Ecoboost Owner Forums

Weird noise from front end after lowering, Help!

Ok Hopefully someone has some insight, as I would hate to take it to the dealer right after I lowered the car with a new noise. So finally had some nice weather today and while parking the car in the garage (front windows down) I noticed what could only be described as a clicking (tinkle might be more accurate) like the sound a hot car makes while cooling engine off. Only when turning the wheels front side to side only really happens once when changing direction of the steering wheel. It could have been there before as I can't hear it when with the windows closed. But you can definitely hear it on the outside of the car. I searched around the forum and couldn't find anything similar. Any help would be great! I have the H&R springs installed.

Oh one more thing I can't feel anything through the car or the wheel. Just the sound.

Thanks!

Darrell is correct. I developed what I would term to be more of a creaking noise, rather than clunking, as described here by the OP in this thread.

But I went and had a check, and the inner tie rod, although not terribly bad, I did end up opting to get it replaced.

Thanks Guys, I will have the tie rods checked car goes in for service on Wed but I'm not sure the car has only 14k km on it. I decided to take the front wheels back off the car and have a look at everything just to be sure. Everything looked good and tight. Interesting point to note that it's coming from both front wheels. Same type of sound both sides and they don't happen at the same time. Could the new springs in the struts be causing this "tinkle" as the wheels shift back and forth? I'm just throwing this out there as the timing is uncanny. And on both sides? What the heck?

Weird noise from front end Help!

I also posted this in the Chassis and Suspension mods, sorry for the double post but I am not completely sold on this having to do with the new springs.

However this is a click and maybe someone has heard this before. Please see the posts below.

Ok so I went back over everything tonight. I pulled out the struts and double checked everything reassembled and the noise is still there I have uploaded a video to YouTube to illustrate. I am at a loss, I was so happy with the mods so far and then this happens. Any help you guys could offer would be great! BTW the noise also happens over bumps although not as noticeable as the side to side with the steering wheel. One last question could this have been something done after the alignment I honestly can't remember it doing this right after I installed the new springs, and I checked for weird noises after the install.

In the video you can clearly hear both wheels clicking back and forth as the wheels move.

Thanks Guys!

A stethoscope (or just a metal pipe) held against various places while someone else turns the wheels could help pinpoint it. It really does not sound like inner tie rods to me but I will defer to those who have had to replace them.

I agree..not the same noise I had with my tie rods.

Get a rubber hose, take the wheel off. have somebody move the wheel back and forth, while you have one end of the hose to your ear, and the other end you move it around to different parts of the suspension until it gets really loud. I use this to find all types of quite noises, or noises that reflect and cant pin point them.

I would almost try twisting the spring back and forth on the strut and see if it makes the sound too.

Ok so an update, btw thanks to all you guys for the helpful tips and comments! So The car came back from the dealer today and the corrected the alignment with out the camber bolts and gave me the printout to prove it. Great! However my "tinkle" was still there. The tech made a observation that sometimes he has heard the same sound when installing new springs and that it may go away over time. I'm not sure if I totally buy that one. I did get my hands on a stethoscope and with the help of a friend we have been able to pinpoint the sound & vibration as being most intense on the spring itself. Which I was not expecting, that said I have confirmed that the spring is installed correctly with the guys from H&R (they have been great with support so far BTW) So a few questions, could I have a bad set of springs? I am sure that the spring is seated correctly on the bottom. But the top rubber isolator is there an orientation? There does not seem to be any markings on the isolator itself. Only for the mount to the body (which is correct as per H&R, Ford and our sticky here). Any ideas would be great as it's kinda driving me nuts!

Thanks

I haven't looked if you can on our cars, but I would take the wheel off but put the weight of the suspension back down on a jack stand. So the weight of the car is on the suspension like the wheel was still there instead of it hanging down while jacked from a jack point. It would be a lot easier to find the source with the wheel out of the way. Have you jacked up from the front center with both wheels off the ground? Is it still there with the suspension unloaded?

I haven't looked if you can on our cars' date=' but I would take the wheel off but put the weight of the suspension back down on a jack stand. So the weight of the car is on the suspension like the wheel was still there instead of it hanging down while jacked from a jack point. It would be a lot easier to find the source with the wheel out of the way. Have you jacked up from the front center with both wheels off the ground? Is it still there with the suspension unloaded?[/quote']

Thanks, done all of that and unless the wheels are on the ground I cannot duplicate the noise. I can sometimes by reaching under the car andnby pulling on the spring sometimes cause the noise? I did get an idea last night as I couldn't sleep. When I installed the springs I noticed that the barings were really dirty. I did clean the as best I could and lubed them. What if there is still debris in the barings? This temporary binding could it cause the noise?

You said both wheels don't do it at the same time but does it do it in different positions? Like in the vid the wheel is straight. But if you turn it fully to one direction then move the wheel slightly back and forth does it to it there?

All nuts all torqued properly? Studs fully seated in the hub?

^ everything is tight, triple checked. The left and right sides make the sound indipendant of each other. And the sound will occure more than once if you continue to turn the wheels in one direction or the other. The sweet spot for the noise seems to be on center though.

Thanks

Well another shop this afternoon and the tech spent nearly 30 min with a scope trying to figure out where the noise is coming from. And guess what he was baffled also. My last item is that I have ordered new upper mounts (barrings too as it's one piece) to replace the old ones. This is a long shot but when I did the swap they were pretty dirty and were binding a bit. If that doesn't work I'll put the stock springs back in. If that does not fix it I will have definitive proof that the dealer must have done something to the front end during the alignment and I will drop the car off and have them fix it. I'll Keep you guys posted.

I've noticed a clicking noise (same as in the video ShoBoat posted on this thread) coming from the front end when I turn the wheel from side to side, not very loud but I can hear it in my garage with the windows down. Nothing has been done to suspension or steering since I got it and everything seems fine in terms of steering and handling. This is my first car equipped with EPS so I've been wondering if this is normal. I'll mention it when I take my car in for an oil change and see what they say.

I've noticed a clicking noise (same as in the video ShoBoat posted on this thread) coming from the front end when I turn the wheel from side to side' date=' not very loud but I can hear it in my garage with the windows down. Nothing has been done to suspension or steering since I got it and everything seems fine in terms of steering and handling. This is my first car equipped with EPS so I've been wondering if this is normal. I'll mention it when I take my car in for an oil change and see what they say.[/quote']

I would say no it's not normal and take it to the dealer. I would be interested in knowing what is wrong with yours.