Ecoboost Owner Forums

365HP where?

So, the SHO claims 365HP and I assuming that is at the crank? Does anyone know what it is at the wheels? I'm trying to justify a possible $6000 bill with Livernois to get 380-400hp at the wheels. I can't calculate it without knowing what the SHO actually puts down on the ground.

Most of us have performed various "stages" if you will of improvements.

As such, I would suggest tackling each performance upgrade in order of your own "priorities" and proceed from there.

If I recall correctly, most of us were in the 277-281awhp range(s) in stock form.

So you're looking at roughly an 80-100whp increase (using your 380-400whp estimate that is).

A rare few, like Darreli or FIRSTSHO are I think around 438-440awhp.

Hope that's of some help to you :noidea:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks BPD, exactly what I was looking for.

I was shooting for 400awhp; been talking to Andy at Livernois and he told me this is going to require CAI, Exhaust, Downpipes, Tune, Meth, and Billet Turbos. It's about a 4-5 week install as they ship the turbo's off and it will be probably around $8500-$9000. I asked him what could I hit if I was to not do the turbo because that kind of work would require me getting a rental car; he said somewhere in ball park of 380awhp. I think the cost would be around $6000.

These costs are speculative; I based it off the packages on their website--I haven't gotten official quotes because we've been back and forth on it.

Now that I see the actual "at the wheel hp" is ~280; $6k to get 100 awhp extra seems pretty good. I like this car, I plan to keep it for quite some time, and I really want to break some kids hearts when they come up next to a grandpa sedan. :)

Now, if I blew the engine--that would suck!

If you want to go low 12's with a 0-60 mph well under 4 seconds and keep reliability, you don't need to do the turbos to start. I think CAI, Exhaust with downpipes, tune and Meth is all you need. CAI is roughly 300$, Exhaust between 1000-1500$, downpipes another 1000$, install of all exhaust and downpipes about 200$, the meth kit is roughly 900$ and the install takes between 12-20 hours. At 75$ per hour for install, you are looking at roughly 1000$. Finally, you will need the mycal unit (tuner) for 600$. So the total is 5000$.

Your gains will be:

0-60 from 5.2 seconds to 3.8 seconds

0-100 from 13.2 seconds to 9.2 seconds

1/4 mile from 13.5 seconds to 12.1 seconds (possibly under 12's in a few weeks)

1/4 mile trap from 103mph to 113 mph

HP increase 365 hp to 515 hp

I think that is a good start. If you haven't had enough with this setup, maybe after a year you can do the turbo upgrade for another 5000$, but then you will most likely experience traction issues and will have to buy new DR for the track and do some adjustment like Mike did on his car for traction (straps to keep front of the car lower).

I personally opted not to go that route, but I am happy that others are doing it!

Good luck!

If you want to go low 12's with a 0-60 mph well under 4 seconds and keep reliability' date=' you don't need to do the turbos to start. I think CAI, Exhaust with downpipes, tune and Meth is all you need. CAI is roughly 300$, Exhaust between 1000-1500$, downpipes another 1000$, install of all exhaust and downpipes about 200$, the meth kit is roughly 900$ and the install takes between 12-20 hours. At 75$ per hour for install, you are looking at roughly 1000$. Finally, you will need the mycal unit (tuner) for 600$. So the total is 5000$. Your gains will be: 0-60 from 5.2 seconds to 3.8 seconds 0-100 from 13.2 seconds to 9.2 seconds 1/4 mile from 13.5 seconds to 12.1 seconds (possibly under 12's in a few weeks) 1/4 mile trap from 103mph to 113 mph HP increase 365 hp to 515 hp I think that is a good start. If you haven't had enough with this setup, maybe after a year you can do the turbo upgrade for another 5000$, but then you will most likely experience traction issues and will have to buy new DR for the track and do some adjustment like Mike did on his car for traction (straps to keep front of the car lower). I personally opted not to go that route, but I am happy that others are doing it! Good luck! [/quote']

You raise some valid points -- I was considering while discussing with Alex at Livernois about not doing the turbo and waiting. If the power isn't enough and I want more, then I could look at adding the turbos.

The other question I come to is when; some folks say wait until 12-15k so that any defects are known/replaced before you completely destroy your warranty. If I recall, this is the same engine from 2010-2012 right?

Same engine yes... I would wait a little bit also for the same reasons you mentioned but no more than that... You see, I waited 6K miles to get the CAI, tune, exhaust and downpipes. And at 9K I had the methanol installed and drove 10 hours to go have it dynotuned at Livernois... I had a 2010 before and drove it like it was stolen for 40K miles (bought it used with 22K miles) and returned the car after 2 years with 62K miles on it. It ran like a charm, better than when I first purchased it... When I mean I drove it hard, that includes daily WOTs and at least 400 runs at the track!!! Oh yeah baby!

Same engine yes... I would wait a little bit also for the same reasons you mentioned but no more than that... You see' date=' I waited 6K miles to get the CAI, tune, exhaust and downpipes. And at 9K I had the methanol installed and drove 10 hours to go have it dynotuned at Livernois... I had a 2010 before and drove it like it was stolen for 40K miles (bought it used with 22K miles) and returned the car after 2 years with 62K miles on it. It ran like a charm, better than when I first purchased it... When I mean I drove it hard, that includes daily WOTs and at least 400 runs at the track!!! Oh yeah baby![/quote']

What are you using for the meth? I've heard people use windshield washer fluid? LOL. I'm honestly thinking about waiting until 12-15k and then doing it. I'm going to do everything but the turbo. I believe 380awhp is plenty for the street.

I'm only 8 hours from Livernois and I plan to have them do all the work.

Definitely don't need $6000 to get to 400WHP' date=' that much would get you to 500WHP, looking forward to seeing that happen on a guy's build in the next 2 weeks or so.[/quote']

I'm only quoting what Livernois is giving me in email -- $6k will get 380awhp and $8k will get 400awhp according to their packages online.

I am using VP methanol M1... It is 100% methanol, which is what is required with the alky control offered by Livernois. Livernois charge more for the install, but you get the peace of mind that they are doing all the work and then the tuning, so it is optimal. For me it was out of the question to leave them my car for a few weeks because being 10 hours away implied that I would have had to have my car shipped (about 1,000$), not have my car for almost a month (rental = extra 500$). So I preferred to have everything installed here and then drive there to have it dynotuned and take advantage to see people and race at Milan...

I am using VP methanol M1... It is 100% methanol' date=' which is what is required with the alky control offered by Livernois. Livernois charge more for the install, but you get the peace of mind that they are doing all the work and then the tuning, so it is optimal. For me it was out of the question to leave them my car for a few weeks because being 10 hours away implied that I would have had to have my car shipped (about 1,000$), not have my car for almost a month (rental = extra 500$). So I preferred to have everything installed here and then drive there to have it dynotuned and take advantage to see people and race at Milan...[/quote']

I was told 1.5 weeks for installation without turbos. I can manage that with a rental car.

What's your meth life like? I'm doing some reading and it looks like I will need to find a local source for meth--it can run about $50 for 5 gallons.

I was saying a month just to say a month, because I know that they sometimes have the cars longer than expected when working on a new platform or new mods, which is the case for the 2013. Having said that, the main reason was for $ and I knew I was going to see them after to have final adjustments.

As for the meth, you are correct, it runs for about 50$. Depending on your driving habits, but to give you an idea, I can run about 15 runs at the track for 12-15 seconds each under WOT and that corresponds to one gallon of methanol. So about 15-20 minutes of WOT for 50$. That is about 200-250 0-60mph or 200 passes on the highway! That is a quarter per smile on your face! lol

It only sprays meth when you are boosting more than 6-7 psi. If you reach that level it will start priming and if you hold it over that level for more than half a second to one second, than it will be spraying to full capacity.

So, if you go on a cruise and never use the turbos more than 6-7 psi, you are actually not using meth at all.

I am using an average of 1 gallon per week ; )

You use 1 gallon a week because you drive like a bat out of hell right? LOL.

I drive sensible but there are days when I just want to stick my middle finger out at the little pissant children in their rice burners and have them cry because their 20k car just got slammed by a Taurus SHO. Haha.

I wonder though; at 380awhp what would MPG be like for casual driving? I know if you have a heavy foot it's going to be horrible--but do we go from 18mpg to 12mpg? Anyone here have close to 380awhp and can comment?
With LMS 4+ and 12.6sec 1/4mi on track night runs I'm do 16-17mpg. LOL not bad I had a 1972 318 hemi Challenger that got 12mpg with my foot out of it and foot in it the gas hand went left as fast as speed hand went right(like 2-3mpg).OW