Ecoboost Owner Forums

Supercharged SHO?

For the mechanical guru's on the site...why isn't a supercharger put in the SHO? That would be sweet! As I believe the Audi line has a supercharger. I like the look of the new Audi A7, but IMO the SHO is a much nicer car for about 30k less!

Might be because it was tried in the Thunderbird Super Coupe and although it was a nice car, it didn't make near the horsepower and torque of the new SHO engine. I think the fact that the supercharger takes power away from the engine to power it, might be the reason the turbos were chosen.

The old 3.8L did pretty good honestly, It was the MN12 chassis being far too heavy was the problem. Go back a lil further with the turbo coupe, or the SVO mustang and GT mustang. all Turbo 4s. And were praised. By comparison, It all had to do with the lighter FOX chassis.

I'll agree with the drag that the SC has. I garuntee they can get that kind of power with a SC 3.5L and then some.

Take away 20hp the .2L the Mustang and Edge sport have (300HP) over a base 3.5L (280HP)

add this in a taurus application if possible. I think that a nice twin screw would be better.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product/PC-1FT212-SCI/2011-2012-Mustang-V6-Procharger-Supercharger-Kit.html

And your at 450HP.

The old 3.8L did pretty good honestly, It was the MN12 chassis being far too heavy was the problem. Go back a lil further with the turbo coupe, or the SVO mustang and GT mustang. all Turbo 4s. And were praised. By comparison, It all had to do with the lighter FOX chassis.

I'll agree with the drag that the SC has. I garuntee they can get that kind of power with a SC 3.5L and then some.

Take away 20hp the .2L the Mustang and Edge sport have (300HP) over a base 3.5L (280HP)

add this in a taurus application if possible. I think that a nice twin screw would be better.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product/PC-1FT212-SCI/2011-2012-Mustang-V6-Procharger-Supercharger-Kit.html

And your at 450HP.

But not going to be quiet... Got the whole NVH thing...

SC are noisy and have a lag. Twin turbo is silent and no lag. I believe it addresses more the targeted potential buyers of SHO. In terms of power, I believe they could be comparable. As the example of the A7, it produces 333hp with its V6 3.0L SC (even though it says V6T... go figure?). I think Audi's V6 3.2 L produces 265hp. So, their SC adds roughly 35%. So, a V6 3.5L SC would produce roughly 385hp if we extend based on Audi's engines. But again, would be with a lag and more noisy...

But hey, I don't know much about mechanics, just good with numbers and at driving cars. lol! Now just for talking, imagine a V8 Twin turbo ecoboost! That would kill all purpose of their other engines! Another thought... my sales rep at my Ford dealership told me that a V6 Ecoboost would soon be in the Ford Edge... I didn't know that... interesting!

Steve, I think you might be incorrect, the advantage of the supercharger is that fact that there is no lag but with a turbo there is turbo lag. Although, in our cars the lag is very minimum...probably the least amount of lag of any turbocharged car that I have driven.

Steve' date=' I think you might be incorrect, the advantage of the supercharger is that fact that there is no lag but with a turbo there is turbo lag. Although, in our cars the lag is very minimum...probably the least amount of lag of any turbocharged car that I have driven.[/quote']

Maybe, as I said, I am no mechanical guy... However, FMC opted for two small turbos in order to avoid the lag of a larger single turbo... But I thought SC had a lag... One thing for sure, they are surely noisy with their whining sound. Thanks for clarification.

But not going to be quiet... Got the whole NVH thing...

That never crossed my mind with the hairdryer SC and it should of, My buddys 347cu in Mustang with a Vortech should of reminded me. But that link was more "you can do it" then "Do it". Our GT500 was pretty quiet (from an induction stand point) when it was stock with its roots blower. I couldn't stand it. Didnt take too long to get the C&L and tune from Evolution LOL.

Maybe' date=' as I said, I am no mechanical guy... However, FMC opted for two small turbos in order to avoid the lag of a larger single turbo... But I thought SC had a lag... One thing for sure, they are surely noisy with their whining sound. Thanks for clarification.[/quote']

Depends on what type of SC you use. Roots style blowers have minimal lag. I think a turbo system avoids adding anything to the accessory drive system, thus avoiding additional loss of HP and fuel efficiency. The dual turbo setup of the 3.5 has minimal lag as well. I think it just boils down to efficiency...

Now just for talking' date=' imagine a V8 Twin turbo ecoboost! That would kill all purpose of their other engines! Another thought... my sales rep at my Ford dealership told me that a V6 Ecoboost would soon be in the Ford Edge... I didn't know that... interesting![/quote']

I think that your sales rep was thinking of the I-4 Ecoboost Edge. The Explorer recieved the 3.5L Eco. To the best of my knowledge from my friends in the know. The chassis that currently underpins the Edge can't handle the SHO engine yet.

There are rumors of a EcoBoost Coyote running around.. (Coyote is the code name for the new 5.0)

Depends on what type of SC you use. Roots style blowers have minimal lag. I think a turbo system avoids adding anything to the accessory drive system' date=' thus avoiding additional loss of HP and fuel efficiency. The dual turbo setup of the 3.5 has minimal lag as well. I think it just boils down to efficiency...[/quote']

Never really thought of anything but the roots type SC.....only because it is the one that crosses my mind since it is the one I am most familiar with since I have seen it used on the funny car I crewed with (noise of the SC was never much concern with that! lol), then on the Thunderbird SC Coupe, F-150 Lightning, and of course the GT-500, and the Ford GT...so Ford does have plenty of experience with roots type SC, so I think you have hit the nail on the head...no drag on the accessory drive of the V-6 and the efficiency has got to be better for the 3.5 V-6.

While the 3.5L Eco should fit in the Explorer, I don't believe they are selling them that way (at least not yet). The Explorer with EcoBoost is the 4 cylinder.

-Rod

Your right, It won't be out til this fall (I wasn't sure about the JOB1 date). Its the Explorer Sport. Explorer will have two EcoBoost options, Where the Edge gets only one.

For the mechanical guru's on the site...why isn't a supercharger put in the SHO? That would be sweet! As I believe the Audi line has a supercharger. I like the look of the new Audi A7' date=' but IMO the SHO is a much nicer car for about 30k less![/quote']

One reason and one reason only gas milage. V8 hp from a V6 gas was a good by-product not a goal for us gearhead.

As someone who has been heavily involved with the MN12 community, I guarantee you could get just as much power from an SC'd Eco setup. The comparison to the old Tbird SC engine is apples to oranges, in that the 3.8 it was built on was a pushrod engine with none of the new technology you find under our hoods, plus, the M90 is hardly a large blower. In it's day, it still put out ~210hp and ~300+ lb/ft. The SC was plagued by other issues, namely the infamous head gasket issues caused by poor head design. Also, I know from a reliable source, that in 1989 when the SC came out and won the MT Car of the Year, the engineers were repremanded by Ford because it out-performed the Mustang. I know of several guys running high 10's or low 11's and putting down 400-500+ on the little pushrod 3.8 in street driven cars.

For the mechanical guru's on the site...why isn't a supercharger put in the SHO? That would be sweet! As I believe the Audi line has a supercharger. I like the look of the new Audi A7' date=' but IMO the SHO is a much nicer car for about 30k less![/quote']

One reason is boost on a super charger is rpm controlled. Meaning having rev engine faster to achieve boost. Another words you wouldn't hitting peak boost right off the line as you do now. But basically they are both the same, but there advantages and disadvantages in either set up.

Your right' date=' It won't be out til this fall (I wasn't sure about the JOB1 date). Its the Explorer Sport. Explorer will have two EcoBoost options, Where the Edge gets only one.[/quote']

A fella I know has an EB Explorer Sport (3.5) on order so they are currently being built.

A fella I know has an EB Explorer Sport (3.5) on order so they are currently being built.

Ford is building Focus STs already to. You just won't see one on a dealer lot or someones personal possession/purchase. Order banks open up 3 months prior to JOB1. ;)

(I work for Ford BTW)

• 4 weeks later...

Some misconceptions in this topic. You get lag from a turbo, not a supercharger. Supercharged boost comes directly off the crank RPM and is instantaneously pumped into the intake. It is there all the time but is bypassed based on throttle position. Initial stab at wot will yield max boost. In my gt500, that equates to 17 psi. Your turbocharged application is exhaust dependent. Meaning you have to wait till the engine completes its combustion cycle before you can make boost. That's where lag comes in. Advantage of a turbo setup is the fact that you can make more boost because you are not relying purely on engine rpm. To make a lot of boost with a blower, you need to me making a good amount of power to do it. Lots of parasitic loss the bigger you go in blower size. Compound boost is awesome. Ive considered a hellion setup for my gt500.

Archived