Ecoboost Owner Forums

Top Speed?

So maybe this has been discussed before, but I'm curious about what speed these cut out at? I hit 140 in mine while I was home last week, but I let off the gas at that point. Will it go much higher than that?

I was really surprised it got to 140 because I thought I had read something that said they stop at the same point the regular Taurus' which is 117.

Mine is a 2013 SHO with PP, no tune or anything. I'm also curious what some of you guys with a tune can get up to?

Thanks.

I thought the 2010-2012 were limited at around 130mph (210km/h)... I pushed it until 130-135mph a few times, but while tuned, so no speed limiter anymore... The car was still in 4th gear about to change to 5th and had plenty of juice left. My guess is that with my current setup I could reach about 175mph... I will probably find a «safe» place to try it... These runs were done at the drag strip but I need to hit the brakes after I reach 130-135mph because the deceleration distance is not enough... One thing I noticed recently is that my hood is vibrating/shaking a lot when I go over 95mph. I looked and everything seems solid and in place... I tried adjusting the two rubber cylinder in front of the hood to make it close firmer, but it didn't change nothing... Anyone else has experienced that too? Any solution?

Thanks

One thing I noticed recently is that my hood is vibrating/shaking a lot when I go over 95mph.

I looked and everything seems solid and in place... I tried adjusting the two rubber cylinder in front of the hood to make it close firmer, but it didn't change nothing.

Anyone else has experienced that too?

Any solution?

YES!

Funny you mentioned that Steve. I had a similar experience, albeit in the solid three digits on the speedo.

Hood shook up and down with some degree of, how shall I put this? "Uncomfortableness"?

I attributed it to a few things.

1. I have all of my plastic under belly pans removed (for purposes of cooling).

2. I have the engine hood vents / heat extractors installed

3. The recent spell of hot weather (consistent, back to back days of 100+ degrees) fatigued and/or made the sheet metal "soft" if you will.

So, I think that what was happening was that due to the covers being removed, as well as the heat extractors being in place, that more air was able to be "pushed" through the motor, from the bottom, and then vertically, out of the vents, which contributed to the experience.

The sheet metal across the hood obviously has been compromised due to the heat extractor install, but the extremely hot, record setting temps in the triple digits I'm sure made that metal softer and/or more malleable.

I am considering replacing those under belly pans, but also have, in a very preliminary manner, begun researching various hood pins, as I feel this may provide me with some degree of assurity when it comes to pushing my SHO in/towards the upper end of the speedometer.

Here's a couple of links I've found thus far that may be useful Steve......

http://www.jegs.com/c/Hood-Mounting-and-Installation-Components/11969/10002/-1?sendroicid=bbef8492-2d00-41d6-b158-38db0de2603c&sendroiad=3824112851&sendroikwd=hood+pins&gclid=CL3zm9Pn1rACFYMKKgod1XYbzw

http://www.eddiemotorsports.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=27016&c=404

No clue on top speed.....

However I can tell you it exceeds what you've posted (and it can maintain that).

Don't ask me how I know. :spy:

:bolt:

Interesting, very interesting. I know I have only have mine to an indicated 115 mph. I am not sure that above 100 mph that the speedometer is very reliable. At the speeds were are talking aerodynamics really come into play and I would have a hard time believing that the SHO could do a true 150 mph...even the super slick supercars get very hard to push past the 160-175 mph barrier, and most of them are a lot slicker and carry more horsepower and less weight then we do. That being said, I don't think I would attempt that type of speed on a highway...the silly things I see drivers do on a daily basis makes me sure that I would not want to be traveling at those speeds with the kind of drivers we have here in Pennsylvania, I daily see things that others do that scare me at 60 mph, let alone 125!!!

I can't say I noticed the hood vibrating or anything, but I wasn't really watching the hood too much. I'm sure if I would have looked, it would have freaked me out. At those speeds there's quite a bit of airflow over that hood and I'm sure it just wants to shoot up.

I would like to take it out sometime and hook up my GPS to see what speeds it can reach, but at the same time I'm kind afraid of something happening to my car.

I wish it wasn't so hot when I was home last week. It definitely felt a little more sluggish than usual. Still an absolute blast to drive though. I don't think I'll ever get tired from getting compliments from friends, family and total strangers. :RpS_biggrin:

When I was younger, my dad had a Cadillac STS 1994 (and a 1997 after). For the time, that car was a total bomb with its V8 300 hp (the Mustang GT had 225). It was totally stock and I pushed it until 160 mph... It was surely close to its limit, so 162-163mph was probably its top speed. So, if the Cadillac STS of almost 20 years ago, with 300hp and weighting close to 4000lbs could reach 160mph+, I am convinced that the stock SHO can at least reach that speed. Now that is with 365hp. With Livernois tune, meth, custom exhaust and HR spring, I think that 175mph is most likely reachable... There is just that hood thing that would scare me, beside, the car is very heavy and big, so it would not be scary to reach those high speeds. By chance we don't have a mile acceleration track nearby because I would certainly have all the answers for you guys! lol

Our cars maybe capable of reaching 175mph. But I strongly advise not to try, the cars brakes are weak, and at 175mph the would be useless in a matter of seconds also even with the addition of of H&R'S springs the suspension isn't up to the task either. At that those speeds a slight dip in the road and you would be airborne. Just cause can doesn't mean it should.

Found this post on the SHO forum from last year. Also had a post from Rick in same thread saying there may have been a 168 in Germany, could be same guy as post below, hopefully Rick will get on and straighten me out on this.

navygse1 is unknown at this point

Greetings Fellow ECO Boosters!

With the Stage 3 installed, 162mph (GPS!) was where it seemed to hit a wall, but the tranny started hunting between 5th and 6th gear. I thought maybe the turbos were tapped out or possibly the wind resistance of my "Tank" was keeping it limited. Had the Stage 4+ only in a short while before the winter closed in and I reverted back to stock, will let you know how it works in the spring (after a 170 degree stat install!). Both stages pull really hard and only shows signs of relenting slightly around 150mph. I was amazed at how smooth and crisp the 4+ is, even with TQ MGMT!

I am old school and I like the way stage 3 hits solid when crushing through the gears, but the 4+ is extremely impressive, smooth and "Butt Dyno Approved!" with no complaints from the wife...after all it IS her car and she drives it every day.

I still scratch my head on you guys claiming 24+ mpg. I am lucky if I see 17mpg (wife driving of course!) Not that I am complaining, I love every bit of the car and since the pedal is stuck to the floor when I drive AND I have the PP with 3.16 gearing, can't really say anything bad about our medium sized battle wagon.

Happy Holidays! Safe travels and watch those speed traps.

Mike

Our cars maybe capable of reaching 175mph. But I strongly advise not to try' date=' the cars brakes are weak, and at 175mph the would be useless in a matter of seconds also even with the addition of of H&R'S springs the suspension is up to the task either. At that those speeds a slight dip in the road and you would be airborne. Just cause can doesn't mean it should.[/quote']

I couldn't agree more... not to be tried. But just talking, 175mph top speed with current mods is a good guess...

I know the stock 06+ Impala SS could hit 154 with 303 HP ( I did not do it, but somebody else did, verified) . I traded an 09 SS for my MKS, and the MKS is definitely faster, more aerodynamic, and more solid. I think 160-175 is a fair guess.

I know the stock 06+ Impala SS could hit 154 with 303 HP ( I did not do it' date=' but somebody else did, verified) . I traded an 09 SS for my MKS, and the MKS is definitely faster, more aerodynamic, and more solid. I think 160-175 is a fair guess.[/quote']

I can believe that is true, depending on gearing of the car, but if is it from 150 up that it becomes harder to move all that air. I am not saying it isn't possible but if the speed we are talking here is indicated speedometer speeds, it probably isn't the true speed. Especially after watching some super car shows where the big guys (Ferr, Lambo, and Porchse) were all indicating speeds of 200+ on the speedos but the actual speeds were only in the 185 range. Getting past 160 is no small feat.

Interesting points ^^. I am in all honestly doing nothing more than guessing' date=' without a whole heck of a lot of analysis or technical know how. LOL.[/quote']

Yeah, me too. I just know how hard it is to get true speeds when it gets up in triple digits. I also know how hard it is to make a car go fast in the 1/4 mile...that's from experience. I think that's why I am completely in awe of how fast our cars are going. I the muscle car era, it wasn't easy to get a car to run in the low 13's high 12's. It took a lot of $$$ and a good driver to get a car that fast.

I am not a pro for sure, but from experience and looking at the maths :

Top speed of 1994 Cadillac STS was 160mph+. Curb weight is 3893lbs, 300hp;295tq. Cd: 0.33

SHO : Top speed = ?. Curb weight is 4388lbs, 365hp and 350tq. Cd: 0.32

So, the better cd and the extra power (+65hp and +55tq) should compensate for the extra 500lbs of weight.

Now, with H&R springs, the Cd is most likely improved.

And, with LMS stage4+, Airaid, custom exhaust and methanol injection, the power is now around 500hp and 520tq. I don't know exactly the numbers, but if a stock SHO is at least capable of matching the top speed of a 1994 sedan with less power, I would really believe that the extra 150hp and 170tq can manage to give an extra 15mph at top speed, no? One thing I tried is pushing it until close to 135mph and I can assure you that the car reaches it effortless, you can see my videos on youtube under steve142857, videos accelerating until 200km/h in about 16 seconds...

But as mentioned, nobody should try, as it would be dangerous : brakes, tires, etc.

Cheers!

BTW, here are the factors influencing top speed :

Weight of vehicle.

Aerodynamics of vehicle.

Horsepower & torque of engine.

Gearing of vehicle.

Headwind or tailwind.

Elevation above sea level.

Type of fuel used.

Terrain.

Tires.

Outside temperature.

Weather.

A lot of folks struggle to understand why there seems to be so little difference between 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile speeds, but that gets in to just how much power is required to move all that air at high speeds. It's not all that difficult for a car to get up to some impressive speeds in 1/8 mile, but there is surprisingly little gain in twice that distance. Heck, many of the super slick, ultra high power supercars hit over 1/2 their top speed in 1/4 mile but have difficulty reaching top speed in the mile (4 times the distance).

-Rod

A lot of folks struggle to understand why there seems to be so little difference between 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile speeds, but that gets in to just how much power is required to move all that air at high speeds. It's not all that difficult for a car to get up to some impressive speeds in 1/8 mile, but there is surprisingly little gain in twice that distance. Heck, many of the super slick, ultra high power supercars hit over 1/2 their top speed in 1/4 mile but have difficulty reaching top speed in the mile (4 times the distance).

-Rod

Yes and no...

If I take my car for example, I finish the 1/8 mile at about 90 mph and the 1/4 at about 113mph... But, I complete the first half in 8 seconds and the second half in 4.x seconds (1/4 mile in 12.x sec.). So, my point is that yes it is harder to accelerate in the second portion of the 1/4 mile, but there is also about half the time less in that second portion. So, my car does 0-90mph in 8.0 seconds and 90-113mph in 4.5 seconds. Actually, it does 90-125mph in 8.0 seconds.

So, it is not just a matter of distance, but also of time. It is normal that if you take half the time to do the second half of the 1/4 mile that your car cannot replicate the acceleration of the first half. But with the same 8.0 seconds, I only manage to add an extra 35mph instead of 90mph... there is that air hitting the car making it hard to reach high speeds.

• 2 weeks later...
I can report to the group that running stock, without a tune, the car is held by the computer at 130. It jumped right to 130 with no problem, would cruise there, but, additional gas request was refused.

:car:

But is it a true 130 or an indicated 130? Most speedometers are not very accurate in those speed ranges.

Archived