Ecoboost Owner Forums

Installed my Airaid today

This is because the AirAid box seals at the hood, effectively keeping sound from getting to you. Other CAI designs have more noise fluff. However, NOISE FLUFF really doesn't equal performance gain.

What I hear with my Custom (RotoFab J-pipe) CAI, is the chirp of the turbos when the blow off happens. Occasionally, with no radio on etc. I can hear them spool up and down.

Well' date=' I installed my Airaid (with dry flow) today and I'm unable to hear the turbos????? Is this normal? Thanks[/quote']

Are you running a tune? Not if it make difference in what you hear. For me with windows down drive thru neighbor hood can hear very well, you need something to reflect the sound back at you like a wall or car a tunnel would be the best. But our turbos are tiny so the sound is very high pitched and can only be heard briefly as they spool up.

If you don't care about AirAid's "Sealing Properties" and just want more air, take the box out and unbolt the cone that the filter mounts to, and just attach it to your in-pipe going to the turbos. That should help you hear the turbos, and likely not hurt, and maybe even help your performance and IAT + MCT Temps. The AirAid is a gorgeous piece of engineering, but I have determined that my Custom CAI produces noticeably cooler IAT temps. Have no idea if it helps performance though.

If one want's to be stealth, the cheapest and a good alternative is to purchase a K & N Filter that replaces the stock filter in the stock air box.

Yeah EBB I wasnt going that drastic. It is nice that it seals up but how much air can it get from that little front snorkel? I think the K&N is similar to your custom CAI and probably gets more air then the Airaid.

I would leave the bottom and engine side of the Airaid box intact to deflect heat. The fender side though could use some venting in my op.

That's why I went back to my Custom CAI. My IAT Temps are about 10 deg cooler and except when I am in stop and go traffic, or stopped with engine running, my IAT readings are at or close to ambient temp with mine, and about 10 deg higher with AirAid. I think this is in part because the front of the filter is partly blocking the front snorkel, at least in my AirAid install. My Custom system uses a "J pipe" to point the filter end towards the fender, like the K & N system I've seen. I also have a diverter to keep engine heat away from the filter. It does not seal anything off, but allows air to the filter from every direction as well as directing air coming thru the snorkel and other parts of the grill towards the filter.

I think that it would be wise to come up with an extra air inlet pipe into the AirAid from the fender side or bottom on that side, that leads to a higher pressure area under the headlamp, perhaps beside the parking light, or with a scoop flap cut into the underside pan. That's what I did with my G8 intake, and it also works well to keep IAT temps low.

Eric here is what you do. Cant remember the name of the road but there is windy road that starts at Sonic in East Peoria and winds around to Morton. The road is fun to drive by itself but the tunnels at the end are awesome... When you get to the end of the road in Morton you come to a T (Jackson Street) take a left. Lolly gag until you get into the steel tunnel and GUN IT.

Every time we go to EP or Washington for anything I leave and return that way. Every single time the wife says I am childish :)

The airaid does guard the filter from the engine/trans area so that box does help with some heat deflection. That said I plan on cutting a vent hole in the fender side, maybe this weekend. If I do I will post some pics.

Thanks for all the info....

I guess if I really wanted to hear the turbos, I should have purchased the K&N intake.

Not to mention, I am really used to my EVO X that was replaced by the SHO.

Sorry to disappoint you, however, whether you purchased the AirAid, or the competing products, the fact is, you won't hear those turbo's spooling, or blowing off, anywhere near what you're used to having come from the EVO.

Plain & simple.

Part of it has to do with the fact that the boost settings on the SHO are significantly less than what they are on the EVO...

The other part has to do with the fact that FMC has touted the SHO as a semi-luxury performance sedan, as such, there is quite a bit of sound proofing material in, on, and around the engine bay, and elsewhere for that matter.

Hell, I saw fellow EBOF member mac98sho's 2013 SHO in person, and for 2013 model years, they've gone overboard and added even MORE sound deadening / proofing material. Like most visibly on the shock towers inside the engine bay.

So all in all, just remember, it honestly won't matter who's product you end up rolling with, just don't set your expectations as high as you have.

Besides, David from AirAid is an Official EBOF Supporting Vendor, and has done lots for the community and our members individually.

In my book, that's always an A++++ :thumb:

Mike :yo:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I agree with BPD, it wont matter what CAI you put on the the turbo's wont sound any different. Its my opinion being that the turbo's are so small has to do with the sound they make, much like a wind instrument the smaller the higher pitched. With that said they probably make all noise other turbo's make, its just out of our range of hearing.

Just to clarify, I am very happy with the product I purchased (Airaid).

In the back of my mind, I was thinking the exposed filter on the K&N intake would be much louder.... Which I now know, is not true (at least not enough to notice). In that case, I will always purchase from our supporting vendors.

Once again, thanks for all your input.

Paul,

I know exactly what tunnel you are talking about..... its seen many of my cars.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Airaid CAI in yesterday and it was just too tempting to hold off so I installed it. I have the LMS tune and I definately noticed a nice ammount of increase in throaty sound, turbo spooling, and in 1st and 2nd I can hear the blow off pretty clearly. I did notice an acceleration increaseas well. All in all well worth the money invested.

Here is my question, friday I have scheduled my complimentary oil change I figured to do it early (1200 miles) since its free but I was going to wait to install the CAI. Should I revert it back to stock for friday or just leave it? Are the dealerships really giving owners a hard time for CAI modifications? Ive never had a problem with any of my cars being serviced with quality modifications and its one thing to revert back to stock on the tune but its going to be a pain to constantly pull off the cai and go back to stock. Thoughts?

I got my Airaid CAI in yesterday and it was just too tempting to hold off so I installed it. I have the LMS tune and I definately noticed a nice ammount of increase in throaty sound, turbo spooling, and in 1st and 2nd I can hear the blow off pretty clearly. I did notice an acceleration increaseas well. All in all well worth the money invested.

Here is my question, friday I have scheduled my complimentary oil change I figured to do it early (1200 miles) since its free but I was going to wait to install the CAI. Should I revert it back to stock for friday or just leave it? Are the dealerships really giving owners a hard time for CAI modifications? Ive never had a problem with any of my cars being serviced with quality modifications and its one thing to revert back to stock on the tune but its going to be a pain to constantly pull off the cai and go back to stock. Thoughts?

Don't worry about it... CAI is always accepted by dealers. You can talk with your vendor and/or service manager and try to see if they are open with tuning. I know my dealer couldn't care less, they want me to do the service with them and to buy them cars, that's their only goals. So, if my car is tuned and I ask them to perform an oil change, they just do it and bill me. Actually, they know all my mods until the meth. I wanted them to know to make sure they would change the stock file without asking me or put windshield washer as a nice gesture, but that would go in my methanol tank...

So, try to see if they are their to make good business with you, if not, keep it low profile or change dealer!

Cheers!

I would leave things as you have them and see what reaction (if any) you get from the servicing dealership. Leaving the CAI in place is very noticeable and if they make any comments about it (either positive or negative) it will give you a ruler to judge their opinions of mods on the car. My dealer knows everything that has been done to my car and doesn't have any problems with it, and if I need to take it for service, they will warn me if they are going to do anything with the car that would require me to return the tune to stock. That said, there are dealers who do look unfavorably on mods and may give you hassles about changing anything from stock....leaving the CAI in place should be a way to see mods are going to be a problem. It may also give you and opening to discuss, what other changes (tune) you are considering with the service manager and see what reaction you get from them.

I am going to flash back to stock for friday but leave the CAI and like suggested maybe it will ease into another conversation. I have provided the service manager with some samples of Adams when he saw my black Focus detailed and commented its better then anything on the floor. I did all my service with them, had a K&N drop in and a massive strut tower bar in the focus. I never did anything else because it was a commuter car and low hp. I decided I want to do the exhaust on this car probably around spring but who knows my birthday is not far down the road! :RpS_biggrin: I want to ensure no warranty issues with them otherwise I have another dealer not far away I can use.

Archived