Ecoboost Owner Forums

Thoughts on the latest 4+ update

I have been privileged to sample the latest iteration of the tried and true LMS Stage 4+ and I can say it's great. Yesterday I installed an experimental update Anthony at LMS sent me. It's based on the 4+ tune I've been running since it came out. I'm really happy to say it's a very positive update. So far I have no hard numbers but based on the good old "butt dyno" it's noticeably stronger. I have felt no loss of the good manners the car has always had. Throttle response, low end torque, and strong pull throughout the RPM range all feel noticeably improved. I'm impressed with this tune so if you are running 4+, email Anthony and get your update ASAP. You won't be sorry! I am running the 3BAR MAP and I don't know how much that has to do with what I'm feeling, but 2 BAR or 3BAR, give this bad boy a try.

Since I don't have the MyCal' date=' this update doesn't apply to me but I am still interested. Larry, I have all the confidence in the world in your butt dyno. However, do you have any plans to take a little trip to Mexico and gather some hard numbers? :)[/quote'] First chance I get Bruce lol. I don't know if it's my getting older or if I'm just aware of a different mentality on the road these last few years but society is not as tolerant of our antics as it used to and I can't say they are wrong. With cell phones and camcorders in every persons hands now I'm really much more cautious than I used to be. Must bide my time.....Soon though!

I totally understand, Larry! Please do not put yourself or anyone else at risk. Here in the Minneapolis area, it is getting very difficult to find an area to "test" a car. If there isn't traffic or residential congestion, there are deer and other critters. I feel pretty comfortable doing 0-60 runs but I was very apprehensive when I did the quarter mile test - even at 4 AM on Easter Sunday.

I find it pretty easy to do rolling start WOT's of differing lengths but feel pretty self conscious when coming to a stop and torque braking for a timed run. I'm tempted to visit a track not to far away. Haven't been there in a very long time.....how long you ask? Don't even go there. The car I ran there was a 64 Impala SS 250 hp convertible w/4speed, stealthily modded of course. I had a lot of fun with that car. Track is still there and it would be a good way to quantify what I now have and how it measures up to everybody else. Summer is here and the time is right. Need to get a helmet I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Using an Aeroforce gauge, I measured my 0-60 with the new 4X/3 bar tune. Ignore the 1/4 mile result since I was on a road where I was not comfortable getting into triple digit speeds. Actually, I think I backed off a teeny bit before the 1/8. With the original 4+ tune on the same road, I recorded 4.2 for 0-60. The road is new pavement that provides awesome traction off the line.

e2bbe3b9-7f0b-4c01-8a82-e07addbbb3ce_zps48363f61.jpg

Just based on the fuel economy reading in the message center, it appears that the new tune is at least as good and maybe even better than the 4+ in terms of fuel economy. I reset the calculator shortly after installing the 4X/3bar and, in spite of some spirited driving, the first 150 miles is showing a bit better mileage than my previous average. This is not conclusive but it is encouraging.

The only thing I have noticed that might be considered a negative is perhaps a little bit softer acceleration from an idle. This might be my imagination. By the time you reach 1500 RPM, it feels like it would twist the earth off its axis but that intial punch off the line without brake-torquing doesn't seem quite as crisp as before. Other than that, throttle response is very sharp.

Remember that trick about resetting the drive-by-wire throttle mapping where you have the ignition on and slowly press and release the accelerator? I wonder if that is for real? I am not exactly sure of the procedure because when I first heard of it, I thought it was crazy. Can anyone vouch for its benefit?

I'm really loving the tune as well! Definitely a huge improvement (and I was happy before!). I do have what sounds like a bit of a whistle/loud blow off valve sound that seems to have coincided with the tune install. It only happens if I just start to generate a couple of pounds of boost in 2nd or 3rd and then let off the throttle 'sharply'...I get what sounds exactly like the BOV venting to atmosphere with a bit of a whistle...except I don't have my BOV's vented to atmosphere. :) I can totally live with it and I'm guessing it probably isn't related to the tune itself but something else going on that that tune may be bringing to the surface? That said I thought I would ask if anyone else has experienced this? You have to have your radio off and AC Fan down to even hear it and letting off the throttle gradually will not produce it...

I may have a BOV issue?

I'm really loving the tune as well! Definitely a huge improvement (and I was happy before!). I do have what sounds like a bit of a whistle/loud blow off valve sound that seems to have coincided with the tune install. It only happens if I just start to generate a couple of pounds of boost in 2nd or 3rd and then let off the throttle 'sharply'...I get what sounds exactly like the BOV venting to atmosphere with a bit of a whistle...except I don't have my BOV's vented to atmosphere. :) I can totally live with it and I'm guessing it probably isn't related to the tune itself but something else going on that that tune may be bringing to the surface? That said I thought I would ask if anyone else has experienced this? You have to have your radio off and AC Fan down to even hear it and letting off the throttle gradually will not produce it...

I may have a BOV issue?

I have exactly the same sound and you described how/when it occurs perfectly. At least one other person has mentioned it, too. I don't think it is harmful since it does not seem to be related to high boost pressure. It occurs at very low boost and then closing the throttle. I thought it was BOV noise but I am not VTA, either. Maybe someone who has a relationship with Dan Millen could ask him what it is.