Ecoboost Owner Forums

Installed An Auxiliary Trans Cooler (04/17/12)....

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally had the aux trans cooler installed at the Ford dealer close to my home. At the same time, I had the 170F thermostat installed and now I am just waiting for the adjusted tune from Rick at LMS. I will upgrade to MyCal instead of the SCT device I have now. This allows Dan to access some tables that aren't even in the SCT device and will allow me to datalog and benefit from a better technology device. So, I should receive the new tuner next week and be able to load up the new tune. So, first comment is that temps seems to be always between 170-180F... But it is only after having driven it last night and this morning.

It took the guy 5 hours to:

Remove/replace front bumper;

Install the aux trans cooler (a bit trickier because of methanol pump in the way. He also shortened the hose of the trans cooler that was a few inches too long. Also he adjusted a few things so that everything looks OEM and clean)

Install the T170F

Change all 6 plugs that were overdue. Changed for Denso ITV22 (one degree cooler than OEM). He adjusted the gap to 30 and made sure they were all perfect.

He did the bleeding of trans fluid etc.

The car runs very very well let me tell you that!

All-in, it was a 5 hours job (at 79$ per hour! ouch!)... So more time than Mike (bpd1151) was indicating, but the job is very well done, so I can't complain. Very happy with the results so far and it'll only be cooler with the adjusted tune with fan settings for 170F thermostat.

He billed you at 5hrs, but i'm sure had it done in less time.

J/K :boink:

Anyhow, you have to keep in mind that you did several other things besides just the installation of the cooler.

Plugs. Thermo. Trans fluid swap out.

Had you done just the cooler, you would've been closer to my projected times.

Glad to hear though that your experiencing similar (lower) temps as I have.

I'm tell'n 'ya, FMC hit it right by not only developing these parts in the 1st place, but also being able to easily retro-fit them onto the '10, '11, & '12 model years.

My Aux Oil Cooler mod is next up & install will hopefully be completed within the next 2 weeks or so.

Yet another cooling aspect added to my SHO that will ensure it's durability and longevity, especially come more tack time :thumb:

Thanks for posting Steve! :yo:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

So I feel like I've been reading for awhile and I am not seeing WHY it is important to be running cooler temps for the transmission. By default, running cooler is usually always a positive, but what exactly do you gain by doing this? I know you posted that you are getting smoother gear changes, but does it give more life to the tranny, etc.? What are the main reasons for adding this mod? Thanks.

I think as I read through the thread I saw that excessive high temps can harden the rubber gaskets/seals which can lead to leaks. Also' date=' as the temps get high, the transmission oil will start to lose some of its lubricating properties which can lead to transmission failures/problems.[/quote']

Cooler is always better....most don't realize how much heat is trapped internally so anything that can help cool and carry some of the heat away from the internal parts is a plus, it will lead to better performance, longer live, and less wear on parts.

As of BDP gauge pod install of a trans temp gauge. He discovered trans temps where running dangerously high, with in 10 degrees of seal damaging temps. If remember his temps where around 220f and at 230f you are damaging seals. I just know prior to installing when trans was hot at low speed 1st to 2nd shift where extremely hard. Felt like I got ass ended. Since I have not experienced. For you have tougher dilemma, I wish I could say for certain on modifying and relocating the radar sensor. I miss not having and was great feature. And I really want to get back working again. I am sure it is possible. In hind sight I should have work modifying the trans cool kit and left the radar sensor alone.

No not as of yet' date=' I have been extremely busy. I but I hope to have it resolved soon.[/quote']

Crash,

I was up at the dealership and was asking some general information about the possible differences between the 2013 and older years. It seems that there is only 1 option for the transcooler so I asked if there is a possible difference with the mounting bracket for the ACC radar. He did say that there is a new part number but couldn't say if it was indeed different.

I was in a little bit of a hurry and he was moving really slow so I didn't both to get any part numbers. Wondering if possibly someone who is in good with their parts guy can look into it to see if the mounting bracket for the 2013 will work on the 2010/11/12 years and clear the area where the transcooler is supposed to sit?

There may be a different part #, which is not uncommon in model year changes (and the actual part itself is the exact same thing).

From the convo I had with a Ford Exec at the Nat'l SHO Convention this summer, there is no current resolution for the issue crash712us (and others with the ACC option) face.

The fact is, is that you cannot order a 2013 PP (which has the aux tranny cooler) in conjunction with the ACC option.

The obstruction of the cooler lines, as it relates to where the ACC sensor is mounted, is the direct problem.

FMC currently has no plans in place to make available BOTH the PP along with the ACC.

So it's doubtful the different part # your theorizing will work.

But hey, wth, nothing wrong with investigating the possibilities I suppose :noidea:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

Archived