Ecoboost Owner Forums

2010 - 2012 vs. 2013 - 2015

As most folks on this forum know, I have a 2010 MKS with a Livernois tune. Recently, we bought my wife a 2014 Taurus SEL. I am not comparing the performance of the two for obvious reasons but there are other differences that are noteworthy - some factual and others just my opinion.

The brakes on the 2014 Taurus are remarkably improved over the earlier models. The pedal is firmer and requires less effort - much more confidence inspiring. They have improved the overall quietness of the later models, too. The fender well inserts contain sound absorbing material. I had already modified my MKS by adding insulation around the inside of the fender well inserts but I think the Taurus might even be a bit quieter than my MKS. The plastic at the bottom of the doors is improved on the new models, too. There is less likelihood of dust and grime entering the door jams.

The MyFord touch system on the 2014 works exactly as designed. The touchscreen responds instantly and the voice commands work flawlessly. However, I can say the same for my 2010. In terms of user-friendliness and just pure logic, I think the sync/nav system on the earlier models is much better than MyFord touch in the new ones. I particularly do not like the "home" screen on the new ones. The artist/song title is not displayed and neither is the map or HVAC position. All of that is on the home screen of the earlier models. Granted, the song information shows on the instrument panel but sometimes passengers like to see that and they cannot when it is just on the IP. I prefer hard buttons for the heated seats, too, and that is lacking on the newer models. Over all, I just think the earlier models are more intuitive than having the menus, sub-menus, 3 different areas of information and tons of redundant information on the newer ones. There is NOTHING MyFord touch can do that the earlier sync/nav cannot do just as well or better.

Anyone else have observations on this topic?

My 2013 is stock and the brakes work very well on it indeed. The touch screen is a little um... "touchy" if you will. Meaning it is slow to respond to touch sometimes. As far as info displayed I have had no problems here. Everything seems to be working in that department. Just had the car in for an oil change and the dealer found a leaky right rear shock, which they will replace under warranty. I still need to get windows tinted. I'm looking at cat-back exhaust systems as I would like a little more noise when I punch it. Just don't know which system to go with.

The one odd issue I am having is more of an annoyance. The interior ambient lighting system seems to forget my personal setting about every 3 weeks. It will revert back to factory settings for color and brightness. I asked the dealer about this and the service manager just laughed. He told me he has reported this problem on other vehicles. Ford told him the system is working correctly and as such they have plans to fix anything. The service manager told me it is a program issue in the body CAN computer. And at this time nothing can be done. Which I think is BS.

Bruce

My 2013 is stock and the brakes work very well on it indeed. The touch screen is a little um... "touchy" if you will. Meaning it is slow to respond to touch sometimes. As far as info displayed I have had no problems here. Everything seems to be working in that department. Just had the car in for an oil change and the dealer found a leaky right rear shock' date=' which they will replace under warranty. I still need to get windows tinted. I'm looking at cat-back exhaust systems as I would like a little more noise when I punch it. Just don't know which system to go with. The one odd issue I am having is more of an annoyance. The interior ambient lighting system seems to forget my personal setting about every 3 weeks. It will revert back to factory settings for color and brightness. I asked the dealer about this and the service manager just laughed. He told me he has reported this problem on other vehicles. Ford told him the system is working correctly and as such they have plans to fix anything. The service manager told me it is a program issue in the body CAN computer. And at this time nothing can be done. Which I think is BS. Bruce[/quote'] Your service writer obviously doesn't keep up on service bulletins. An ambient light fix came out a while ago. Jason http://www.fordpimods.com

I want to correct something that I wrote in my opening post. I said that the artist/song title did not display on the home screen. The reason it didn't was because I had a sync update that had not been installed. I downloaded the update from the Ford owner site and now the home screen displays the information.

I am slightly peeved at my dealer, though. The car was certified and the paperwork indicated that the sync/MyFord touch system had the latest updates. Clearly it did not so that makes me suspicious of other things they supposedly did prior to certification.

To me certified is all about the warranty. I've had enough experience with certified cars to know that dealers usually don't do everything they say or they are supposed to do. Unfortunately...... My certified Lincoln came with a filthy air filter and cabin air filter. Got