Ecoboost Owner Forums

Check your boost levels!!!

I have been reading about what the stock vs 4+ boost level should have been and have seen various readings here and there and a lot of discussion around what they "should" be. Previously with the 4+ tune I could max at about 11 PSI (on a good day) but usually saw around 10. I thought it might just be Torque - the car felt fast after all...Well I took the car to the dealer today because I was about to hit 36K and I wanted the peeling chrome taillights replaced. I also just got done changing the oil and noticed the front turbo had a lot of oil residue on it (nothing was actually dripping). I put the car back to stock and noticed that max boost was now only around 8 lbs. and the car felt significantly slower. I just chalked that up to the lack of the tune.

Well the dealer called me up and said they agreed it was leaking and replaced the O-rings on the oil inlet supply tube. (a known TSB I believe) They also replaced my taillights no problem. Still stock I continued logging on the way home and now I was seeing a solid 10-11 PSI and the car even felt quicker. A previous 0-60 run on Torque netted a 5.1 0-60 second run tuned...it wasn't nearly as fast as I was hoping for but I realize Torque may not be terribly accurate so I had pretty much ignored it. Now stock it was running a 0-60 of 5.1.

I went home and loaded the tune and drove around for a bit to let everything settle in. Then I floored it...13.5 PSI and the car is an absolute rocket. It's NEVER been this fast (bought it used with 11k on the ODO). Torque read 0-60 in 4.69 seconds.

Now the part I don't get is I don't understand how the oil supply tube O-rings/leaking oil could have caused lack of boost?? Shouldn't that just affect the oil going to the turbo and not how fast it spools? Was maybe an intake tube loose or something and they tightened it?

I am very happy and finally am realizing the full potential of this car. Awesome!

I highly recommend checking your turbos and/or intake plumbing if you have lower than normal boost levels.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither. I am using the Android Torque app with an OBDLink MX adapter to Bluetooth.

Thanks for sharing. I think I'm in the same situation as you. Using torque I've been struggling to get over 12 lbs. and wondering if there was a problem with my turbos. I'm noticing a dark sooty spot on the garage floor. Not oily but dry like soot. I wonder if that could be evidence of oil in the turbos. I'm calling the dealer first thing tomorrow. I'm slightly over 40 K now but even if no longer covered replacing O rings should not be outrageously expensive. I'd love to have the results you did. Thanks again for the post!

Both turbos, whether you're running the stock tune file, or a modified tune file, that increases boost, have been known to leak.

It is a documented condition and there are TSB's for both the gaskets on the return tube line(s), as well the oil tube supply lines.

I would imagine that you were losing some degree of boost due to the leaking.

Another reason why I myself am planning on upgrading to the new modified turbo's sold through / by LMS this year.

The two members here who have been running them have indicated they have had ZERO leaking issues since their install.

Hell, both of mine (OEM) leak slightly even to this day, and that is WITH the TSB's each having been performed.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

./Paul if we use our MyCal maf gauge would give us how much boost we have?

Yeah shoman but it has to be set up. The device can give you some gauges as is, and for others you have to "calculate" what you need. One of the members figured how to set a calculator up as a boost gauge. It isnt the in MyCal section but if I remember right somebody linked the post in the mycal section.

Actually on my list today to try and set this up :)

You guys had me spooked as I have an early build but it looks pretty good. Set up my MyCal and get 14-16 pretty easy, some 17 and even say 18 for a second. Looks like no leaking for me yet.

When I first read how to set the mycal up I thought it sounded complicated, it is not. If you have a mycal set it up for the boost gauge and check yours, easy. I spent 5 minutes including printing the original post, finding my device, and setting it up.

Here is the original post I used.

http://www.ecoboostownerforums.com/showthread.php?836-Performance-with-Stage-3-and-question-about-MyCal

I didn't post a how to....I was poring over them. For me it was a hard slow process but I did it. It's doable. It's not rocket science but it's sure not intuitive. You do have to set up a calculator that basically subtracts atmospheric pressure from absolute manifold pressure. These two values are available to be plucked off the OBD2. You have to follow all the rules and be very patient and stubborn. Probably best to start with trying to show a single value readings so you don't need a calculator then as you get more familiar with the logic try for a boost gauge. I ran the MYCAL boost gauge for quite a while but when I got the Torque App, it took over. Much more elegant, powerful, and much easier to play with.

You guys had me spooked as I have an early build but it looks pretty good. Set up my MyCal and get 14-16 pretty easy, some 17 and even say 18 for a second. Looks like no leaking for me yet.

When I first read how to set the mycal up I thought it sounded complicated, it is not. If you have a mycal set it up for the boost gauge and check yours, easy. I spent 5 minutes including printing the original post, finding my device, and setting it up.

Here is the original post I used.

http://www.ecoboostownerforums.com/showthread.php?836-Performance-with-Stage-3-and-question-about-MyCal

Just goes to show who is good at this and who is not!

Just goes to show who is good at this and who is not!

I had already set up a couple gauges so knew were to start. I think I remember reading you had 1 number screwed up which is all it would take...

I knew LMS had gotten boost out of these but seeing it first hand I am impressed! A car built to peak at 12psi is peaking at 18 with stock turbos! Now I will have to check it every other day just to make I am not loosing any ;)

Today I will flash back to stock (shudder) to prepare for my trip to the dealership bright and early tomorrow morning to check on the oil in the turbo issue. I so want to get it fixed' date=' come home, go back to 4+ and find 13.5 lbs of boost on my gauge. Fingers crossed!![/quote']

Just make sure that it has the same strategy code before putting the tune back in. The dealer might re-flash ECU and not tell you.

I do have to say that after a couple of days of running the car the boost has dropped a little...no where down to where it was but the car is adjusting to some degree. I'm sure the knock history etc. is playing some factor etc...and I do drive it aggressively so it isn't that. Lol.

I got into a little early morning freeway competition with a Lexus IS F and I was able to barely walk him which is about what I would be expecting tuned.

I am going to keep an eye on the gauges over time and see what happens. Car is still way quicker than before!

Just make sure that it has the same strategy code before putting the tune back in. The dealer might re-flash ECU and not tell you.

Thanks for reminding me. Will do. Also I want to look into how agreeable my dealer will be to changing fluid in the PTU. Another great heads up from this forum. I will report back next week.

Also I want to look into how agreeable my dealer will be to changing fluid in the PTU.

Another great heads up from this forum.

"Agreeable"??? Huh?

Screw that, they should be jumping at taking your money for performing a relatively moderately involved fluid change.

I'd tell 'em.....

"Don't wanna change it huh? Can I have that in writing please? Cuz when my PTU fails due to your lack of interest in changing the fluid, even when i've requested it, I would think Corporate wouldn't be happy knowing they could've saved the expense of a PTU replacement for me".

"Agreeable"??? Huh?

Screw that, they should be jumping at taking your money for performing a relatively moderately involved fluid change.

I'd tell 'em.....

"Don't wanna change it huh? Can I have that in writing please? Cuz when my PTU fails due to your lack of interest in changing the fluid, even when i've requested it, I would think Corporate wouldn't be happy knowing they could've saved the expense of a PTU replacement for me".

Speaking of warrantee.... I'm over the 36K bumper to bumper, but the turbo oil leak should be considered 6 year, 60K engine drivetrain.....right??

Well....I guess it's a mixed bag. Either good or bad depending on how you look at it. First my spot on the garage floor is carbon. It's from a condensation drain in a resonator. So no oil in the turbo. If I had a lift, or felt like jacking and crawling I would have known on my own. Good news and yet no magic fix for my ....is it low or is it not.....boost. The process I went through though was enlightening. With a fresh flash back to stock, my readings topped out at slightly more than 10lbs. And after re-flashing to 4+ I'm back to a fairly steady 12 lbs. the cars personality with 4+ is just so much more enjoyable. Stock it's a refined and elegant beast. With 4+ it's tamed and housebroken but a much more enthusiastic beast. I know some cars are just a little faster than other identical cars, and maybe my boost is just going to be around 12lbs. I don't know....just letting it sink in and thinking on it. Thanks for asking!

Well....I guess it's a mixed bag. Either good or bad depending on how you look at it. First my spot on the garage floor is carbon. It's from a condensation drain in a resonator. So no oil in the turbo. If I had a lift' date=' or felt like jacking and crawling I would have known on my own. Good news and yet no magic fix for my ....is it low or is it not.....boost. The process I went through though was enlightening. With a fresh flash back to stock, my readings topped out at slightly more than 10lbs. And after re-flashing to 4+ I'm back to a fairly steady 12 lbs. the cars personality with 4+ is just so much more enjoyable. Stock it's a refined and elegant beast. With 4+ it's tamed and housebroken but a much more enthusiastic beast. I know some cars are just a little faster than other identical cars, and maybe my boost is just going to be around 12lbs. I don't know....just letting it sink in and thinking on it. Thanks for asking![/quote']

Im with you man im seeing between 12-13 usually. Sometimes only 11. Yesterday i did see like 13.8 almost 14 lol

Just thinking of something the service writer told me. My gut reaction was to blow it off, because he did not inspire me with his depth of performance knowledge and because it was a typical B/S type of comment. He claimed that the winter fuel mix might have an impact on boost levels. I was doubtful, but I don't know enough to refute. I have to credit him with dealing with this kind of stuff on a daily basis so it leaves me wondering if there could be a logical connection between "winter fuel" and reduced boost??

Just thinking of something the service writer told me. My gut reaction was to blow it off' date=' because he did not inspire me with his depth of performance knowledge and because it was a typical B/S type of comment. He claimed that the winter fuel mix might have an impact on boost levels. I was doubtful, but I don't know enough to refute. I have to credit him with dealing with this kind of stuff on a daily basis so it leaves me wondering if there could be a logical connection between "winter fuel" and reduced boost??[/quote']

He's actually not lying lol. I used to run 3 different tunes on my Mazdaspeed 3. E85 tune(all out kickass tune)/93oct tune(typical aggressive DD tune) and winter tune(detuned DD tune). The winter mix around New england suck. I used to see crazy KR level's with certain gases. Even E85 during the winter there is less ethanol in it.