Ecoboost Owner Forums

What is this tube (2010 SHO)? My 2010 MKS doesn't have it?????

Ok, so I helped one of my business partners locate and buy a 2010 SHO PP last week. Great car, candy apple red, nav, 29K miles, inservice date of 2011. Enough of that...

Anyway, I raised our hoods side by side and found that he had an extra black tube on the passenger side, breaking off from the throttle body area. At the very end, it is open. I tried to use photobucket edit to circle the part, but failed. It is the curved black tube with the white sticker on it. It is open on the left side (end) of the tube. I took the photo standing at the front passenger wheel. It does not appear aftermarket and it doesn't look like mine ever had it, as it seems to be molded into the larger tube leading to the throttle body. In other words, I could not remove his and add it to mine. Any clue experts????? :)

shopart_zpsa3d3b640.jpg[/url=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/mclspllc/media/shopart_zpsa3d3b640.jpg.html] .

EDIT: here is a close up of the part number and some arrows on the part:

sho2_zpsa1e2f6f7.jpg

That part is essentially what Ford refers to as their "noise maker".

It does absolutely nothing, other than to direct "noise fluff" towards the passenger cabin compartment area.

Stupid? Absolutely.

I would bargain to say that the Mercury doesn't have it because it's a "higher line" of product, and therefore, most typical Lincoln owners will prefer a quieter engine.

Some SHO owners have chosen to replace this with a after market BOV, which, quite honestly, wasn't ever designed, or never intended for such a modification in that location.

Puzzles me as to why owners would choose to add a 3rd BOV in that spot :noidea:

It was my understanding (and I may be wrong) but I thought it was not a noise maker but more of a expansion box device that was intended to reduce noise from the engine when shutting the engine down or starting....that it in some way made the engine quieter.

A number of road-tests of SHOs mention the sound generator. Here is one from Autoweek:

[/url=http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090617/CARREVIEWS/906179975]

I had my MKS on order in June of 2009 and my dealer got a 2010 SHO in before my car arrived. I drove the SHO and I recall looking at this device and wondering if my MKS would have it. Obviously, it did not. I also recall the first time I drove my MKS, I was surprised how quiet it was under WOT compared to the SHO I had driven earlier. I am sure that Ford Motor Company assumed that the typical Lincoln buyer would not want the unruly sounds that you SHO hooligans desire. (I would put a smiley-face here if I could figure out how to do it.)

A number of road-tests of SHOs mention the sound generator. Here is one from Autoweek:

[/url=http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090617/CARREVIEWS/906179975]

I had my MKS on order in June of 2009 and my dealer got a 2010 SHO in before my car arrived. I drove the SHO and I recall looking at this device and wondering if my MKS would have it. Obviously, it did not. I also recall the first time I drove my MKS, I was surprised how quiet it was under WOT compared to the SHO I had driven earlier. I am sure that Ford Motor Company assumed that the typical Lincoln buyer would not want the unruly sounds that you SHO hooligans desire. (I would put a smiley-face here if I could figure out how to do it.)

Not only are smilies gone, but at least to me your link is not clickable either.

Here's the quote from autoweek

"For a performance car, the SHO is relatively quiet, despite the addition of a sound generator on the engine's intake. The trumpetlike device directs sound coming from the intake toward the dash panel, and the result is pleasant, if subdued. The exhaust note also is subdued, in part because the overall car is quiter."

It does have some function to it. Recently I took my 2010 to the track and I made a few normal runs then made the runs without it. The car without would not make (sustain) any boost and it ran a 2.5 second slower quarter mile run. I then put it back in and I was right back to running a 13.1.

It does have some function to it. Recently I took my 2010 to the track and I made a few normal runs then made the runs without it. The car without would not make (sustain) any boost and it ran a 2.5 second slower quarter mile run. I then put it back in and I was right back to running a 13.1.

You did seal the hole air tight after removing right? If not, you had a major boost leak, and would explain everything you just posted. You cant just take it off, you also have to seal the hole air tight.

You did seal the hole air tight after removing right? If not, you had a major boost leak, and would explain everything you just posted. You cant just take it off, you also have to seal the hole air tight.

Ha! My thoughts EXACTLY! :doh:

was thinking the same thing

That makes 4 of us thinking alike.