Ecoboost Owner Forums

headlights webbing on the inside

casperl878

hello, just curious if this has happened or is common to anyone elses headlights, i have a 2010 40k miles and its on each headlight just started to notice about a month ago. its on the inside of the plastic headlight as you cant feel it on the outside and it looks like some type of webbing/cracking, anyone have any ideas or past experience or suggestions on this unfortunate situation.? and of course i went to the dealer and the lights are not covered and are about $1200-1300 for the pair which is crazy for me to even dare think about buying since i feel its a defect somehow since its on the inside and on each light, thanks

anthony

post-453-14253229464_thumb.jpg

yeah i had my headlights 3mfilm and dark black covered and i noticed it and had that done about2-3 months ago and when i had them done they werent like this otherwise i would of noticed and the installer of the tints would of pointed it out to me, so a couple of days ago i had him gonna do them film over thinking it was the film and no way the lights but it was the lights, kinda sucks there so expensive, i called ford and they said that theres no recall on this, but i suggest if anyone has a problem with this and the brake light chrome peeling which seems to be alot to call up and let them know, they said the more issues and people say this it could get looked into to be a recall,

Hhmmm.......

Makes me want to go and check out mine now Anthony as we both have the same model years, and close to the same mileage.

My heads were tinted pretty early on in my SHO's ownership.... and they're dark.

Not sure if I can readily see through them enough so to perform a proper inspection.

I'll tell 'ya what though, I'll look at 'em and check back.

brake light chrome peeling which seems to be alot to call up and let them know' date=' they said the more issues and people say this it could get looked into to be a recall,[/quote']

I just had all of the brake lights on my 2011 replaced under warranty last week with no problem. I don't see any cracking in my headlights (yet!)

my headlights were tinted only for a couple of months but were tinted very dark also and in the sun and up close you can see it a little bit and then it made me take off the film thinking it was that to redo the tint but no such luck, now im totally baffled and stuck what to do cause its gonna piss me off knowing its there and can retint them again but ill always know its there and up close can still see it, but i just cant see myself spending over 1k on headlights, let me know mike and other guys if you can to check you car out and let me know how your lights are, thanks guys

hello, just curious if this has happened or is common to anyone elses headlights, i have a 2010 40k miles and its on each headlight just started to notice about a month ago. its on the inside of the plastic headlight as you cant feel it on the outside and it looks like some type of webbing/cracking, anyone have any ideas or past experience or suggestions on this unfortunate situation.? and of course i went to the dealer and the lights are not covered and are about $1200-1300 for the pair which is crazy for me to even dare think about buying since i feel its a defect somehow since its on the inside and on each light, thanks

anthony

The lights are not covered, but the headlight housings will be. Don't let the dealer tell you otherwise.

yes im outside the brand new warranty 3 year 36k warranty, but i did buy the best warranty at 25k warranty with ford till 100k and i must say with the few issues ive had nothing is covered under this best extended warranty they offer, and i just cant figure out why or what causes this and it just puzzles me and i know it was there 2 months ago, but i just cant see myself also spending 1,000 plus for headlights so i just im just gonna double or triple darkest possible tint so its not visuable,dont think it will work and ill just kidding on that 2 or 3 ply on tint film,but i will just just use the darkest 3m tint film that i did have on it. if anyone has any suggestions on what this is or the cause of it please do tell, or any ideas on what can fix it or for people who have this issue and you tried things to fix it and it didnt work let me know so i dont waste my time and get mad and kick the light and break it to give me a good reason to buy one lol, thanks guys for input and keep it coming please,

I don't see any signs of webbing on my head lights. I wonder if could been caused by the tint, as in excessive heat is retained in side the housing. But the only time I have seen anything similar to this is when certain solvents come into contact with polycarbonate plastic. As to repairing, not repairable as far as I am aware of. Tascaparts.com has them for $320 a side.

i dont know and think it can be cause of the tint, cause this tint is done on alllllllll types of cars, and a few of us on this site has it, its the same film on the windows 3m film which is good and not a sticky crappy film, its been installed and put on alot of cars and alot more higher end and expensive cars so i cant blame the film, also its on the inside if it was on the outside maybe then i would wonder a lil bit then but like i said i have no other cars/owners complain or have this issue so i have ruled that out, but thanks for commenting and trying to help and i appreciate the comments/suggestions to keep on coming, thanks

Ok, Now I am even more leaning to the tint. You say its the same as your 3m window tint used on your head lights. While 3m make excellent window tints, it has a lot of metal in the film. Which brings me back to my previous post. That metal will reflect back the heat just as it does your windows. Now you say others have there lamps tinted and don't have a issue, as to others on here I don't believe anyone has used window tint. And that would be the only difference I see, where its the cause for sure I have not a clue. Just my best guess.

here is a little stipit I found on a corvette forum.

The spider web cracking you see is a condition called crazing. These are hairline cracks of either the hard coating on the polycarbonate lens cover material or deeper and actually structural in the polycarbonate itself. This condition is generally caused by heat buildup in the lens cover and most commonly contributed to by having clear bra material installed. All clear bra material will not cause this. It can be caused by improper installation using a wetting solution that contains too much alcohol or by the film being too thick and trapping heat in the enclosure.

Upon further reading I guess it can be remedied by sanding a polishing.

Steve, the tint film is thin enough that it may hold a little heat probably more if it has metal content. However, the fact that it is black (more or less) it would attract and hold ambient heat from sunlight, hence building more heat in the headlamp assembly. But you are correct I suppose it would also hold more heat generated by the head lamp itself.

i really dont know and i cant see it being the "dark tint" film itself as the car is black and draws in the sun and alot of heat as people have posted the tint on the headlights is to blame for the extra heat, i mean i would think the sun in those crazy hot days,weeks is drawn in with the on 98% of the car and all around the headlights so idk about that,but i dont know if its the film on it which like i said its on the inside of the headlight, and this film on cars and headlights is done on much higher end cars and alot more expensive ones, so i would think if it did damaged it would b known out there not to do this to your car, but there are also some people who have no tints and this issue as stated on here and theres people with the tints on here who dont have this issue, so i dont know if its one of those ford parts that it just gonna happen sooner or later like the brake lights, keep the comments,ideas,suggestions etc. coming please

Archived