Ecoboost Owner Forums

anyone going with the 10000 mile oil change?

I change my oil once a year, I use Amsoil 0W-30 Signature Series Oil and Amsoil Filters.. 25,000 Mile Warranty on the filter and more than double that on the oil.. I have had it in the SHO for 8 months now so far and it looks like its only been in there a week!!! Still got the golden brown color to it!!! Had a sample sent off 2 months ago and it was still in operating parameters!!!

For me the answer is simple...to quote the Wizard Of Oz: "No way, no how"! Just can't bring myself to going over 3,000 miles between changes. It's an old habit, but all our vehicles get that treatment. Since I consider it an inexpensive way to keep clean fluids in the engine, I will continue it. I really believe that clean fluids promote long engine life, whether it be oil or coolant.

And it's 6 quarts in all the SHO's....I believe it was in early 2011 that Ford upped the 2010 to 6 quarts because of the turbos.

8,000 is my target. Been running Mobil 1 in my turbo cars since 2000.

My 2000 Audi had an 8000 mile schedule (twin turbo) my 2006 Volvo was 8000 as well (1 turbo). Wife's Mazda is 8000 (1 turbo)

Years ago, I sat on a cross country plane ride next to a pennzoil engineer. We were talking Dino oil, and he said the 3 month 3000 mile schedule was pure Marketting and most of today's Dino oils were well capable of 5000+ miles. Full synthetics were good past 150000 miles.

8,000 is my target. Been running Mobil 1 in my turbo cars since 2000.

My 2000 Audi had an 8000 mile schedule (twin turbo) my 2006 Volvo was 8000 as well (1 turbo). Wife's Mazda is 8000 (1 turbo)

Years ago, I sat on a cross country plane ride next to a pennzoil engineer. We were talking Dino oil, and he said the 3 month 3000 mile schedule was pure Marketting and most of today's Dino oils were well capable of 5000+ miles. Full synthetics were good past 150000 miles.

Be careful with the extended intervals, never let it go longer than a year regardless of mileage. I pushed it on time in my ST with AMSOIL 0-20 and it was cooked when I changed it.

I would also recommend lots of reading at the Bob is the Oil Guy forum, starting here...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

Growing up, I remember my grandfather saying that oil changes were gimmicks. He NEVER changed his oil, cleaned his spark plugs, and dusted out the air filter. Granted that was the old Buick 350 V8, Ford 302 V8, and Ford truck V6's of the day, but, he never had an engine failure and always kept his cars for 10+ years.

I just let the oil sensor on the SHO tell me when to have it changed. That's averaging around 6,000 miles or so...

• 3 months later...

Just thought this might be a good topic to bring to....well....the top. I'm doing a 10,000 mile change in about a month but only because I'm a big Amsoil believer, not a seller. I'm sticking to the 5-30 weight in my (11) sho which should be more than fine. I will send it in again to find out if the oil is still within the limits of protection for the engine.

I've done the 20 mile on my POS taurus (06) with 130k miles and done this 3 times already. I sent for the oil analysis at 20k and it was still ok to use but heading south. I think it depends on the car though because my buddy also used Amsoil in his SVT Focus (03) and the analysis came back that 15k was max for the weight oil he was using.

I have used Amsoil for 6 years in my cars. I change it once a year, so ~13K is all I have gone. Changed my '13 over at 2500 miles and will change it again in Feb 2014. I got turned on to Amsoil by the race team. Car owner (and driver) has been running it since ~1990. Proud to say we haven't had an oil related failure to date (knock on wood).

Im still not a fan of the idea of our tiny little turbos getting red hot, and cooking the oil. And even though I may be wrong, and it may not need it, I dont feel bad, or feel like im waisting money by changing it every 3-4k miles, and I drive about 1500-2000 miles a month.

I dont know, I just feel that most of the cars were close to $50,000 NEW, If I do 2 too many oil changes a year, thats only an extra $100. I wont miss it.

I'll typically go 5K 'tween my intervals.

I choose to use a product other than Amsoil.

No oil related issues that I've experienced either, whether the SHO, or others I've ran it through over the years.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Have you been still been using the recomended 5W-20 for the 2010 or have you switched to 5W-30?

I just changed mine last night at 5k. I'm sticking with Mobil 1 Synthetic 5-30. Like others on here I'm having a hard time tearing away from the 3k intervals. My computer said I still had 46% life left but I'm just going to stick with a 5k change. As others have mentioned, there is too much going on in this engine and I feel it's cheap insurance.

I have talked with Mobil reps. Even normal Dino oil is good to well beyond 5,000 miles. synthetics are good to well over 15,000 asuming kept in proper temp ranges and filtered.

I have been using mobil 1 since 1992. And i am on a 8,000 mile schedule. basically its the same cost as dino oil @ 3,000 miles.

Im still not a fan of the idea of our tiny little turbos getting red hot, and cooking the oil. And even though I may be wrong, and it may not need it, I dont feel bad, or feel like im waisting money by changing it every 3-4k miles, and I drive about 1500-2000 miles a month.

The bearings on the Turbo on Ecoboost engines having cooling lines...Coking of oil in a turbo setup is relic of the 1980s...

This is a very interesting debate. I'm sure for the average driver on synthetic going 7 to 8k miles is more than fine. But, with that said, this is my 3rd factory boosted engine. My old terminator would turn oil black in less than a 1000 miles. My turbo Caliber at about 2000 miles. So, I know that black oil is still working, but it's the fuel smell (sometimes) that worries me the most. I want any possible fuel out of my oil asap. Thus 3 to 4k oil changes are a must for me. Bottom line is in less than 15-20 minutes and Autozone specials you can change your own oil (synthetic) and filter for less than $40.00. Go to a shop and they want $90 to 120 for same thing. The moral is change it yourself more often. Plus it's good to get in and inspect your vehicle with your own hands and eyes. Sorry rambling....

I wait for the car's oil % indicator to change the oil. Today's car's are so efficient that even with turbos the oil still stays clean. some people get so hung up on oil that it drives them crazy. Just read the owners manual and you will be fine. Keep all receipts for oil and filters that you buy for the warranty. I just buy Ford oil. If you track your car than racing oil may be what you need but for the most part I stick with what Ford recommends.