Ecoboost Owner Forums

Ecoboost possibility?

Esqny

Hi folks,

I'm new here so please don't laugh if this sounds like a stupid question - I may be an old dog but I'm still trying to learn new tricks. :) I'd like to buy an ecoboost MKS. My friend who I used to work on cars with back in the 60s tells me that I can put some programmer into the car and change the engine parameters to make a lot more power from the turbocharged engine. It's been almost 50 years since I seriously worked on cars and engines, but suffice to say we never dealt with engine computers back then. So is this true? Many thanks!

Welcome aboard :welcome:

Your question is not stupid for the record and as others have echoed, just adding a tune alone to your EcoBoost will yield significant gains.

I recall having worked on my old late 70's and early 80's Camaro's and having to rejet the carbs, upgrade exhaust (by hand not purchasing a bolt on kit), etc. etc.

It really is amazing how far the ECM's have come along, and how doing "simple" mods (w/o getting terribly dirty mind you) can improve not only the driveablility of one's vehicle, but also the mere enjoyment of operating it, day in and day out.

You've got at least two good tuning companies out there that come to mind, so do your homework by researching any previous posts here on that, and make your decision on who ever you feel comfortable going with.

Good luck :thumb:

That is some really fascinating stuff. Thank you for the dyno graphs. It's been a long time since I built engines and it seems like things have come a long way. At first, I was disappointed that I couldn't get a V8 in a Lincoln (last Lincoln I bought new had the 462 V8) and thought the V6 would be stretched to its limit but apparently this isn't the case. I'm sold, I'll be purchasing an MKS in a week or so. What did the guys do to make 500 horsepower?

I have an 2010 MKS with Livernois and an Airaid CAI. The CAI allegedly adds 9 HP. So if you have the tune and CAI like me, theoretically, HP would be at 429. I have never been dyno'd, so no idea if all that is true. What I can tell for sure though is that less than 850 bucks in performance mods and the car can hit 60 in 4.47 and still rides and drives like a Lincoln should. Are you looking at a used MKS or a 2013?

Livernois tune with mycal tuner, Alky control meth injection, Airaid intake, H&R springs and custom exhaust... Total of 3K$ plus meth install (1500$) and springs install (200$), so for less than 5K$ in performance additions and not having done anything myself beside the air intake, I went from a 13.7 sec at 102mph car to a 12.0 at 117mph! 0-60 from bit more than 5 seconds to less than 4 seconds!

Not too shabby for a 4,400lbs car... Well worrth it and drivability and reliability is still there and car feels healthier than ever.

Welcome to modding cars in the 21st century! Much easier to get the first 150hp than before for sure.

Good luck on your purchase and enjoy the hidden power!

These are really great cars, both the MKS and SHO get lots of looks, and they shock people at the drag strip. I was used to turning a dizzy for more timing, and turning a/f screws to tune until last year. It is kinda nice to just press a button!

Get out and buy one!

I definitely will! Someone earlier asked if I was looking for new or used; I'm headed to the dealership early next week for a new '13 MKS. To give you some perspective of the other vehicles I looked at, I was looking at all of the full size German sedans, but bad experience with a new Mercedes S Class a little over 10 years ago really soured me on German reliability (and I understand BMW electronics are nightmares). I have an '05 Arnage that I don't want to continue driving daily. I looked at everything, and nothing really appealed to me. I decided to give Lincoln a look, since I had a Continental convertible years ago that I adored. Man oh man, that black MKS sitting on the showroom floor looked far better in person than it did in pictures. I was convinced that this is the car for me after a test drive, but I was skeptical that a tune could do much for an engine. I guess I was wrong about that too.

Thanks to everyone who was kind enough to participate in this thread and answer my questions! I'm sure I'll be back soon looking for more advice when the time comes. :)

I hear you on German reliability. We have a 2008 BMW 535xi wagon with a 6-speed stick. Love the car. It's got a twin-turbo direct injected 3.0 liter straight Six... so somewhat comparable to an Ecoboost. It's had 4 fuel pumps in 51,000 miles. It's had the computer replaced (mega-expensive, glad it was covered!), the tailgate has given us troubles, and it was flat-bedded Monday because the waterpump died at 51,000 miles.

Our MKS is easily the equal to the legendary 5-series. Yes, our 5 handles a bit crisper, but I think springs and tires will address much of that. In a straight line I think the Lincoln would edge out the Bimmer. In features and comfort, easy win for Lincoln.

Old German cars run forever. I'm driving our 30 year old 911 while my wife gets the MKS until the BMW is fixed. New ones... not so sure!

Holy ironic. My phone rang while I was typing this. It was Bentley. Really! We did a tour of the old Crewe factory a decade ago and they wanted to update my contact information. A guy can dream, right?

Hope you enjoy your new hot rod!

Here is my dyno chart from this summer. Blue graph is SCT tuner Red graph is MyCal tuner, this was with corsa cat back, 170 thermostat, airaid CAI. Best 0-60mph 3.8sec best 1/4mi 12:25@110mph.

Crash712us...Out of curiosity, Scrming with Stage+ and Methanol puts out 359HP/397TQ and you have 403HP/417TQ. Where do you attribute the difference? Is that from using the MyCal (having more parameters to work with) and Stage 5 tune?

Yes Mel' date=' it was in my case. I believe scrmings dyno was on SCT tuner.[/quote']

correct.. my dyno was on the SCT Stage4+ with methanol... and actually Dan tweaked my SCT tune a bit after I got some passes at the track, so I'm sure if we had re-dyno'ed the SCT might have show a little bit higher numbers... That being said... LOVE THE MYCAL!!!

As far as I know tuning doesn't effect emissions testing, and why don't factories do it? Well wouldn't that eliminate the after market? There are endless reasons why, but nobody knows for sure why. One example, the 2013 taurus was rumored to be marketed with a 400hp rating. The reason they didn't I was told was for insurance purposes.

What about smog checks? Are these tunes legal? If yes' date=' why don't the factories do it when they build the car?[/quote']

For warranty purposes. When you require more of an engine, it doesn't mean it will break, but it will wear faster. It is like a pair of running shoes, if you run with them they won't split in to, but you can expect that they will last less longer. So Ford is proposing a solid engine that can deliver much more than the 365hp/350lbs, but the probability of having a part to replace if pushed is higher and that would affect their profitability (which is already very low).

But, as a client, it is well worth the $ to tune it... It's just that you have to keep in mind that if you keep your car long term, you will probably have to replace some parts sooner than if not tuned. That said, Livernois (the tuner I know) is very conservative in their tunes and reliability is still very good.

Actually, many car companies offer an engine for a few years and then just retune it for better mileage and more power... Or in the same year, they offer the same engine in two different cars, but will crank one more than another. But when they do it, they jack the price accordingly to pay for the higher risk of default of the engine. That is why when we look at the price of two cars with the same engine and one being cranked and we see a cost of 4K$ more, we say: wow! 4k$ for just tuning the car? We can have Livernois doing it for less than 1K$... But if you have a failure, then it is at your own risk...

Still all worth it if you choose well the tuner!

For warranty purposes. When you require more of an engine, it doesn't mean it will break, but it will wear faster. It is like a pair of running shoes, if you run with them they won't split in to, but you can expect that they will last less longer.

Still all worth it if you choose well the tuner!

Steve, I don't know that your comparison if very accurate, because you are basically saying that if you run faster in your running shoes they won't last as long as if you walk in them. I find that totally incorrect. Having had many, many running shoes, it didn't matter if you ran or walked in them they would last for about the same amount of miles. Now when you compare that to engines you have to remember the purpose of the engine. If you try to make a race engine last on the street, it just won't.....it's not built for idling, traffic, and daily driving...it was built to run, and run at higher load levels. Hence, the problem with street performance, where is the line between and engine that is "liveable" on the street and still delivers performance? I believe that the tuners here, have found a very happy medium with the two choices. I don't know if you are old enough to remember some of the muscle cars but they were almost impossible to live with on the street, they required almost daily work to keep them running and then it was hard to keep them at peak performance.

I agree with your premise that if you are going to run an engine harder, you can expect more failure, but to think that today's performance cars will not last as long as their non-performance counterparts is a mistake, especially when you use a tuner like LMS who have proven their tunes to be very streetable and not stressing engines or parts. Now if you chose to drive with your left foot on the floor, and pushing the engine on a regular basis....is it the fault of the tuner or the driver....I will leave that for you to decide. However, in closing, I will add, I love the car tuned and would not want to be without it....more risk, maybe, but don't you really risk damage anytime you flog an engine?