Ecoboost Owner Forums

Transmission Service Question

I am taking the car in tomorrow to have the rear diff fluid changed ($99.00) and the tranny fluid drained and re-filled. I have 55K on the car (2010 MKS) and NEVER track it. Neither the tranny nor rear diff has ever been changed. Obviously I am doing both earlier than Ford and my dealer recommend.

Here is the big question: The dealer did "recommend" a BG flush of the tranny, if i am going to do it. They want 100 bucks for the drain and refill of the tranny, or 180 bucks for a BG flush. Any opinions on the flush? I don't normally go for the flush, but this car is a little higher performance than my past cars. It's not the 80 bucks that is making me hesitate, it is that historically I have not been a fan of flushes generally. I have never had a BG flush though...... Any thoughts are appreciated.

Todd

Todd, I would go with the flush. The drain & fill leaves too much old fluid in the transmission to suit me. The torque converter has no drain plug and the cooling lines also hold some fluid. I have had the flush done on my old Lincoln LS, my Ranger and my wife's Taurus. I really think that is the way to go.

The drain & fill would be a simple procedure. You could do that yourself quite easily.

My dealer also does the BG services, and the service manger says the BG services are not a gimmick that they do work. I have had the upper end fuel and injector cleaning done on both our 99 Sable and on the SHO. Had the SHO done when it was in for it's 22K service just a few months ago. I saw the results on the Sable and "felt" the results on the SHO, and felt it was worth the 70 dollar cost. I know the entire upper end of the Sable was much cleaner after the service. So I would say yes to the BG transmission flush. I also assume that they are replacing the transmission filter since you are having the fluid changed? (That is assuming our cars have a transmission filter, since I am not sure about it). Anyway, my service manager is really straight with me and he really thinks the BG services are very good and are worth the cost, they are not just a cheap expense. I plan on having my drive train done at 30K and will have the BG flush done when I have the fluid changed.

If your running the fluid closer to the end of its live cycle, i a flush is not a bad idea. To help clean up any varnish or broken down fluid floating around in the system. Along with the Tranny and rear Diff don't forget the the PTU. I know i typically do the entire system once a year, but that is because i track the car. I have the dealer do the PTU and Rear Diff and i do the tranny.

Thanks for all the input guys - I am going with the flush and feel much more confident about it now. This is a new dealer I am going to, and I feel they were being straight with me in the sense that he told me I really did not have to have the tranny serviced at only 55K, but he understood if i wanted to do it. Thats why I kind of belived him on the flush, but still did not want to get taken advantage of or pay for a gimmicky procedure.

I may not be remebering correctly, but I think he said the $99.00 rear diff was also a B&G flush - is that possible?

Todd

Ok... here's the interesting thing... I took the Flex in and asked them to flush the tranny. They told me they couldn't do a flush because there is some internal check valve. The best they could do was drain the tranny as much as they could and then refill. I've seen those investigative reports where people get ripped off at certain quickie places that charge for services they never do... so wonder if my dealership doesn't know what they are talking about, don't have the right equipment, or dealerships are telling folks they did the flush.... ?????

I do know that a B&G flush is a real thing........ and if somebody wants a flush, that is the kind to get if you can..... I know they are really flushing it....I just did not know if I should do it. No doubt some shady places tell you they are flushing, then don't......

Time to go take out the Airaid so when they do the service, they can check the dipstick level...lol.....

Ok... here's the interesting thing... I took the Flex in and asked them to flush the tranny. They told me they couldn't do a flush because there is some internal check valve. The best they could do was drain the tranny as much as they could and then refill. I've seen those investigative reports where people get ripped off at certain quickie places that charge for services they never do... so wonder if my dealership doesn't know what they are talking about' date=' don't have the right equipment, or dealerships are telling folks they did the flush.... ?????[/quote']

I just checked the BG website and it looks like they use some fairly sophisticated equipment to do the flush, and that it is done by contacting the transmission to the machinery. Sounds like it is really pretty cool, I'm really sold on it now.

Ok... here's the interesting thing... I took the Flex in and asked them to flush the tranny. They told me they couldn't do a flush because there is some internal check valve. The best they could do was drain the tranny as much as they could and then refill. I've seen those investigative reports where people get ripped off at certain quickie places that charge for services they never do... so wonder if my dealership doesn't know what they are talking about' date=' don't have the right equipment, or dealerships are telling folks they did the flush.... ?????[/quote']

They do and don't john, these cars have to be fully heated up because of the thermostat to trans cooler. When I had mine done, we had to brake torque the trans up so get the thermostat to open.

I just checked the BG website and it looks like they use some fairly sophisticated equipment to do the flush' date=' and that it is done by contacting the transmission to the machinery. Sounds like it is really pretty cool, I'm really sold on it now.[/quote']

I had a good talk with the service department today while they were doing my car, and it is pretty sophisticated. I got a little certification warranty card that the BG was done. Apparently, if there's a failure within 30,000 miles, BG will cover expenses. I'm still under warranty, so I don't really care about that. But, I did want to say thank you to everybody who helped direct me to get the flush. I'm very happy that I got the flush, as well as the BG differential change. Got home, put the tune back in, and while it all may be completely in my head, it seems to be shifting even better than before.

I have always been happy with the BG services I've had performed, and glad that you had a good experience. I really do believe that you can tell a difference in the shifting. I know after the top end service, I thought the car just "felt" a bit more responsive to throttle input. It's not something that a casual driver would notice, but if you know the "feel" of your car, you could notice the difference. Glad that you had a good experience!

They do and don't john' date=' these cars have to be fully heated up because of the thermostat to trans cooler. When I had mine done, we had to brake torque the trans up so get the thermostat to open.[/quote']

I just checked the BG website and it looks like they use some fairly sophisticated equipment to do the flush' date=' and that it is done by contacting the transmission to the machinery. Sounds like it is really pretty cool, I'm really sold on it now.[/quote']Like Scrming at 30kmi the service sale guy said do flush, but the transmission guy said you can't flush this car. So I ask the sevice manager(who is a LMS tune F150) so we talk about up-grade,sevice,and Mods all the time. No Flush just drain &fill to flush the trans has to be remove.

Crash & mjhpadi I will go over there Friday and ask about BG sevice and brake torguing.

Like Scrming at 30kmi the service sale guy said do flush, but the transmission guy said you can't flush this car. So I ask the sevice manager(who is a LMS tune F150) so we talk about up-grade,sevice,and Mods all the time. No Flush just drain &fill to flush the trans has to be remove.

Crash & mjhpadi I will go over there Friday and ask about BG sevice and brake torguing.

Please do...I am very curious as to what they say since I just paid to have mine "flushed".
Hi EcoBoostSHO I talk to Bill My service Manager today and he said.(1) BG is one of the best and oldest cleaning product for transmission there is. (2)Running this transmission for 30 min the vale in the trans will open up. (3)This trans is a DCT and every thing except the 1st clutch is a manual (1st clutch is wet) with forge inters, full synic oil,metal strain not a filter, this trans is design to be sever like a manual transmission drain & refill every 30Kmi. That what Bill said.

Hi EcoBoostSHO I talk to Bill My service Manager today and he said.(1) BG is one of the best and oldest cleaning product for transmission there is. (2)Running this transmission for 30 min the vale in the trans will open up. (3)This trans is a DCT and every thing except the 1st clutch is a manual (1st clutch is wet) with forge inters' date=' full synic oil,metal strain not a filter, this trans is design to be sever like a manual transmission drain & refill every 30Kmi. That what Bill said.[/quote']

Thanks! That makes me feel better...I know they did the BG service so hopefully they did it right.

Thanks! That makes me feel better...I know they did the BG service so hopefully they did it right.

x2....I still don't fully uinderstand, but sounds like doing the BG was a good idea and somewhat better than just drain and refill. I am glad because the BG was 80 bucks more......

(3)This trans is a DCT and every thing except the 1st clutch is a manual (1st clutch is wet) with forge inters' date=' full synic oil,metal strain not a filter, this trans is design to be sever like a manual transmission drain & refill every 30Kmi. That what Bill said.[/quote']

Are you referring to this the 6F55 being a dual clutch transmission?

Are you referring to this the 6F55 being a dual clutch transmission?

YES DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) This design came out Eur rally racing.They have a manual clutch for 1st gear and 2nd -6th gear is a auto paddle shift with a auto clutch. Now the 6f55 is not a racing trans but the concept is and Ford and GM design it together.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM-Ford_6-speed_automatic_transmission