble with the factory OEM Michelins' date=' so I would still say to check the tires themselves. There could be cracks or bubbles that are invisible to the quick onceover.[/quote']

When they road force balanced the tires they thoroughly checked for tire issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update....

Since the honda dealer that I bought my sho from could not figure out where the pulsing vibration was coming from, they took it to a local ford dealer.

Of coarse they said it was probably the tire/wheel balance, so they road force tested it......again....problem still there.

They then switched out the wheels and tires from a different sho on their lot.....problem still there.

He calls me around 530 and tells me they're ordering a new driveshaft. They "think" that's the problem. U-joints are not serviceable. They are sealed units, as is the center bearing.

Parts should be there in the morning. Hopefully we'll have a resolution soon. Haven't had the sho since Tuesday afternoon, I'm going through withdrawals.......

I completely understand about having gone through the entire withdrawals part...... certainly sucks.

But it sounds like they're well on the path to resolution and I truly do hope that it all works out for the best.

Kudos for your enduring patience, and be sure to romp on her well, after she's been returned, to replace that "perma-grin" you've lost in the interim.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Something ridiculous like $130 or so.....

Which is crazy stupid cuz it takes about a 1/2hr to do, and even the RP bottle of fluid I bought was only like $16 bucks.

So I can't imagine the MC stuff would be priced higher than that.... but then again, it just may be.

:doh:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2