Ecoboost Owner Forums

2013 Tunes

ryanjay

Not sure if the 2013 SHO's have been "cracked" yet as far as tuning.

You'd be best served by shooting one (or both) of our supporting vendors to inquire where, in the pipeline, they may be at as far as the tuning goes.

I know that there are several members here who have used both Livernois Motorsports, and Unleashed Tuning and have experienced incredible results from their tunes.

Dollar for dollar, probably gotta be one of THE best mods any of us have done :thumb:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I am going to be meeting the local dealerships leed mechanic this weekend at a pig roast. He knows my parents so I plan on feeling him out over some frosty beverages about how this dealership feels about engine management changes. Depending on how the conversation goes I will be getting a tune.

Bad news for me' date=' talked with the two techs that build up cal worthington's sons cars (owner of dealership). They told me to hold off on flashing the CPU. So it looks like they are not mod friendly, oh well thems the breaks.[/quote']

Did the say why? I am talking to my dealership as well and they said they are fine with it but if they ever have to plug the computer up the information is automatically sent to Ford. If the computer has been flashed it is flagged and is sent with that information. I don't know how true that is or if an alert is flagged at that point but that's what they told me.

Did the say why? I am talking to my dealership as well and they said they are fine with it but if they ever have to plug the computer up the information is automatically sent to Ford. If the computer has been flashed it is flagged and is sent with that information. I don't know how true that is or if an alert is flagged at that point but that's what they told me.

That is exactly what he told me, said if something goes wrong and it's been flashed then Its on me. Intake and exhaust no problem, changing computer perimeters your on your own. Also they said the EBM is already maxed...... I know, I know just relaying the info I got. Says ford would send an engineer to hook up to the car upon an engine failure claim and they will see exactly what has been changed. Said they had some peeps mod their sho early on and melted down the turbos.

I have been following the SHO since I got mine and have never heard of anyone "melting" the turbos...seems like someone would have been aware of this on one of the forums, but I don't know of this ever being mentioned. Also LMS has tuned something over 200 vehicles and have not had any engine failures...so I don't believe that it is accurate that Ford has the EBM maxed. Well, maybe the one that Carl Edwards drives in the commercials but that's the only one! Don't get me wrong if you chose to leave the car stock I don't have a problem with it, it really is a personal choice and if you don't want to risk the hassle, I can't blame you.

That is exactly what he told me' date=' said if something goes wrong and it's been flashed then Its on me. Intake and exhaust no problem, changing computer perimeters your on your own. Also they said the EBM is already maxed...... I know, I know just relaying the info I got. Says ford would send an engineer to hook up to the car upon an engine failure claim and they will see exactly what has been changed. Said they had some peeps mod their sho early on and melted down the turbos.[/quote']

Wow, that is almost verbatim of what they told me, even down to the engineer part. They didn't mention the EBM being maxed out to me though, in fact we spoke about how much more can be got out of them, but it sounds like Ford will, or at least is threatening to, look very closely at any engine failures on these.

I have been following the SHO since I got mine and have never heard of anyone "melting" the turbos...seems like someone would have been aware of this on one of the forums' date=' but I don't know of this ever being mentioned. Also LMS has tuned something over 200 vehicles and have not had any engine failures...so I don't believe that it is accurate that Ford has the EBM maxed. Well, maybe the one that Carl Edwards drives in the commercials but that's the only one! Don't get me wrong if you chose to leave the car stock I don't have a problem with it, it really is a personal choice and if you don't want to risk the hassle, I can't blame you.[/quote']

I'm with you on this and I'm probably going to wait, as much as it kills me. I don't believe it's maxed either as livernois will attest. I am 100% that livernois is solid I just can't afford to take the chance at least in the first year.

I don't believe the circumstances have changed for anyone really. And the same goes for anyone that mods there car it puts your warranty at risk. But all I can say is LMS tune is very conservative with over 200 tuned SHO's last time reported and over 2000 EB 150's. I know I am comfortable with them. But understandable I have had the same stance as well. Nobody wants to damage there cars.

I agree with Crash on this one. When I first had my car tuned (2010) there were probably only a handful of tuned EB vehicles out there. The EBM are obviously not "maxed out" by Ford as my over 100hp/tq over factory shows. Is there a potential for some type of failure?? Of coarse there is...always will be. I dont blame anyone for not tuning there vehicle while under warranty...believe me...but the chance of an LMS tune being the cause of a failure is pretty much zero. Someone definately melted turbo and blew a engine early on but I've only heard of a couple blown motors and that was during the research and development of aftermarket tuning. The bugs are worked out at this point. As far as the car being flashed and causing a failure and that being "on you" has always been the case...this isnt something new with the EB motors, the factory has always said that.

i agree with crash on this one. When i first had my car tuned (2010) there were probably only a handful of tuned eb vehicles out there. The ebm are obviously not "maxed out" by ford as my over 100hp/tq over factory shows. Is there a potential for some type of failure?? Of coarse there is...always will be. I dont blame anyone for not tuning there vehicle while under warranty...believe me...but the chance of an lms tune being the cause of a failure is pretty much zero. Someone definately melted turbo and blew a engine early on but i've only heard of a couple blown motors and that was during the research and development of aftermarket tuning. The bugs are worked out at this point. As far as the car being flashed and causing a failure and that being "on you" has always been the case...this isnt something new with the eb motors' date=' the factory has always said that.[/quote']

this!

Here is my point of view on tuning a car while under guarantee or not :

If someone prefers to wait until guarantee is over, no problem, I understand, but personally I don't see why... If someone waits after guarantee is over and the tune actually breaks the engine, you will end up having to pay for the damages anyways... At least, at the beginning of the life of the motor, it is unlikely to break and if ever it does, there is at least a chance that it could be covered under warranty. Like that, you can enjoy the real power from the beginning instead of having to wait 3 years. I would wait let's say 6 months, just to make sure the car is not having initial problems, but then... especially with Livernois and their track record, it is a no brainer.

In other words : A broken tranny would cost 4K$ to repair regardless on the mileage of your car. If your car is still under warranty, there is a very good chance that you can have it fixed under warranty... after all, it is a Taurus, not a Mustang, so they won't investigate that much, they would most likely just rebuild it. If you wait after warranty expires, then it will cost you 4K$ for sure... So in that sence, I believe it is better to have it tuned while covered!

Because aftermarket tuning has become commonplace, Ford, as well as all the other manufacturers are much more thorough in checking if owner negligence is the possible cause of any major failure. Note the issue on Mustangs with the new "Coyote" engine. Ford is not paying for holed pistons due to lean conditions in # 8 cylinder. How do they determine if a vehicle has been tuned? They look at the ECM to see if it has been flashed by Ford and how many total flash marks are showing up. Then they count how many "start cycles" car has logged since the last flash mark. If there are frequent flash marks, and the last one is recent, (say under 200 start cycles, with a total of 10,000 mi on ODO, they are going to question why the flash marks showed up, if they weren't done at a Ford dealership and data logged against your SN#. Realistically, how many times can you unhook the battery? While they may ultimately have to prove that you caused the problem, if Ford refuses to pay, the car will sit until you have won the lawsuit or negotiation. Or... you can have the car fixed and pay for the repair. The dealer may support you, which will help in many situations, but if Ford refuses to pay them, due to Ford's claim of owner negligence, they are very unlikely to do it for free. Look at how much more thorough Ford is being on minor issues like trim or paint problems. They want photos of everything.

But.. unless you go outside the box.... or are unlucky enough to have a defective part, Livernois & Torrie tunes are not by themselves going to cause a major failure.

I would wait let's say 6 months' date=' just to make sure the car is not having initial problems, but then... especially with Livernois and their track record, it is a no brainer.[/quote']

That is my plan and to wait for more tunes to come out for the 2013 from Livernois. The main reason I've been talking to the dealership is to be upfront about it, as even Rick has advised, to start a relationship with them and hopefully they will be more willing to work with me in case something does happen.

This is a common question on every single forum I have been on over the last 10 years.

If you put a tune on the car and you run into an issue, let's say a check engine light, you reflash back to stock and see if it comes back. If it does, go to Ford, if it doesn't, go to your tuner. If you have a tune and blow your transmission apart, flash back to stock and go, "I don't know what happened?!?!?!?!" and look stupid. Chances are, they won't be able to tell you flashed and certainly wouldn't be able to say that your transmission failed because of the flash. They have to be able to prove to a certain degree that the mod you did caused the failure. Since it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT for them to do this, they usually will only try until you object, and then they go back and fix it under warranty.

Some dealers are dumb and don't understand... like I was once told by a Lincoln dealer they could not repair my rear window actuators because of an intake mod (there was a TSB for the actuators), and I called them on it, and they gave in and did the work.

Just to add to my previous post, dealers will always prefer to make you pay for work than get paid by Ford, because the rates are so much better when the customer pays for the work. Keep that in mind when you have issues and are still under warranty.

they are very unlikely to do it for free. Look at how much more thorough Ford is being on minor issues like trim or paint problems. They want photos of everything.

But.. unless you go outside the box.... or are unlucky enough to have a defective part, Livernois & Torrie tunes are not by themselves going to cause a major failure.

Bob you are very accurate about Ford being much more thorough on minor issues. When my car was in on Tuesday the service manager told me that they had to verify and submit verification about the inflation of the seats being faulty before they could get the replacement parts from Ford, and also I discussed the pitting of the Ford emblem on the grill and the service manager told me that he had to take photos and submit paperwork and that Ford makes the call as to replacement or not replacing, the dealer can't make the call as of the beginning of the year. I really believe this is the truth since the service manager has always been straight with me and I have never had him tell me anything that wasn't correct with any of our vehicles.

Archived