Ecoboost Owner Forums

door/pillar rattle

2010 MKS. I have been chasing a subtle quiet rattle from the front passenger side of the car . I am usually pretty good at these things, but have failed so far.

I hear it over small bumps. it comes from either the front passenger door or the seat belt pillar area. Anybody had a similar issue with a resolution?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had similar rattle, it was the passenger seat back rest. Never did anything about it just went away, if this what you have just put your hand on back rest and should stop if this is your rattle. Other than that can you hear the rattle when closing door? Maybe like a spar part bouncing around inside the door or behind the B-pillar trim.

I can't hear it when I shut the door. It is definitely not coming from the seat, seat back or head rest. I tried everything you described. just got out of the hospital after having my appendix removed during emergency surgery on Wednesday. When I am better, I am going to pull the piller panel off. I was also thinking it might have something to do with a seat belt mechanism inside the pillar.

Thanks for the quick response and for suggestions!

Wiil do ^^ but I do think I banged on the header already - will try again, keeping the wire bundle in there in mind . Please keep suggestions coming guys. These comments help in my thought process. Like I said, I usually proclaim to be an expert rattle finder, but having issues here. I partially dissambled the door panel already and am 90% confident it is not a loose part in there, but since I did not completely take apart, I cannot say 100%. I am leaning towards the pillar/seatbelt assembly.....but did not really weant to jump into that if there are other ideas or somebody has actually had the issue and resolved! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, ripped into it this past week while recouperating.

Removed entire interioir door pillar panels. Nothing.

Removed floor door trim and found a few wires inder the lighted door sill plate that could have been the culprit - secured them (the wires that light up the door sill plates - not sure if the SHO has these or not).

Also placed felt in the power seat adjustment area, as the controls could be rattled ever so slightly and make a noise. I believe this was the real culprit and the wires were secondary, as the noise is gone...at least for now.....

I hope you got it, I know how annoyed I get with rattles.

At first I thought it was probably the rear sunshade rattle. I took the rear package tray out, took out the sunshade, padded the mounting points, etc. That didn't fix it completely. The I thought for sure my rattle was in my front passenger door. I tore the door apart and installed some Dynamat, no dice. I ultimately found the rattle to be the bundle of wires above the headliner, forward of the sunroof. Sounds seem to have a way of telescoping around in these cars.

-Rod

Jinxed myself - noise is back..........

SHO Rod: I can't hear any rattle in the headliner ahead of the sunroof, but worth a check. How did you get to the wire bundle in the headliner? I honestly haven't tried yet, thought you could save me a few minutes - does it just pull down?

I opened the sunroof so that I could get my head up to see what I was looking at, then pulled down gently on the headliner above the passenger side, forward of the opening. The headliner is just held up in that area with some industrial hook and loop fastener. I was able to pull the liner down enough to wrap some old speaker box carpet around the bundle and determine that was the source of my rattle. Somewhere around here there are photos....

-Rod

Ok checked that out and I don't have that wiring so that is not the culprit. Interestingly, my header in that area is held up with super strong magnets! No kidding. So, just give it a tug, and the magnetism breaks, hold it down to do what you want in that area, then let it snap back into place. Never seen anything like it before.

Now I want to tear into the door and take off the inner door panel. I started to do this a while back but stopped when i got stumped thinking i had removed all the screws, but it still felt like something more than clips wwas holding it. I did not want to break it. Anybody have access to an MKS diagram for removal of the inner door panel? Or, perhaps if you have removed an SHO panel, let me know if there is a trick to it that perhaps carries over to the MKS? Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I had it several times. I have taken the door completely apart, pillar apart, checked above the headliner as recommended, been under the car, taken off the door sill trim, taken apart the glove box, secured wires, added foam and felt, taped things, Prayed, etc. I am still working on it.

If you are getting one definitive "clunk", check your seatbelt retractor assembly. Mine is a rattle, like a pebble on plastic or a door lock rod hitting and vibrating against door metal.

Interestingly, my header in that area is held up with super strong magnets! No kidding.

So, just give it a tug, and the magnetism breaks, hold it down to do what you want in that area, then let it snap back into place.

Never seen anything like it before.

I was watching employee's at the Chicago Assembly Plant during my recent tour, and there are a contigent of four of them, that would simultaneously grab a complete headliner from a supply bin/rack, each would take up an outside corner, and then they'd walk with the headliner in hand, and then place it into position in relation to the car itself, and would then just simply give it a good upward pat, in order to "set" it into it's final position.

Eventually, more fasteners are used to help lend the headliner support (i.e. the grab handles, visors, B-Pillar's, etc.)

But yea, there's truth to the fact that there's not a whole helluva lot holding those headliners into place.

To witness all of the collective pieces of the puzzle being put into place was still an amazing site to behold.

^^ Those magnets are really strong too. It takes a good tug to break the connection, then you need to jam a towel in there or if they get too close they will snap back together and trap your hand between the headliner and roof......don't ask me how I know.......I have more bruises and scratches from chasing this %^*(*&()( rattle!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Just wondering if you were able to find the rattle? I have a similar on my 13 SHO. Small bumps and slowing down causes a small clunk coming from the driver side in the same area you described.

Jeff

Hello, I've got a 2013 SHO with about 1000 miles on it and it has developed the same "clunk" coming from under the driver seat area on the left side. I thought it was the seat or some plastic piece under the seat. I did notice that it almost feels like you can feel it at the base where the seat belt goes in at the floor. Very annoying though I hope I can fix it.

Scott

Archived