Ecoboost Owner Forums

Here's one for ya

As I recall' date=' that on another of the Forums, the fuse pulling, and then re-install of the modded tune helped with the EB Engine. Perhaps that would re-set everything. Worth a try...[/quote']

What do you mean? Pull what fuse, and then reload the tune???? Which tune the stock tune or stage 4+. I think the dyno will also capture the boost and such. Does anyone know what the stock boost is???? Also my friend has a 2009 SJO, he is going to bring to dyno also to see what he is at. His is running the same as everyone elses....Compare.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread had me thinking. My SHO has seemed a bit sluggish the past couple of weeks and the fuel economy has dropped as well. Rather than pulling the tune out I decided just to use my scan tool to reset the KAM. That seems to have done the trick. The car seems much more responsive off the line and the transmission shifts are much better. My car only has 7100 miles on the odometer. I hope I don't need to do this every 7000 miles to maintain the fun factor....

-Rod

I was unfamiliar... Turns out it is Keep Alive Memory! Found this

http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/engine-drivetrain/109-keep-alive-random-access-memory-ram.html

So, for those people who don't possess that illustrious scan tool device, is it accurate to say that by disconnecting the negative cable only (as the poster in that forum link you provided states) for at least 15min, will that truly have the same effect of resetting the KAM tables as the scan tool device?

Just curious.

I was unfamiliar... Turns out it is Keep Alive Memory! Found this

http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/engine-drivetrain/109-keep-alive-random-access-memory-ram.html

Thanks scrming --- I understand now.

So, for those people who don't possess that illustrious scan tool device, is it accurate to say that by disconnecting the negative cable only (as the poster in that forum link you provided states) for at least 15min, will that truly have the same effect of resetting the KAM tables as the scan tool device?

Just curious.

I would say so Mike, but the scan tool would target just the KAM whereas the battery disconnect would target a few other memorized functions.

C.

I do have a little device that you plug into on of the aux or lighter and it has a 9 volt battery connected to it. Supposedly it will keep all the memory settings intact, if you disconnect the battery. I realize that you want the memory to reset, but this device is supposed to save memory in case you are doing something that requires disconnecting the battery...I don't know if it works, I have not had to use it yet.

I disconnect the batteries in both my G8's for 6 mo a year, when in storage. NO issues. Only the clock needs re-setting. Also have discharged my Flex battery to the point it was totally dead. Only Clock needed re-setting.

This does work like pulling the correct fuse...of which I have no idea. Guess I could get my Electrical manual out, and probably figure it out... but disconnecting battery is easier!

I do have a little device that you plug into on of the aux or lighter and it has a 9 volt battery connected to it. Supposedly it will keep all the memory settings intact' date=' if you disconnect the battery. I realize that you want the memory to reset, but this device is supposed to save memory in case you are doing something that requires disconnecting the battery...I don't know if it works, I have not had to use it yet.[/quote']

The downside to these is you pretty much need to pull the fuses for the interior lights, fuel pump, etc. before disconnecting the battery, otherwise when you open the door the interior light will try to drain that 9V battery in a hurry since it would be effectively feeding everything the car battery would normally feed. You also want to make sure the one you use has a diode in it so that when the car battery is connected it doesn't try to equalize with the 9V battery and possibly blow the 9V battery up. We had one of these many years ago at my dad's auto repair shop (about 20 years ago now, before there were so many electronics in cars) and found it was just easier to write down the radio stations in memory and disconnect the battery, then reprogram the stations when we were done.

-Rod

SHO Rod, can you explain what scan tool you used to reset and what is KAM?

Thanks

C.

As mentioned by others, KAM is Keep Alive Memory. The scan tool I use is an Autel MaxiDas DS708 (SO MUCH better than my prior OTC Genisys). By resetting the KAM it did not reset my fuel economy display, oil life counter, etc. I'm not sure if "clearing" the diagnostic codes would have reset those or not, but certainly pulling the battery cable would likely have at least reset the fuel economy display. The radio stations are apparently stored in non-volatile memory, and with the Nav system my clock is set off the GPS time, so disconnecting the battery would not cause issues with the stations or clock.

I've not yet found a clear consensus on if disconnecting the battery in a modern OBD-II vehicle will truly clear diagnostic codes and KAM. Several folks claim it does, I've read (somewhere) that it does not, and I've always had a scan tool so I've not had a reason to try disconnecting the battery just to find out.

-Rod

Even the factory service manual isn't clear on if a battery disconnect will reliably work. This is taken from the FSM for the 2011 Taurus:

-----------

Resetting The Keep Alive Memory (KAM)

Description

Resetting the KAM returns the powertrain control module (PCM) memory to its default setting. Adaptive learning contents such as adaptive airflow, idle speed, refueling event, and fuel trim are included. Clearing the continuous diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) and resetting the emission monitors information in the PCM, is part of a KAM reset. Refer to Clear The Continuous Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) And Reset The Emission Monitors Information In The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) in this section. Both can be useful in post-repair testing.

After the KAM has been reset, the vehicle may exhibit certain driveability concerns. It is necessary to allow the engine to idle at normal operating temperature with the A/C off for 2 minutes. Then drive the vehicle to allow the PCM to learn the values for optimum driveability and performance.

This function may not be supported by all scan tools. Refer to the scan tool manufacturer's instruction manual.

If an error message is received or the scan tool does not support this function, disconnecting the battery ground cable for a minimum of 5 minutes may be used as an alternative procedure on some vehicles.

-----------

-Rod

As mentioned by others, KAM is Keep Alive Memory. The scan tool I use is an Autel MaxiDas DS708 (SO MUCH better than my prior OTC Genisys). By resetting the KAM it did not reset my fuel economy display, oil life counter, etc. I'm not sure if "clearing" the diagnostic codes would have reset those or not, but certainly pulling the battery cable would likely have at least reset the fuel economy display. The radio stations are apparently stored in non-volatile memory, and with the Nav system my clock is set off the GPS time, so disconnecting the battery would not cause issues with the stations or clock.

I've not yet found a clear consensus on if disconnecting the battery in a modern OBD-II vehicle will truly clear diagnostic codes and KAM. Several folks claim it does, I've read (somewhere) that it does not, and I've always had a scan tool so I've not had a reason to try disconnecting the battery just to find out.

-Rod

Thanks Rod, I have scan tools but apparently not one like this. I'll find a listing for it and read up on it.

Thanks.

Yikes! I just read up on the Autel MaxiDas DS708 and the price damned near choked me.:yield:

I can see why my basic Innova code-reader doesn't have the same features --- it was a twelfth of the price.

I think I'll stick with the battery disconnect and put up with a few resets occasionally.

Thanks for the info anyway Rod.

C.

Lots of suggestions here, all sound great.

The last resort is to find another dealer. Unfortunately Ford cannot control the dealers and the way they treat their customers. I went through something similar a year ago until I found a great dealer at which the service manager personally owned a SHO. I also found the wiring issue against the engine block and fixed that myself.

Best of luck to you and keep us updated.

found a friend that has a scanner, he will clear the KAM for me, then I'll drive it and have the dyno done. I let you know whats up...Thanks

Well that ship has sailed, his software only goes to 2009...Does the battery thing work????

Apparently it does. I found this:

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl590d.htm

Give it a try and as MarksSho says maybe it's time for a new dealer.

Worth a try.

C.

• 2 weeks later...
again' date=' they are lying... you can go to ANY Ford dealership...[/quote']

I know I can, but according to the rep, you have to go to the purchasing dealer...I know it's a crock, you know it's a crock, but that is what the idiot said. Still like the "if they can't find a problem, there is not a problem, I am closing the claim"! Wow...

Getting dyno'd saturday, we'll see whats up.

I know I can, but according to the rep, you have to go to the purchasing dealer...I know it's a crock, you know it's a crock, but that is what the idiot said. Still like the "if they can't find a problem, there is not a problem, I am closing the claim"! Wow...

Getting dyno'd saturday, we'll see whats up.

Sorry to hear about all your grief... Have you asked for reps names and asked for a supervisor? Curious to see your dyno results

Archived