Ecoboost Owner Forums

mystery icon instrument cluster system warning

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can also engage at speed or stopped. If you touch a paddle shifter however it is gone..gone..gone and you are back into the normal manual mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same with me, but a quick switch back into "D" and then back into "M" brings it back again!

Same with me' date=' but a quick switch back into "D" and then back into "M" brings it back again![/quote']

No doubt in my mind we have the identical phenom. I also am thinking the most logical explanation at this point is that it is late version stage 4+ induced. The only evidence not fitting this theory is Mike's car which he reports has always had this capability. Evidently we still have much to learn.

Ok' date=' I'll play this game too. 2010, no trunk strap, not sure of build date (how do you find that??), Non-PP, no grade assist before or after stage 4 LMS tune (been running stage 4 for a couple of months now). Has anybody gotten closer to nailing down the difference(s) that result in people having this?[/quote']

If I'm not mis-remembering, one of the early things we thought was a qualifier in who got the mystery grade assist and who did not was the "job 1/job 2" label. Seemed that job 2 (trunk strap) got it and job 1 didn't. That simple explanation did not work all the time though so I'm thinking that early stage 4+ might not have induced the grade assist apparition and only later versions did. So there you have two necessary variables to make one "Mystery Icon".

Sounds good till someone pokes a hole in the theory. I'm crossing my fingers.

I'm thinking that the later version of the Stage 4+ may be the key here, but I have not had a chance to contact Rick yet to see if there were any changes since my tune is one of the earlier 4+ to be installed. And just to throw in another mystery...my car was built 30 Nov. 2009...no icon. BPD's car was built 10 Dec. 2009 and has the icon....

I too can engage stopped or rolling. Factory feature' date=' cannot believe Livernois tune has anything to do with it.[/quote']

:RpS_confused:It does seem strange but several people did not have the feature before they installed the tune and have it now, and there doesn't seem to be anything consistent about who does and who doesn't have it. I do know that I do not seem to have the icon however as stated earlier Mike's car which was built 10 days after mine does have it as well at tss's car which was built almost 3 months before mine!:noidea:

However, let me add that I have only tried to activate it while stopped, I have not tried while rolling, which I will try next time I have the car out.

Here is my theory, parts and manufactures change all the time over the course of a build. Example early ecms may have been tailor to the taurus and on down the ford decided to marry several ecm's together as so they could be used on multiple plate forums. Such as explorer, mks, and taurus, and thru programing they are able to tailor to each individual plate form. And some how thru the tuning process it has turned on this feature. I personally believe this how a lot a features are add to a plate forum, just thru programing that turns on function. Such as on our SHO's we can hold the unlock button for a few seconds to roll down the window, and the MKS can roll it up doing the same thing with hold lock button. Logically if our cars roll them down it certainly has the capability to roll them up. Any how thats just my 2 cents.

Ok' date=' I'll play this game too. 2010, no trunk strap, [b']not sure of build date (how do you find that??)[/b], Non-PP, no grade assist before or after stage 4 LMS tune (been running stage 4 for a couple of months now). Has anybody gotten closer to nailing down the difference(s) that result in people having this?

I found the build date on the Vehicle Certification Label. It is located several inches below the door latch the on the inside lower drivers door pillar (just in front of the lower hinge for the back door). The date of manufacture (month and year) is in the top row.

• 1 month later...
Here is my theory' date=' parts and manufactures change all the time over the course of a build. Example early ecms may have been tailor to the taurus and on down the ford decided to marry several ecm's together as so they could be used on multiple plate forums. Such as explorer, mks, and taurus, and thru programing they are able to tailor to each individual plate form. And some how thru the tuning process it has turned on this feature. I personally believe this how a lot a features are add to a plate forum, just thru programing that turns on function. Such as on our SHO's we can hold the unlock button for a few seconds to roll down the window, and the MKS can roll it up doing the same thing with hold lock button. Logically if our cars roll them down it certainly has the capability to roll them up. Any how thats just my 2 cents.[/quote']

I believe you are correct about this. Our 2010 Fusion Sport had hill assist, our 2011 does not. When my lovely lady (Who works at a Dealership) spoke to an engineer about it, he was adamant this was not an option in ANY Fusion sport. He was quite surprised when she gave him the VIN of the old one and it was an option.

Sometimes I think the guys building the cars like to throw in "little bonuses" here and there. (Of course they're probably just mistakes) On my SHO, the HVBOM shows my car was built without the deck lid strap....yet there it is. I will post up if I find any more discrepancies between my build sheet and HVBOM.

I think the many changes that occur during different builds may create these situations also. My ST was a mutt....2005 power steering location with 2006 suspension setup. It made it a bit tricky when trying to mod it as I had a combination no one else seemed to have.

Even though our SHO doesn't have this light, it behaves the same as the Fusion that had it when I pull it into SPORT mode.

• 4 weeks later...
When you place your car from 'D' into 'M' it will illuminate.

And if you then tap a paddle, the hill assist icon will disappear and you will be in pure M mode. If you don't tap a paddle and just drive, it will be in hill assist/sport mode.

On some cars....:deadhorse: Not mine! :RpS_glare:

Sorry.....I know this is a touchy subject with you. If it is any consolation, I forget I have the feature all the time - and go long periods without using it - until my 13 year old reminds me.

Last I heard LMS had figured out why and how degrade icon appears, I don't remember what the exact reasons where. But I thought I was told they knew what to turn or off in programing to enable or disable this. Why some have and some don't more then likely has to do with the strategy coding of cars and which program LMS uses to that strategy code.

I just returned it to stock for a service appointment (headlamp unit being replaced due to condensation). Once back to stock' date=' mystery icon is gone........ Still one of life's little unexplained wonders.[/quote']

Just got an email from Rick informing me that they had figured out what was going on with the grade assist issue. He sent me an updated file. I expect the update will do away with the grade assist functionality. I don't think I want to lose the capability. So unless there is a newly discovered unpleasant side effect to this capability, I think I'll keep running my old version of 4+ with the bonus Sport Mode.

Archived