Ecoboost Owner Forums

3/4 Throttle vs WOT

No, not me... The fact that is has a lot of torque makes it look easy to accelerate even when not WOT, but I know for a fact (after a good 200 runs at the track) that WOT is always faster. The best way to validate it is either at the track or I have Dynolicious on my iphone and it gives a very good idea of acceleration times without having to go to the drags. It cost me 12$ about a year ago. If you use this app, make sure the phone is calibrated and that it is well installed in your car. I installed it on a stick to hold cellular phones in car, the one that fits in the cup holder. I have run dynolicious a few times at the drags and it was close to real times within 0.2 seconds and within 3mph... So, it would be a good tool to validate your hypothesis.

Let us know if you go down that road...

Sometimes it feels like the car is faster at 3/4 throttle vs WOT to me. I don't have any numbers to back this up just what it feels like in the seat of my pants. Has anyone else thought this?

I know what your talking about, don't have any numbers to prove it. But the butt dyno feels a difference.

• 2 weeks later...
I can say that I rarely have to go WOT and even after 1.5 years' date=' I'm still shocked at the pull at 1/2 or 3/4 throttle.[/quote']

Mark, I have to agree with you, there is very few times that I have actually used WOT, especially on the highway, since 3/4 yields speeds way beyond any legal speed limit very quickly!

I've heard about "Torque Management" which I suspect limits torque on hard throttle to save the transaxle, but I bet there are folks on here familiar with the firmware that can speak to what all it does, and when....

-Rod

I believe that "Torque Management" actually reduces torque from the engine to the transmisson at shift points, to reduce the stress when the shift is made. That's a really simple explanation but I think it is mostly correct!

• 1 year later...
Sometimes it feels like the car is faster at 3/4 throttle vs WOT to me. I don't have any numbers to back this up just what it feels like in the seat of my pants. Has anyone else thought this?

That's because EcoBoost uses DBW in a rather unusual way, method. Throttle plate position does not necessityaty relate directly to accelerator pedal position. Throttle plate may well be WOT at the half way depression point of the gas pedal, turbo wastegates are being used to (linearly?) extend the engine throttle range. Once throttle plate is at WOT, ZERO manifold pressure, the servomotor wastegates begin closing. Now, the more, further, you depress the gas pedal the more the wastegate(s) close.

Before you question this have a look at the reports of those having installed boost gauges and discovered they might read ZERO (local atmospheric pressure) during light to moderate cruising.

Archived