Ecoboost Owner Forums

To Tune or not to Tune

Im sure this has been asked 10,000 times, but I want a more direct/personable answer :) My 2013 PP SHO just hit 3K miles, had it 2 months, 90% of the miles were a trip to Florida I drove it to break it in so to speak. I have the Airaid intake, SQV BOV, custom exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers and the rest of the suspension upgrades, etc. Is it too soon to get the tune? Will I completely screw up my warranty? Seems like a rhetorical question, but I need a voice of reason. A large part of me can't wait to tune, car is fantastic, but I miss the more responsive throttle control I had before on the C55. Im open to suggestions, I had the $599 tuner in the cart ready to hit send this morning and I made myself pause so I could discuss with the board.

I would most definitely get the tune now. I really cannot see a down-side. It is not like the tune turns the engine into a fragile hand grenade or anything. The vast majority of warranty issues are more likely to be around issues other than the powertrain (body, brakes, suspension, electronics, etc.) so the tune would have no effect on those things. If the dealer needed to reflash the PCM for some reason, you would just return it to stock before taking it in.

The tunes, no matter which vendor you choose, have proven themselves to be very reliable.

In fact, LMS still has had ZERO failures to date.

The only person you're depriving by not hitting the send button, is yourself.

Enjoy that hidden power, or not. Entirely up to you.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I waited to tune mine until 2500 miles (I was like a kid before Christmas, the wait was killing me!), just to make sure there were no "new car bugs" that the dealer needed to take care of. If there is an engine problem and they detect that your car was tuned there will be an issue with the warranty, even without a tune they can void the warranty if they detect you have abused the car. No one on the the forum has had an issue with the tunes, just program it back to stock before going to the dealer.

As for when to tune, that's up to you. If you want more peace of mind about warranty issues, go to 5000 or wherever you "feel" safe. I like the tune and am glad that I did it.

You've already lost (potentially) your power train warranty by the add ons already installed...so no reason not to do the tune.

As was discussed in an earlier post on the matter, Ford has a TSB they send to all their dealerships directing their technicians to look for CAIs, Tunes, exhaust mods that remove CATs, etc.

Obviously the tech has to determine the part caused the problem, but who has the money to fight it if they decide to be jerks?

So in closing, no reason to not do the tune since you are already in position to be denied warranty.

My 2013 had 7000 miles on it before I tuned it... But that is because I got a demo with 6000 miles on it. But I would wait 5000 miles to be honest, just to make sure there aren't any new car bugs. That means in July, you should be ready for it... You can always order it now and it will be ready whenever you are ready for it. Enjoy!

I was really concerned about getting the LMS tunes, I really couldn't conceive that a tune would make that much difference in performance, especially because I had a tuner before and it improved performance, but not like the guys here were talking. I waited 3K miles and then pulled the trigger. What they were saying was true, I can't imagine the car without a tune, I've never had a performance product improve performance like the LMS tune did...I don't know if I could imagine driving the car with the stock setting any more. And as bdp stated earlier, LMS has proven their tunes to be safe, so if you really want to enjoy the car, I won't wait.

Yes!

I have plans of taking the plunge. Only a matter of time. Trying to do things on a list of priority.

Need the big brake kit first then at same time the Rims cus the stockers will not fit with big brake setup. I want to be able to stop this beast.

Then exhaust and tune.

​Hell yes I'm jealous of the ones that have theirs already!...

:)

This is kind of a back door encouragement but it should help in any event. I'm on a short vacation in Maine (91 octane country) now and in anticipation of this octane shortage I loaded stage 3 just before heading out. Just before loading stage 3 my car seemed to be running unusually well. I registered a particularly high pulse of boost registering 12.75 lbs. during a quick partial throttle blast. Made it hard to remove the stage 4+ I have been running for over a year now. My surprise was how slow the car seems with stage 3. Very different personality. As soon as I get back home and get the 93 octane back in the tank the 4+ is back in there ASAP. I can't wait to get the 4+ personality I'm used to back.

Whats the process for flashing the ECU? Plug the unit into the OBD2 port and select the tune?

As for the dealership knowing...If its anything like the check engine light, I'd assume that if you drive it for a couple hundred miles or so, they won't be able to tell.

I discovered this when my Finance's Escape had an issue with the capless fuel system. I cleared the Check engine light and they said oh did you have your car worked on at the Inspection station? She had drive the car a couple weeks for it not to show up...but the light came on. Had to spend $500 to get it fixed at the dealership.

Very high level from what I've read: Put the car in accessory mode (hold start button for 3 secs), plug in the box, send them the code for your vehicle, they send back the programs tied to your vehicle code (forgot name) and then you follow the same process but the mycalibr80r box guides you along...