Ecoboost Owner Forums

NOOB Question - Tuning process

So being new to the EB platform, my first interest is of course more power. How does the tuning take place. It is such as purchasing a tuner such as an SCT and then purchasing a tune from a manufacturer say Livernois. I tried to search the forum but I couldn't find the step by step process on how to do a tune from start to finish. Also the car in question is a '11 MKS. Thanks in advance!!

You can buy both from livernois. But you won't receive the tune files until after you get the SCT. When the SCT shows up you will need to go out to your car, plug it in and pull up what your strategy code is, just write it down on a piece of paper. Then email your code to livernois. At that point they will email you the tune files that match your code.

Well, there are a few different tuning companies out there that our members have used. They are (in no particular order):

Livernois Motorsports, Unleashed Tuning, & Tuning By James

No matter which vendor you choose, the process is essentially the same for all of them.

1.) Choose a tuning device of your choice (SCT, MyCal, etc.)

2.) Obtain your strategy code and provide it to your chosen tuner

3.) If electing to get a "canned" tune, then select which tune file you'd prefer

4.) Custom dyno tunes are the best, as they incorporate all of your mods, and make the most efficient use of each

5.) Typically, your tune file will be emailed to you (if not pre-loaded on your device itself the 1st time around)

6.) Download your emailed tune file to your device, then take the device to the car and plug it into the OBD port

7.) Follow the directions on w/e device you bought, and it should prompt you each step of the way, to upload tune file to your car's ECM

8.) Biggest issue people have had is with the push button start.

8a.) Pressing start button quickly, one time, will simply place car into "accessory Mode"

8b.) To program ECM, you'll want to press AND hold start button until gauges sweep (do NOT place foot onto brake pedal while doing this step)

8c.) Also, make sure all accessories are OFF, and do not open/close doors, or windows, etc.

9.) Once the above steps are followed, your device will prompt you what to do, to finalize the process.

Then, go out and enjoy your newly discovered power.

One thing to note, because our cars are push button start, the first time you deal with getting the tune installed it can be somewhat frustrating if you follow the instructions as the device tells you while performing the necessary steps. What worked best for me when the handheld said to "turn the key off", I actually ignored that step and just let my car stay in the same state it was already in. Also to get the car into the accessory mode step you need to hold the push button for about 3-5 seconds. You will know you are at the right step because all the dash lights will light up and the speedo and tach needles will swipe across. Once in that mode I never touched anything and just kept going through the prompts on the handheld, even when it said to turn the car off, I didn't and just kept going though the prompts and that worked best from my experience with getting the strategy code and uploading the tunes.

WHP #'s and WTQ #'s change with the various tune files.

For instance, Livernois has I believe like 4 or 5 different "stages" of files, each with varying degrees of change(s).

Stage 2, Stage 3, Stage 4, Stage 4+, and Stage 5

For those guys with tunes only, I believe, the Stage 4 files (from LMS) are actually showing a range of 40-60whp increase.

IDK much about the other tuners as I haven't really seen any dyno sheets from those purchasers, but they claim using the butt dyno factor, that he increase is significant.

Hope that's of some help to you :noidea:

From what I was told by Rick, The old Stage 4+, is just the new/current Stage 4. There is no such thing as a new Stage 4+. I asked because when I got mine, I asked for the 4+, and he said thats just the new normal 4.

So old 4+ and New 4 = Same thing. lol

Harry, another thing you will notice in addition to the extra power is how much nicer the transmission shifts. The stock programming has a lot of torque management - it retards the engine power during the shifts to make them super smooth. The result sort of feels like the engine shuts off for a split second - I am sure you have noticed that. The tuning reduces the amount of torque management so the the shifts are firmer. Driven gently, you barely notice the difference but under full power, it is a dramatic improvement.

Not that I am aware of, I don't think even SCT has even cracked the code yet. As for 2013 they encrypted everything. For LMS its pays to have a very close working relationship with Ford Motor, which not a lot of people know Ford has there own room at LMS and co own the AWD dyno.

That's interesting Crash. I wonder why a tune developed by a company that works hand in hand with Ford voids the warranty. Also makes you wonder how similar the Livernois tunes are to the rumored factory 400hp tune.

Back when I had my '00 Dakota R/T, you ordered a hotter computer right from Mopar Performance Parts. No warranty issues, nothing like that. Sure would be nice if Ford offered something similar.

I think we're all giving them a chance to make the change from Rick to whoever takes his place...but Rick was super when it came to customer service and treated all (of us) like we were his only customers. So Rick was top shelf in our book, and it's going to be tough to find someone that was as customer oriented as him.

Turnaround isn't that quick anymore.. I emailed them my strategy code, s/n, etc. on friday and haven't heard back from them yet. Called them yesterday and was told there's no way they can give me an ETA and I'll get it when I get it. Hopefully I get it sometime today so I can finally install these downpipes that have been sitting in my trunk for a week lol

I emailed Torrie my strategy codes and I got the tune files back in about 10 minutes. He's really fast at getting the tunes back so far for me. Also his customer service has been top notch so far with regards to his prompt communication. He must have it going straight to his phone because his responses are a little short at times, but I can't complain because he tells me what I need to know! :)

On my MKS, the LMS tune also activated the "Grade Assist" feature in our transmission. Search around a bit and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's not like finding a pot of gold or an extra 75hp, but it does give the shifting schedule a bit more edge than the typical MKS buyer seeks.

On my MKS' date=' the LMS tune also activated the "Grade Assist" feature in our transmission. Search around a bit and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's not like finding a pot of gold or an extra 75hp, but it does give the shifting schedule a bit more edge than the typical MKS buyer seeks.[/quote']

GPfarrell, are you saying that when you move the lever to "M," your transmission shifts to 5th? Mine doesn't do that....unless it is already in 5th. If I am cruising along in drive and the tranmission is in 6th, moving the lever to "M" puts it in manual mode and the "6" lights up on the dash. I thought the grade assist was only on the 2009 models.

• 2 weeks later...