Ecoboost Owner Forums

Small leak. Did ford forget to put a Transmission bolt in?

2010 taurus sho with 13000 miles with just a magnaflow cb. Never any problems except chrome flaking tail lights. Now I noticed small drops of fluid on ground the past few weeks.Today I drove up on some ramps to look under,, to see a possible bolt missing?? along with some splatter..any clues?

020-2.jpg

023-2.jpg

011-4.jpg

005-2.jpg

017-2.jpg

034-2.jpg

028-1.jpg

024-2.jpg

018-2.jpg

Are you sure it's actually trans fluid?

Looks to me (just from the pictures mind you) that it's oil.

2010's were notorious for the turbo leak issue.

The gasket on either the oil return tube, or in some cases, on the oil supply tube were faulty and would cause leaks.

There are TSB's available for both.

Good luck :thumb:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

The area the arrows point to appears to be casting marks rather than a seam in the transmission. And since the hole is threaded all the way to the surface, that's most likely an unused mounting point rather than space for a bolt that's intended to hold the case together.

I agree with the above, the "leak" appears more like oil than tranny fluid. And since the power steering is electric, it shouldn't be power steering fluid.

-Rod

I can't really tell from those photos but it might be the PTU . The power takeoff unit seal on mine was leaking gear oil. If you look up above (assuming this is close to the area I think it is) you will see a shaft coming out of the ptu. There is actually a TSB for a vent that gets stuck CLOSED. Mine was actually a leaking seal which was replaced without issue under warranty. (this was before I was tuned but I doubt they would have cared or checked anyway in this case.)

I had something very similar... look at the 2nd picture... see that bushing/mount thingy... we assumed that it was a oil filled hydraulic mount and that was what was leaking... we cleaned it up and now the area is staying drying... thinking it's done leaking all it's fluid...

Yup! Dealer Belives its the PTU . They put some dye in and said come back in two weeks so can make sure its the PTU. It only leaks like a small amount like penny size drop on ground like once a week or if I go on a 30mi trip,somtimes it wont leak on ground only to spatter on pipes ect.

Yup! Dealer Belives its the PTU . They put some dye in and said come back in two weeks so can make sure its the PTU. It only leaks like a small amount like penny size drop on ground like once a week or if I go on a 30mi trip' date='somtimes it wont leak on ground only to spatter on pipes ect.[/quote']

That's exactly what happened with mine...it doesn't show up anywhere but on the underside of the car. They should fix it quickly for you once they determine that is it.

• 3 months later...

Archived